• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
So you think prices going way up over inflation are acceptable?

Acceptability is out of the window, long gone. The market has changed and its priced most PC gamers out of it. Nvidia and ATI might as well change the name from GPU to PCI-E Supercomputer. Challenge now is to find a happy medium where you get measurable performance over say an Xbox One X with a PC for say, £1,000, which ironically makes the price of the high-end stuff all the more important because it'll command mid-range GPU prices.

Soldato
i didnt say one way or another that your pricing was wrong. Please go back and read, it was a general question too, you were not quoted or asked directly.

I asked if they were the nvidia card that people had to wait 6 months for after paying. Simple question.

I know, I was referring to the £799+ comment by the other guy.

Calm down, dear.

Soldato
Lol, it's a high-tech luxury good, not a life staple.

Nvidia deserve as much profit as they can get away with, as natural reward for doing untouchable engineering in recent years. If what they do was easy, they'd have real completion.

Soldato
What's inflation got to do with it? Not a lot :). GPU's aren't a necessity. And there's far much more to pricing and a company selecting what to sell their products at than inflation.Supply/demand the main two, and of course how much £ they have invested in R&D another....among many more.
NV is way ahead of the competition and I think they've probaby also spent a fair few £££ to get there.
We'd all play the pricing game if we ran such a successful business.

Caporegime
Lol, it's a high-tech luxury good, not a life staple.

Nvidia deserve as much profit as they can get away with, as natural reward for doing untouchable engineering in recent years. If what they do was easy, they'd have real completion.
It's not all genius (although certainly they have a lot of great talent).

The broken US patent system is very much responsible for the lack of competition. The biggest factor in fact.

Basically nobody else but AMD and nV can make GPUs, regardless of how much engineering talent they have. Intel can only make GPUs because of a partnership with AMD.

Only AMD and Intel can make x86 CPUs. You think other companies don't have the talent? No, they don't have the patents. And with patents for even the simplest of "innovations" being granted daily ("rounded corners", anyone?) and lasting 20 years, I'm afraid the patent system is killing competition single-handedly.

Soldato
It's not all genius (although certainly they have a lot of great talent).

The broken US patent system is very much responsible for the lack of competition. The biggest factor in fact.

Basically nobody else but AMD and nV can make GPUs, regardless of how much engineering talent they have. Intel can only make GPUs because of a partnership with AMD.

Only AMD and Intel can make x86 CPUs. You think other companies don't have the talent? No, they don't have the patents. And with patents for even the simplest of "innovations" being granted daily ("rounded corners", anyone?) and lasting 20 years, I'm afraid the patent system is killing competition single-handedly.

^^ Good post.

Caporegime
And just to give an idea how generic those patents are, here are some that AMD own:

"Using a frame buffer to store and process a large amount of data"
"Texture processing circuitry"

Good luck making a GPU and not infringing those ;)

That's why AMD and nV have cross licensing agreements, because otherwise not even they could make a GPU without infringing each other's "patents".

The whole system is broken beyond belief, but US mega-corps love it so it won't change (as long as US politicians can be legally "lobbied" - aka bought).

Associate
Interesting to observe the discounts on the aftermarket 1080s right now, the 1080 Armor is about £100 less than its launch price two years ago.

I smell new shiny tech is incoming. Get ready for the pre-order queues gents :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Interesting to observe the discounts on the aftermarket 1080s right now, the 1080 Armor is about £100 less than its launch price two years ago.

I smell new shiny tech is incoming. Get ready for the pre-order queues gents :D
Got my money ready for a 1180 milk'em edition bro :D

Associate
It irks me to see people believe in baseless speculation spread around by rumor mill sites.
I will say that the supposedly leaked GTX 1180/1170 specs are completely false.

Here is some food for though for all those waiting on Nvidia's next generation: no new GPUs will be announced at Computex this year but instead you will see more of the Big Format Gaming Display as well as 4k 144hz G-Sync HDR monitors.

On the topic of new cards I will say that there will be no 12nm Nvidia gaming GPUs being released in August or similar time frames.
As far as I know Nvidia's new gaming GPUs will be on 7nm and their current release window is set for late November which could be pushed back . If you want/need a new gaming GPU, do not wait, buy Pascal now or you will find yourself waiting until the end of the year or possibly even longer.

Soldato
Again 256 bit bus,Why are Nvidia always holding back on the Bus compared to AMD cards?

I know it probably dont make a huge difference ive always just wondered this.

Caporegime
It irks me to see people believe in baseless speculation spread around by rumor mill sites.
I will say that the supposedly leaked GTX 1180/1170 specs are completely false.

Here is some food for though for all those waiting on Nvidia's next generation: no new GPUs will be announced at Computex this year but instead you will see more of the Big Format Gaming Display as well as 4k 144hz G-Sync HDR monitors.

On the topic of new cards I will say that there will be no 12nm Nvidia gaming GPUs being released in August or similar time frames.
As far as I know Nvidia's new gaming GPUs will be on 7nm and their current release window is set for late November which could be pushed back . If you want/need a new gaming GPU, do not wait, buy Pascal now or you will find yourself waiting until the end of the year or possibly even longer.
The people that know for sure wouldn't be posting that info here, or anywhere, if they valued their jobs.

So there's no reason to believe you any more than the rumour mill sites ;)

Associate
Surely its in the interest of an 'Nv gfx prgmr' for us to be salivating over what's coming such that demand strengthens and when supply comes, his employer gets higher revenues.

Associate
I really want to buy my new PC already got £3k to burn now, but I really don't want to get a 1080TI if this is around the corner.. I was going to get that intel system with a 1070TI just to save money .. the struggle is real just don't know what to do , buy now with a Geforce GTX 1070TI .. or hold out even longer ...

Soldato
I really want to buy my new PC already got £3k to burn now, but I really don't want to get a 1080TI if this is around the corner.. I was going to get that intel system with a 1070TI just to save money .. the struggle is real just don't know what to do , buy now with a Geforce GTX 1070TI .. or hold out even longer ...

If you can wait then wait. The sad part is you're going to have to wait again after preordering a 1180. I remember waiting for nearly 3 months after ordering my 1080Ti. Either way you'll be waiting mate :)

Associate

What's your monitor resolution?

Soldato
Again 256 bit bus,Why are Nvidia always holding back on the Bus compared to AMD cards?

I know it probably dont make a huge difference ive always just wondered this.
Any of the following, maybe?:
1 Because the card doesn't need it. The architecture is different than AMD's
2 Because it's not optimal for the card (why add something not required to get the performance).
3. It's not optimal for its intended uses. If you really need a wider bus you probably need a higher end card.
I've always found NV offer optimal solutions for the intended use of the card (target market, resolution the performance of the card is best suitable for etc).

Why does my yaris not have 4 exhaust pipes like a Ferrari has? :D

Back
Top Bottom