New Bike Suggestions

Associate
Hi All,

Recently been getting back on the Bike after a number of years and currently riding a Boardman Comp Mtb but looking to get a new road/adventure/cx as they'd be more suitable to most of the riding I'll be doing.

Having a hard time choosing though, wonder if I could get some suggestions in case I'm missing something obvious.

I would say 90% of the time I'll be riding on Road but on my Commute there is a short gravel/mud section which a pure road bike wouldnt be suitable. Also, going to be doing the coast to coast soon and would like to be able to do this on the new Bike.

So far, I've looked at the Pinnacle Arkose 3 and Boardman CX Team and probably favouring the Pinnacle as I'm not convinced I'll get on with the 1x on the Boardman but haven't ruled it out yet.

Any others you would recommend looking at? Would say a max budget of £1500.

Cheers

Soldato
Arkose can definitely handle some light touring, but for anything much longer you might feel the lack of front rack mounts. They really help your weight distribution when fully loaded. And yeah, 1x can be great for a fun throw around bike but it's not ideal for carrying a touring load up a steep hill. That said you could always go with a smaller chainring at the front.

Jamis Renegades have front mounts, but the only model in this price range is the Expat which is steel frame, carbon fork, TRP Spyres and still a little overgeared. Trek Crossrip/Checkpoint or Specialized Diverge might be worth having a look at if you think you might get more into touring.

Associate
OP
To be honest, dont think I'll be doing much touring, I know I'm doing the coast to coast but wont be carrying much on the bike.

Main riding will be commuting (again, wont be carrying much) and some longer rides on a weekend etc. Would guess no more than 50-60 miles mostly road with some gravel thrown in.

Soldato
Planet X London Road might be worth a look. I have one which served very well as a commuter on a similar route to what you describe.

I think I read that they were possibly about to relaunch it with some amendments to the frame (but that may have been speculation).

Not the lightest but the wheels are cheap and an obvious first place to consider upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom