X370 to X470 upgrade

Soldato
Did anyone make the upgrade from an X370 to an X470 mobo?

Did you notice any improvements with getting your ram to work at rated speeds and even higher?

I'm thinking of upgrading the X370 Prime Pro to the X470 Prime or the CH7.

Associate
Nice middle ground: The Strix X470-F Gaming. My 3200MHz Teamgroup dropped straight in with DOCP settings. Not attempted to run it faster. Price about 170-180 at present.
Couldn't see the advantage in the extra £££ for the Crosshair.

Soldato

Ridiculously overkill VRMs on the CH7, probably the main selling point vs Strix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PEgofGfz4 Ryzen 3000 would have to be horrendously power hungry to stress this board.

Unless something amazing comes out at Computex, this will be my choice to replace my rubbish B350. Sorry that doesn't help you directly opeth ^^;

*edit* Actually, same guy doing a PCB teardown on the Prime, might be worth a watch:

Soldato
OP
Nice middle ground: The Strix X470-F Gaming. My 3200MHz Teamgroup dropped straight in with DOCP settings. Not attempted to run it faster. Price about 170-180 at present.

Aesthetically the Strix X470-F Gaming looks beautiful.

Do you know if the BIOS has options for Core Performance Enhancer?

I am of the understanding the CH7 Hero has level which you can set.

Soldato
So you think it's worth paying extra over the Prime Pro x470 for something a bit more 'upper class'?

The super strong VRM section on the CH7 catches my eye and makes me feel secure that I can drop a 3000 series into it later down the line and it's not going to have any problems when I do. The PCB breakdown video on the Prime isn't confident about the VRM heatsinks doing a good enough job, although he's basing that on electrical engineering knowledge rather than actual testing. (That said, when a chap's calculating your heat dissipation based on the specific circuitry in place, I tend to trust it more than the marketing blurb!)

But that's just me. I've had nearly a year of being deeply regretful of my motherboard choice and waiting on the 4xx chipsets to change it, and I'd rather pay an extra hundred notes out on one that's rated overkill than get another mid-range disappointment. Figured I'd give it a couple of months in the hope of an mATX option appearing, but if nothing's surfaced by the end of Computex, I'll probably grab a CH7 and deal with the size of it.

Associate
Strix has CPB settings of Disabled or Auto, and PBO options of Enabled, Disabled or Auto.
Afaik, the PBO menu only appeared with the last BIOS version- don't recall seeing it on the version it came with. Perhaps more options will be added in future?
There is a mode select option- but only one mode at present- Mode 0.

From the specs on OCUK, the Strix has slightly better RAM support than the Prime Pro. PPro has better onboard sound, but I send everything to an outboard DAC via USB anyway so that made no odds to me.
I'm feeling my way along so far with this setup, and so far (barring a couple of teething problems in the first couple of days) it's been rock-solid.
No expert with these new Ryzens yet, but just reporting my experiences!

Soldato
OP
Strix has CPB settings of Disabled or Auto, and PBO options of Enabled, Disabled or Auto.
Afaik, the PBO menu only appeared with the last BIOS version- don't recall seeing it on the version it came with. Perhaps more options will be added in future?
There is a mode select option- but only one mode at present- Mode 0.

From the specs on OCUK, the Strix has slightly better RAM support than the Prime Pro. PPro has better onboard sound, but I send everything to an outboard DAC via USB anyway so that made no odds to me.
I'm feeling my way along so far with this setup, and so far (barring a couple of teething problems in the first couple of days) it's been rock-solid.
No expert with these new Ryzens yet, but just reporting my experiences!

Cool.

Thanks for that. The first part about PBO etc... sounds the same as my X370 Pro.

I'll need to think on this. Because spending £200 on average for a new mobo for slightly higher ram speed and maybe more MHz from the CPU my not be worth it.

All this has come about mostly due to my 8 Pack ram not being able to run at DOCP on my current board.

I've tried everything for the last 4 weeks even RMA'd the ram but the returned ram still wont run with out freezing at 3200MHz.

I have to run it at 3133MHz.

Problem is things like this nag. Only so long I can ignore until I finally do something about it. I'm also thinking is my x370 board getting the most out of the 2700x in terms of it's auto overclocking features.

I'm seeing all core boosts of 4GHz and I suspect single core boosts just under 4.2GHz (4.16GHz)

Associate
Yeah, been keeping an eye on the Ryzen 2 thread. Speeds similar to yours with stock cooler- although mine seems to single-core to the rated 4.35GHz, very similar all-core, 4.12GHz.
New waterblock delivered yesterday, so as soon as I pluck up the enthusiasm I shall be transplanting my WC into this rig. And I'm 99% sure I'll see no benefit from it, but hey-ho. Wait n see...

I'm sure you've tried everything- another 0.1v on the RAM, not sure if you can put extra volts to the IMC (if such a setting exists) as I've not needed to. But I get you, these little things can be sent to try us. Guess you got unlucky.

Soldato
another 0.1v on the RAM, not sure if you can put extra volts to the IMC (if such a setting exists) as I've not needed to. But I get you, these little things can be sent to try us. Guess you got unlucky.

Don't hold me to it, but I believe the SoC voltage is responsible for the IMC. I have to punt mine up a little to get my RAM anywhere close to rated 3200, but I don't want to take it over 1.1v. Pretty sure I've read that it's not even worth doing so, because you get negative returns much beyond that.

Associate
I'd recommend the X470-F Gaming. I got one to replace my garbage Crosshair VII hero and it's been amazing. Never had a single crash ever since initial install and setting my memory to 3200 c14

Back
Top Bottom