Pixel 2xl, mate 10 pro or P20 or.....??

Soldato
Hi.
Looking at upgrading my LG G5.
TBH camera is probably the most important feature.
It'll be on sim only
Was thinking of waiting for one plus 6 but speculation is camera won't be all that.
Any other options to think of? had thought of note 8, but not sure if I want a phone that big (previous phone was 6p)
Any links to good deals would be great.
What's the crack with buying 'new' phones off eBay? Are warranties transferable?
Or are they only usable to the original buyer?
Thanks

Soldato
I've had the Mate 10 Pro and currently own a Pixel 2 XL.
The Mate 10 is an excellent phone. Looks incredible and the camera is great as well. However, I just couldn't get on with EMUI. There are a few annoyances with it (like if you want to change your launcher you have to go to setting>apps>default apps>change to the launcher you want to use). Plus who knows how good Huawei will be with updates. If you can get past software it's a good phone.
The Pixel 2 XL is also a great phone. Although I think the Mate 10 is a nicer device overall. BUT the Pixel has stock Android which I just prefer (although I'm using a custom ROM). The camera is probably on par with the Mate 10.
Really it comes down to which software you like.

With regards to warranties: You'll be fine with the Pixel as Google sort all that out. With Huawei it may be more tricky; you'll probably need the original receipt.

Associate
I've seen a few reviews of the P20 Pro where they rave about the camera, but at the end say they're sticking with the Pixel 2 as it's just easier and more reliable.

P20 is great if you want to get hands on with the camera and change settings, Pixel 2 if you want a straightforward point and shoot that takes superb photos.

Soldato
The way it seems to go looking at reviews is that the P20 Pro has the better hardware, and the Pixel the better software.

My experience with the P20 Pro is that it's capable of taking some excellent photos (night mode is really remarkable and the zoom is great) but its software can sometimes be a bit over-zealous in applying effects. My personal bugbear is with "greenery" mode, which on the standard photo setting it automatically switches to if it detects you're taking pictures with a lot of grass or trees in. It applies effects that do make the greens pop in quite a visually pleasing way, but it unfortunately over-saturates and shifts the colour gamut of everything else in the shot too - so my kids' skin tone is all off if they're in a photo in the park, for instance.

Some of the effects are really good, others do mess up the colours a bit. You can turn off these effects, and there are a lot of settings and a "pro" mode that gives you complete control. But 90% of the time with my phone I want to just point and shoot, and it can be a bit annoying having to disable the automatically applied effects. It seems that the software in the Pixel 2 is better at applying more pleasing and natural looking image processing. I'm sure the P20 Pro is capable of taking better shots, but you'd have to spend a minute or so getting the mode and settings right for the shot you want.

Soldato
The way it seems to go looking at reviews is that the P20 Pro has the better hardware, and the Pixel the better software.

My experience with the P20 Pro is that it's capable of taking some excellent photos (night mode is really remarkable and the zoom is great) but its software can sometimes be a bit over-zealous in applying effects. My personal bugbear is with "greenery" mode, which on the standard photo setting it automatically switches to if it detects you're taking pictures with a lot of grass or trees in. It applies effects that do make the greens pop in quite a visually pleasing way, but it unfortunately over-saturates and shifts the colour gamut of everything else in the shot too - so my kids' skin tone is all off if they're in a photo in the park, for instance.

Some of the effects are really good, others do mess up the colours a bit. You can turn off these effects, and there are a lot of settings and a "pro" mode that gives you complete control. But 90% of the time with my phone I want to just point and shoot, and it can be a bit annoying having to disable the automatically applied effects. It seems that the software in the Pixel 2 is better at applying more pleasing and natural looking image processing. I'm sure the P20 Pro is capable of taking better shots, but you'd have to spend a minute or so getting the mode and settings right for the shot you want.

Im inclined to agree with the over saturation of the standard camera mode. I just change to the aperture mode to adjust the F stops and it does away with the "greenery" mode etc.

Soldato
OP
I'd been refreshing the mobile MM page like a fool the the previous week, waiting to pounce on a P2XL, P20..... so I finally go for a phone, then literally an hour later a P20 pro comes on the MM :D

Soldato
I am having the same dilemma and every time I go to buy one I get to checkout and back out :mad: Can't decide. Leaning Pixel but there seems to be lots of people needing to get 2/3/4/5 devices before getting one without issues. Can't be bothered with the hassle so I just end up sticking with my **** phone which annoys me every time I take a bad photo (i.e most photos)

Soldato
I have been on a mate 10 pro for 3 months can't fault it. Battery life is phenomenal, 2 days use without trying. Same with the camera can't fault it. My only issue was when I first had it, the phone wasnt very smooth , it's gotten better with time .

Soldato
So it's a bit old, but I can weigh in on this thread in a bit more detail now, and ask about others' experiences.

I did have a P20 Pro - for about three months before I lost it. As my insurance didn't cover the full value, and I had a high voluntary excess on my house insurance, I got a Mate 10 Pro as a cheaper replacement.

Obviously the P20 Pro is the better phone, and I do miss it. But I don't miss it to the tune of £250 (or I didn't at first, but... see below)!

As others have said, the battery life on the Mate 10 Pro is great - just as good as the P20 Pro as it has the same 4000mAh battery.

The phones both feel the same in day-to-day use. I did prefer the front fingerprint reader on the P20 Pro, but I guess that's just a personal preference (and possible just what I've got used to).

Despite the 0.1" difference in screen size, the P20 Pro has noticeably more screen real estate, and the Mate is feeling a bit cramped to me at the moment. Being able to hide the software buttons on the P20 and having the display bar in the notch gives an amount extra vertical screen space that I can definitely notice in general use.

The trade-off here in favour of the Mate is that it's a bit shorter and a bit easier to hold (the P20 Pro is pretty long and quite top-heavy and I did have a few heart-in-mouth moments when I thought I was about to drop it).

So, these are pretty minor differences for such a big price difference. Until we get to the camera.

Oh, man... the camera!

Obviously the P20 Pro is renowned for its camera hardware and once I'd got used to taming the software I was taking consistently great photos. My first set of shots on the Mate have been... not great. To put it very mildly!

I was pleased to see Huawei had updated the Mate 10 Pro to include Night Shot - a similar option to the P20 Pro's Night Mode. Or so it seems. Night mode on the 20 is astonishingly good. A real jaw-dropping feature. Trying it on the Mate was... well, a mess. I ended up with the most bizarrely saturated and shifted colours. Just all pinky-reddish and way, way over-saturated. Nasty, ugly photos. It may be that the Mate's hardware just can't really hack this mode.

Oh well, I didn't think it would have this option anyway, so no loss, right?

Well, it wouldn't be - IF I could get decent pictures in general. This phone seems to want to over-brighten every shot I take in low light (instead of using the flash). This also crushes detail in lighter tones. A lot of shots have an unpleasant amount of noise in the image too. I have to force it to use the flash in mid-lowish light conditions, and this is only possible in some modes.

Switching to pro mode allows much more natural-looking photos, so the hardware seems okay, but I can't find a single setting outside of pro mode that gives me decent results. Maybe I've been spoiled by the P20 Pro's camera, but I thought the Mate 10 series also reviewed well for photography? Am I doing something wrong?

Despite the positive aspects of this phone, these issues have left me a bit disappointed - I don't want to have to manually select ISO and shutter speed settings for every photo I take!

Back
Top Bottom