*** Show Off Your Apple Hardware ***

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Various i devices from the last 14 years. The iPod photo has a flat battery. Both iPods have been converted to flash storage too.

iPod click wheel (4th gen, was 20GB now 32GB), iPod Photo (was 60GB now 64GB), iPhone 4, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S+
gallery_44179_303_297501.jpg

Soldato
Ooh I hadn't thought about LAN storage. Good shout.

LbS55Vf.jpg

Only the moto g camera hence it doesn't show off how truly beautiful it is!

Just realised I've had this laptop for over 4 years, my daily user.. As much as I am a Windows & Android main user, you cannot argue about the quality of these machines. My battery cycle count is over 1000, and the battery is showing as 85% health. I still get hours of use out of it. Absolutely no faults. I've never had to reinstall OSX or anything to keep it running fast. Yes, the SSD is pitiful in this day & age, but nothing a micro SD doesn't manage.

Associate
MacBook Pro 15, Late 2013.
Battery cycle @ 1053, 88% health (good)

But.. My trackpad has just started sticking, I can actually select things well click them, by pressing on the underneeth of my laptop roughly where the trackpad is.

Unsure if its the battery or the touchpad, battery could have started expanding and pushing upwards.

Anyway I've bought a new battery and trackpad just incase its both since one is under the other, now to try and actually replace it!

Caporegime
It strikes me that for all of Apple's desire for design the keyboards and mice don't look very ergonomic. I still remember my Lime green iMac with the hockey puck mouse. What a horrendous peripheral that was. That keyboard above doesn't look particularly good for preventing RSI or something. What's it like to use?

Commissario
For my work PCs, I've always had to use a Microsoft Natural Keyboard because the cheap Dell keyboards really are rubbish and it doesn't take long before I start feeling discomfort in my hands. However, the Apple keyboards are a dream to type on and I have no problems using them at all. I suspect (but have no evidence) that the very small amount of key travel may have something to do with that.

The mouse is a different matter. I've never found an Apple mouse that I'm comfortable with.

Associate
For the lighter tasks I have I thing for the 12" G4 PowerBook. This is my... 6th one.

uSfBnju.jpg
7fb0Ysv.jpg
3JEgm3n.jpg

I use it probably as much as I do my quad i7/16GB/twin HDD/1080p display main machine. Absolutely all of my writing is done in Word '04 on the absolutely luscious keyboard.

I have never used a laptop with a better keyboard, ever. The love started back in '03 when I bought a brand new 867Mhz machine and was smitten with it instantly, so was the person who broke into the family home apparently. It was replaced with another 867 that was used through the end of high school and into Uni, where half way through the school term it rained while I had the roof down on my car. That 867Mhz machine was replaced by a 1GHZ which was used until I got a great deal on trading up to a 1.5Ghz machine. The 1.5Ghz had a faulty logic board (VRAM) so I bought another 1.33Ghz parts machine to resurrect it, but they weren't compatible, so the 1.33Ghz machine ended up getting the HDD/RAM/Airport etc from the 1.5Ghz machine. I sold that in 2012 or so, lived with the HP I have now for 3 or so years until I just had to have another one. Another 1.33 this time.

I tried to buy an Air at the time, but I just... couldn't. The 12" PowerBook G4 is, in my eyes, the greatest laptop ever built, ever.

Please excuse what may be a very simplistic question from a newbie.

I have an almost mint 1GHZ PowerBook G4 which doesn't appear to have an AirCard.

Is there a simple DIY solution to doing this or would I need someone with more experience and expertise to install one. Or d I just take it to an Apple Store and get it done there?

I have some specific tasks and activities that I would really like to use this for.

Thanks for reading.

Best Wishes,
David

Soldato
Depends which 1GHz PowerBook G4. It came in Titanium, and 12",15" and 17" Aluminium versions. Some had it fitted as standard, others it was optional. If it was optional the upgrade is a 2 minute job.

All PowerPC machines are classed as obsolete by Apple. The stores will no longer support anything of that age. Best bet is eBay...

Associate
Depends which 1GHz PowerBook G4. It came in Titanium, and 12",15" and 17" Aluminium versions. Some had it fitted as standard, others it was optional. If it was optional the upgrade is a 2 minute job.

All PowerPC machines are classed as obsolete by Apple. The stores will no longer support anything of that age. Best bet is eBay...

It's a 12" aluminium, running OS X 10.2.7, Machine Model 'PowerBook6,2'

Many thanks,
David

Back
Top Bottom