'Make roads safer for bikes'

Soldato
That's why I included the bit from the collision investigator saying that there were indications of him travelling at around 56mph prior to the crash. That's pretty quick; quick enough for a motorist to not notice that they're there while they're pulling out of a driveway. I only know bits of the story myself, although it does look like speed was a fairly large factor, more than the moving around traffic.

I don't know the road myself - but a quick street view, it looks like a 30mph residential road. If the lad was doing over 50 when he hit the car, then... victim of circumstances that he weighted against himself imo.

Soldato
The DVLA will do nothing to make people more aware of bikes no matter what they introduced. The way I see it is you need to take matters into your own hand and give way to stupid.

Soldato
Sounds good, driving test should be made much harder to be honest. Same with the bike test, loads of bikers are nutters.

True, however there are also many nutter car drivers. Someone i knew used to drive his car like an absolute nutter. Ended up driving into a tree and being killed.

The bike tests are tedious enough with two parts and from the age of 19 will have to do my bike test twice (A2 to full A) just to ride a decent sized motorbike which has in all probably will cost me £1000 or more in the required theory, training and tests.

Last edited:
Soldato
True, however there are also many nutter car drivers. Someone i knew used to drive his car like an absolute nutter. Ended up driving into a tree and being killed.

The bike tests are tedious enough with two parts and from the age of 19 I've had to do my bike test twice (A2 to full A) just to ride a decent sized motorbike which has in all probably cost me £1000 or more in the required theory, training and tests.

I think the bike tests are fine. I think CBTs need to be harder, and I think you should have to do your theory before you do your CBT.

I know there are proposed changes to the structure to improve standards, so hopefully these go through soon.

Soldato
I personally think that all drivers should have to perform a CBT to show more skills, roadcraft and also see things from the bikers point of view. Would be a complete eye opener.

I also think the driving test is too easy, as well as the theory test.

I also think that CBTs should be harder, and that a motorbike theory should be mandatory before a CBT can be taken.

Soldato
I agree with the CBT. It's just stupidly easy to pass. I've seen people that can barely operate a clutch or balance on a bike be given a CBT no questions. All they did was attend the day class.

Soldato
I also think that CBTs should be harder, and that a motorbike theory should be mandatory before a CBT can be taken.
Yes to the theory.
CBTs don't need to be harder, as there's nothing in the main test you shouldn't already cover on CBT really.
They do need to be longer, though. A quick 45 minute bimble about town is not enough for a completely new rider to develop the handling and habits needed.

My instructor actually took the time to do what he called 'practical theory', in which we went out and physically did some of the things you only learn about from reading the Highway Code, such as walking around various different parked vehicles, to physically see (and thus understand) when you are and aren't in their blind spots.

Soldato
CBT doesn't need to be longer. It's already 7 hours long. At least mine was. Not all of it was on the road but we got enough experience on the day.

People need to be failed more often though. Everything we were taught was at a good pace for the average person and it certainly separated the good from the bad but at the end of the day everyone was given a certificate which is where it falls over.

Soldato
People need to be failed more often though. Everything we were taught was at a good pace for the average person and it certainly separated the good from the bad but at the end of the day everyone was given a certificate which is where it falls over.
It's training, not a test. You can't fail it... you just need more training.
What it needs is more time on the road ride, ideally NOT after hours and hours of instruction. If it were that good a pace for the average person, you wouldn't need to refuse more people a certificate. It needs time to sink in.

Back
Top Bottom