• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 1080ti is too loud!

Associate
Hey guys,

I have a 1080ti Founders Edition, and now that the weather is getting warmer the card is so loud under load! It is like a fighter jet! The noise is starting to partially irritate me lol.

Any ways I can reduce this short of selling the card? Don't really want to sell just to buy a another non reference 1080ti

Soldato
Guessing the only way is to watercool it or put a third party cooler on it.

Reference cooler is to be avoided if noise is a concern.

The last graphics card I had with a reference cooler was an 8800GT...never again!

Granted it was a single slot cooler so it was never going to be quiet, but it drove me up the wall.

So much so I put a twin slot cooler on it. much quieter!

Soldato
Use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision X (or similar) and limit the fan profile. The card will drop boost clocks accordingly. It does mean clock speeds drop as a result, but will lower the noise. Hybrid option / water blocks are the other options.

Associate
OP
Use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision X (or similar) and limit the fan profile. The card will drop boost clocks accordingly. It does mean clock speeds drop as a result, but will lower the noise. Hybrid option / water blocks are the other options.

I have it overclocked running at 2GHz core aswell, not keen on dropping the fan and dropping core speeds lol. Really would be ideal if it was cool and quiet

What case, and can you increase airflow within case?

Thermaltake Core P5, its open air, so there is not really any airflow in or out if that makes sense.

Soldato
I have it overclocked running at 2GHz core aswell, not keen on dropping the fan and dropping core speeds lol. Really would be ideal if it was cool and quiet

Well that is your issue if your trying to hold 2 GHz and have overclocked the GPU I guess. I would just reset it to stock to be honest. Recall I was often running around the 1800-1850 mark on the core with stock fan profile which is relatively quiet prior to water. 200 MHz - 150 MHz drop in clock speed is not going to mean your dropping massive amount of FPS to be honest, more so if the noise is annoying. Little you will be able to do, even blowing cool air onto the card if you want to maintain that sort of overclock outside of water / hybrid cooler.

Soldato
Get an NZXT G12 bracket and a compatible AIO. Best thing I did to my 980ti. Managed to get a H55 for 30 quid, so total cost was £50 for better temps and near silent operation under load.

Soldato
Have you make sure you case actually have decent airflow with cool air being brought into it, rather than leaving the poor card suffocating spinning the fans like crazy fighting for air?

Associate
I found the stock coolers performance to noise ratio atrocious on the Titan X Maxwell. Was fine after putting a EVGA Hybrid kit on it.

I find it hard to see why anyone would want the stock Founders over a decent aftermarket card, unless:

A They have limited airflow and have to exhaust

B Will put it under water

C Wear loud headphones :p

So many aftermarket cards can hold lower temps under load with significantly less fan RPM than the stock blowers.

Associate
I dropped a few degrees (or fan RPMs) changing the paste on my reference 780Tis to Kryonaut. Not a huge difference though - <5 degrees - and they are older cards so who knows how much the paste has deteriorated over the years.

Still made a noticeable difference to noise with them both running at full pelt.

Associate
As others have said, get the Kraken bracket and an AIO. I had the exact same issue as you, but on a much lesser card. I got the OCUK TechLabs Kraken kit and it's dropped temps by a staggering amount and it's operationally silent. Well worth the £99

Back
Top Bottom