Fitting a Kitchen

Associate
Anyone fitted DIY kitchen units?

If the room is replastered, with electrics/plumbing sorted, then the units should be easy to shunt together and level?

All my units are base/tall units, so looks easy enough.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
Everyone I know who's ever fitted their own kitchen has always said that it was much more troublesome than they'd expected and that they'd probably never do it again.

That said, they all finished without any major issues - just involved more time, effort and frustration than they'd anticipated.

Soldato
Everyone I know who's ever fitted their own kitchen has always said that it was much more troublesome than they'd expected and that they'd probably never do it again.

That said, they all finished without any major issues - just involved more time, effort and frustration than they'd anticipated.

In my old house I fitted my own kitchen. It was far easier than I expected and the end result is still good today (6 years later). B&Q units, worktop from worktop express, sink/oven etc sourced wherever was cheapest.

Measure until you are 1000% sure of your measurements. Start from the hardest corner and work out from there. Laser spirit level was a HUGE help for getting everything level and consistent

You will need to invest in some good tools if you dont have them already (drill, circular saw, jigsaw, spirit levels, laser level, poss router if joining worktops). Take your time and dont rush. Things WILL go wrong/not according to plan so be prepared for it to take longer than expected and cost more than expected.

Associate
Fitted mine and only kitchens I've ever worked on are my own and one for a relative.
http://imgur.com/eAD3vZq
I took it back to bare bones before fitting.

Like Samcat said you will need some tools if not already owned, drill, router and a big hammer.

Soldato
Its mega important that when you fit a kitchen that it is fitted correctly and by a pro. Its not really a DIY job in my opinion. Anything that doesnt quite line up will be noticed immediately.

Associate
We've got a local guy who will fit the kitchen cheap if you make the units up yourself for him then he fits them in and does the work top etc

Associate
OP
Well I’ve got local guys who I trust to do electrics/plumbing and plastering.
Units are coming pre assembled.
Worktop being fitted by supplier as well.

Will see what the other fitter quotes come in as.

Soldato
Not sure where you’re based but I’ve had 2 quotes around the £600 mark now and one at 1200 (a contracting firm who charge vat) and you’ve seen my layout.

Mine would be same as you in that worktops would be installed after by the worktop suppliers.

I am still tempted to try myself but the wife is less keen. I already own all the relevant tools.

Associate
Well I’ve got local guys who I trust to do electrics/plumbing and plastering.
Units are coming pre assembled.
Worktop being fitted by supplier as well.

Will see what the other fitter quotes come in as.

If the units are preassembled, you don't have any wall units, and the worktop is being fitted separately, then I'd just fit them myself. Otherwise your just paying someone to move them about and fix them to the wall/each other?

Soldato
There isn't anything particularly tricky about it. It's things like scribing end panels and toe kicks, altering pipe work and moving electrics.

Soldato
I've just ordered my DIY Kitchens setup and will be fitting it all myself. I'm
  • Stripping the room back completely
  • Dropping the roof (to enable me to re-plumb some inconvenient pipes)
  • Leveling and re-tiling the floor
  • Re-boarding the roof (after the sparky has done the first pass electrics)
  • A spread is going to replaster the entire room
  • Then I fit the kitchen units, worktops, sink, taps and appliances.
I'm lucky in that mine is a fairly straight galley kitchen with no real oddities so it's pretty easy....in theory. :)

Soldato
Just to hijack this slightly.

I've had 1 quote of £600 and then another guy has come back to me suggesting a day rate of £200 and he estimates it'd be 3 days work so they work out about the same. I'm probably a bit more keen on the second guy but i'm always skeptical of "day rates". Although at the same time i'm not 100% sure how my job is even 3 days worth!

What are the best ways to deal with day rates to ensure it doesn't end up being 5 days and costing a lot more (obviously i could always just not pay it)

Soldato
@ANDARIAL

I think you're in the trade from memory aren't you. Out of interest what bits do you feel people overlook/underestimate?

I think i've moved away from considering it myself just because of a few elements i'm not 100% confident i could do (mainly around internal corner posts and where we flip units around to have some facing one way and others the other way in the island bit) and i think to get it right would take me longer than a professional and a kitchen in a family home isn't something you want out of action for a long time. Plus i have plenty other jobs i am capable of.

However i'd generally considered that the units themselves would be quite easy and just require leveling up/connecting to the one next to it, ala Ikea furniture. With the only real complication being fitting the worktop to a good standard due to the need to get joins/scribes spot on.

Happy to be proven wrong on the above though as i accept it's an ignorant view point :)

Soldato
Yeah i`m a chippy:)
Lining up the base units and allowing for corner posts,scribing end panels and allowing for them as well in measuring :D(Forgot that a few times myself)
Hardest is butt and scribing the worktops (Not cheap for the tools needed)

Associate
Fitted mine 10 years ago (with no experience or fancy tools), it was a simple process. I did get a joiner in to cut the worktop, as this was one area, that if i made a mistake it would be costly. Still using it 10 years later not had any problems with it (apart from a door hing that broke).
I personally would say if you "want" to do it.... do it.

Back
Top Bottom