4tb 2.5" and not Seagate... does it exist?

Soldato
And if not, why not?

Cannot stand Seagate. Terrible failure rates in my experience. Never thrown one away due to old age, always due to death in service.

Appreciate any info on alternatives :)

Soldato
OP
The only one I'm aware of is a Samsung SSD but it'll set you back a grand.

Doesn't have to be SSD :) I'm eyeballing the possibility of switching to an ITX build and thinking that a 4tb mechanical drive for media plus SATA and m.2 SSDs for programs and games would be adequate and tiny.

Soldato
Does the storage have to be internal? If not you could pick up a re-certified WD My Passport Ultra hard drive 4tb for around the £55 - 65 mark (depending on colour). They come on offer every so often. I use these for both my XBOX's as additional storage. Plus if you needed it for internal usage you could always break the drive out of the caddy and plumb it in to your machine.

Associate
Doesn't have to be SSD :) I'm eyeballing the possibility of switching to an ITX build and thinking that a 4tb mechanical drive for media plus SATA and m.2 SSDs for programs and games would be adequate and tiny.
It might have to be if it has to be 2.5" and not seagate or SAS.

Does the storage have to be internal? If not you could pick up a re-certified WD My Passport Ultra hard drive 4tb for around the £55 - 65 mark (depending on colour). They come on offer every so often. I use these for both my XBOX's as additional storage. Plus if you needed it for internal usage you could always break the drive out of the caddy and plumb it in to your machine.
You might find that drive internally doesn't have a SATA port on it and has USB direct to the circuit board on the drive.

Soldato
OP
Does the storage have to be internal?

Tbh, if it doesn't exist, I'll just make sure to pick my case accordingly. If there was a 4tb 2.5" option then it would pretty much fit anywhere, but if it's too much to ask then I'll keep my current 3.5".

I have this... much prefer it over mechanical... game drive mostly... it's not just the speed improvement... it's the lack of noise - making my PC bordering on silent

Oh believe me, I know, I have 3x SSDs right now after a series of OS-drive upgrades over several years xD On the other hand, I just plain need a bit of bulk storage in addition; mostly for media and the odd backup, stuff that doesn't have to read/write quickly.

It might have to be if it has to be 2.5" and not seagate or SAS.

Which does make me sad, because if Seagate can do it, why can't anyone else? :< Nevertheless, appreciate the help :) I guess I'll make sure to pick up a case that can accommodate a 3.5" drive. Although I might consider a basic NAS box... wireless AC has reinvigorated my network, it might be more viable than it was until now!

Associate
Something like a wd my cloud is quite useful. you can stick it anywhere so you don't have to hear it and it stays on all the time so no one gets interrupted because of a reboot.

Soldato
OP
Something like a wd my cloud is quite useful. you can stick it anywhere so you don't have to hear it and it stays on all the time so no one gets interrupted because of a reboot.

I used to have a little 1tb NAS, but it no longer shows up on the network so I assume it's died... It was terrible anyway, transfer speeds were awful. Maybe a better one is in order :)

Soldato
OP
The only 4tb 2.5" available afaik is the "Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 2.5", but even that's not really suitable for anything as it's 15mm height, so won't fit in a standard 2.5" bay

The height might be exactly why nobody else makes one, tbh... I'll review what I've got and what I need. I suspect I can bring the 4TB drive down to much less (like 1-1.5) at which point the problem is much easier to solve. Existing 4TB could go in a NAS box for backups :)

...although if I go through with this, I will end up discarding a motherboard, CPU, case, soundcard, PSU, 1tb hdd and 256gb ssd... Dangerously close to having to admit it's no longer the same mop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Many years ago, I would swear by seagate.
Now, I would swear at them. I would rather do without than suffer with a seagate because every day I will be waiting for it to die... And it will.
I am also sick of buying brand new seagate drives only to see the green line around it... You know that you have had a recertified one and again... Its died before, it will die again.
Im sick of arguing that out - especially when I expect to buy a brand new disk and I dont get one.

Seagate should be banned from selling disks IMHO.

Im giving Toshiba a try out as of late. WD are my mainones to go for. WD Black. but I have been buying Toshibas mostly and so far, I am very happy.

Soldato
I have this... much prefer it over mechanical... game drive mostly... it's not just the speed improvement... it's the lack of noise - making my PC bordering on silent
I much prefer having £1000 in my bank account :D
Many years ago, I would swear by seagate.
Now, I would swear at them. I would rather do without than suffer with a seagate because every day I will be waiting for it to die... And it will.
I am also sick of buying brand new seagate drives only to see the green line around it... You know that you have had a recertified one and again... Its died before, it will die again.
Im sick of arguing that out - especially when I expect to buy a brand new disk and I dont get one.

Seagate should be banned from selling disks IMHO.

Im giving Toshiba a try out as of late. WD are my mainones to go for. WD Black. but I have been buying Toshibas mostly and so far, I am very happy.
I had a WD Black Caviar and still use it but compared to my Barracuda it's loud as hell and not any quicker, TBH I think most of it is just luck with hard drives.

Soldato

Green line around it? What do you mean, between the halves sealing it or something else? Was considering a seagate as there don't seem to be many options for larger 7200rpm drives (seagate, toshiba or expensive wd black). Don't want a recert if I did, but not sure what I would be looking at.

Thanks.

Associate
All the 4TB 2.5" drives I've seen to date are Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) rather than PMR which means they're suited for backups and other tasks where writes are mainly sequential writes rather than random.

I use a number of 4TB 2.5" for off site backups (WD Passport and Seagate) and even though that's just copying over large backup files sequentially from my server they're a lot slower than 2TB 2.5" PMR drives and any reads while writing are also badly affected. So although media use sounds like a reasonable use case I don't think I would use either of the ones I've tried for that.

Soldato
Seagate 2.5" drives are a different line for there 3.5" drives.

So if your using 3.5" drive deaths as a reference it's maybe not a good reference.

I take it you know most 4tb 2.5" HDDs are extra fat? :)

Back
Top Bottom