Best antivirus on the market?

Soldato
Hi,

I see reports about TotalAV being the best. https://www.top10bestantivirus.com

Any site the tables McAfee as the 2nd best option should be immediately ignored on the basis of being full of bovine poo. Oh and in their disclaimer, link below...

In order to keep this information service free, top10bestantivirus.com receives monetary compensation from some of the companies featured on our website.

https://www.top10bestantivirus.com/disclaimer

Soldato
I think a/v is a bit of a false economy.

Catching malware via signatures when it tries to execute is basically trying to catch it too late and is ineffective against 0 day.

The anti malware market as a whole is over hyped, people buying software based on fear.

There is very good free solutions available, especially if you run windows 10.

But I would suggest looking at "anti exploit" software. such as HMPA
Windows SRP or APPLOCKER
Run chrome with isolated tabs enabled, and in applocker mode.
Run ublock origin in the browser in advanced mode blocking 3rd party javascript by default, I would also block 1st party javascript by default on non mainstream TLDs.
Cryptoprevent, free software that makes some good default SRP rules.
If you run Windows 10 it now has EMET (anti exploit ) features built in but they disabled by default, highly worth researching on how to use. Wilders security has some good info on it.
Binisoft has an excellent front end for the windows firewall which makes outbound app filtering easy, sadly the company got sold tho and new customers can no longer get the product. But there is a couple of alternatives. It was donate once for "unlimited" activation's. Brilliant value.
There is also some exceleent free stuff from novirusthanks.

http://www.novirusthanks.org/browse-by/malware-protection-tools/

exe radar pro(similar to SRP)
OSarmor
smart object blocker
syshardener

I will try and post more later

Soldato
norton seemed to be one of the things like Netscape Navigator; it was absolutely fantastic for a number of years, and then suddenly just dropped off a cliff, becoming crap/a ballache to use/more expensive etc or any combination of all. i still have NOD32 running, keep thinking of changing it now and again, but every time i have a sesh reviewing AVSs it's the same thing - some sites rate an item "best ever" and others rate it mediocre or crap, so i never know what to trust and end up sticking w/ what i've got.

V F

V F

Soldato
People who remember it from before the 2009 rewrite and haven't/won't give it another look

I was one of them that hated Norton. I gave them up from 2004 until... 2015? Not sure. I spent ages researching and those of gamers. Norton certainly has changed big time. As I've seen very little difference between them and Nod32. At least with Norton it can be used on 5 devices.

Soldato
There is too much misinformation and bought for reviews today to trust any of those "top 10 antivirus" websites. If Norton or McCrappy are anywhere near the top of the list, you might aswell disregard the information off the bat. Smart PC usage is the best approach to staying clean today, the internet is infested with misdirection and product pushing to take advice given at face value. You couldn't pay me to use Norton, well maybe you could ... (what you offering?) ..

Soldato
The best paid software is stuff like rehips and appgaurd, the problem is the prices of these products are obscene and unrealistic for home users.

I think classic a/v is obsolete hence my free recommendations.

You can configure your DNS to 9.9.9.9 (pre-filtered DNS domains - Quad9) for a a bit more protection or for the more technical 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) with some configuration of encrypted DNS services adds to anonymity along with a good VPN service of course.

Interesting.

Is that at the computer level or at the router level? I've been using the Google one (8.8.8.8 I think) but will try your suggestions.

Soldato
Interesting.

Is that at the computer level or at the router level? I've been using the Google one (8.8.8.8 I think) but will try your suggestions.

Similar to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 for Google just put 9.9.9.9/149.112.112.112 (Quad9) or 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare) in your router DHCP settings for the local LAN. Devices with a manual IP address will need the DNS addresses setting individually. That with a decent VPN service should be good enough for most people. There are also encrypted DNS services at the desktop level but that's probably a bit OTT for now.

So 8.8.8.8 is your primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the Secondary DNS and similar for the two alternatives for Quad9 (pre-filtered) or Cloudflare (faster).

Soldato
Any site the tables McAfee as the 2nd best option should be immediately ignored on the basis of being full of bovine poo. Oh and in their disclaimer, link below...

https://www.top10bestantivirus.com/disclaimer

The people that own that site also own the three un-recognised AV brands on there ;) - Those three all use the Avira engine and are geared to upsell you and hammer you on renewals.

Soldato
Unless it's a business server, I still hold that if Windows is fully updated and your not downloading dodgy files then 99.9% of the time you won't get any viruses. Genuine exploits are very rare nowadays and are patched very quickly by Ms.

Soldato
Unless it's a business server, I still hold that if Windows is fully updated and your not downloading dodgy files then 99.9% of the time you won't get any viruses. Genuine exploits are very rare nowadays and are patched very quickly by Ms.

Occasionally I see people popup on a forum asking how to clean an infection.

They sometimes get asked (by me or others) how they got infected, they go very quiet.

That probably means they did something stupid, which backs up what I am saying just been vigilant.

Back
Top Bottom