England world cup squad announced

Soldato
I think Stones is more LOL then Jones personally.

I don't get the Delph, Young AND Rose either. I'm assuming its versatility but Delph isn't a very good midfielder...Id of dropped Delph for Lallana / Wilshire myself.

Don
Thoroughly deserved call-up for Trent - if England are going to play 3-5-2 then there's no better right wingback in the country and shouldn't just be in the squad but he should be starting. Really don't understand Lallana being on stand-by - presumably the only reason he's not in the 23 is because of fitness issues so if you don't think he's fit enough to go then why have him on stand-by?

Associate
That looks very much like a squad aimed at 'building for the future'. So long as we go into the tournament with that in mind and don't succumb to the usual media hype then it's fine.

Southgate has a tough job on his hands setting expectations though and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets fired as a knee-jerk reaction after we go out early

Don
Thoroughly deserved call-up for Trent - if England are going to play 3-5-2 then there's no better right wingback in the country and shouldn't just be in the squad but he should be starting. Really don't understand Lallana being on stand-by - presumably the only reason he's not in the 23 is because of fitness issues so if you don't think he's fit enough to go then why have him on stand-by?

Won't everyone be unfit by the time the WC starts anyway :D

Soldato
That looks very much like a squad aimed at 'building for the future'. So long as we go into the tournament with that in mind and don't succumb to the usual media hype then it's fine.

Southgate has a tough job on his hands setting expectations though and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets fired as a knee-jerk reaction after we go out early

I think expectations are the lowest they've been in my lifetime. The only way I can see Southgate getting fired is if he puts in a Hodgson esqu performance, and we turn up and jog around the pitch for three matches and then come home.

I still think he's the wrong man for the job though. We need someone that brings a footballing philosophy. I'd be hard pushed to say what Southgates style is. His managerial career is remarkably unremarkable.

Soldato
There is a worrying lack of creativity in midfield. Henderson and Dier are solid and efficient midfielders but they're not exactly going to thread through-balls to the strikers and chip in with goals. Also, Smalling must be a bit annoyed that Cahill and Jones are in the squad over him. I'm guessing he's taking Cahill for his experience and leadership qualities, but he's not exactly played much football this season and has been poor when he has. I'm really glad he's taking TAA and Loftus Cheek, they've both had good seasons and deserve to be there.

It'll be interesting to see what formation Southgate plays and who makes the first XI. I think Walker, Henderson, Dier, Alli, Sterling and Kane are guaranteed to start if fit, but the other five could be anyone from the squad. I'm hoping he plays a front three of Kane, Sterling and Rashford, then have Alli in behind that three with Dier and Henderson the other two in midfield, being a bit more defensive minded to protect the back four.

Caporegime
I hope they battered every game and we can have loads of cliches about pride, 110% and how much it means (to their agents). 2nd rate football played in a backwards country.

Luckily as an Everton fan I don’t have to worry about any of our players getting injured except Pickford.

Caporegime

That seems to be the excuse every single tournament. It’s not worked for about 2 generations now.

Caporegime

Aside from a few players I’d say none of them are world class quality players like players we have had before.

Don’t get me wrong, they aren’t bad by any stretch, but that’s about it.

Soldato
Using BBC's Starting XI selector at www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44116448 really highlights how poor our midfield is. I'm no expert and I don't watch a lot of games but every time I've seen Dier play I'm really not keen. I'd like to see his pass stats but he always seems to do a quick lay off to someone stood right next to him or a long pass back. And I know you don't need to be running round like a mad man to make space but his passing along with his movement and he always just looks really lazy.

Soldato
We never do the building for the future thing well anyway because we swing between polar opposite approaches - either everyone gets picked because they have a famous name / club regardless of any form whatsoever but may form some sort of team familiarity or almost completely form based but the team changes every other game and the squad is completely different every time we come to a few internationals so no one learns a role or gels with others.

Soldato
Legend :D

https://twitter.com/ItsWillP/status/996674109454024704

Will Palacios‏ @ItsWillP
@JackWilshere oright lad i know you're not off world cup so fancy coming Zante with me and the lads let me know sound x

https://twitter.com/JackWilshere/status/996674847727149056

Jack Wilshere‏Verified account @JackWilshere
Jack Wilshere Retweeted Will Palacios

1f923.png
1f923.png
let me know the dates and I'm in

Soldato
An awful lot of full-back options if the Walker 3-at-the-back system isn't working or a true centre-back gets injured. Tarkowski certainly should have been in.

Not a fan of Welbeck's inclusion as he's done nothing and we have plenty of similar pacey-but-not-especially-technical or clinical players already - could have done with a another box player (even Defoe perhaps) or even Andy Carroll to cause chaos for those last-minute desperation attempts. We really don't have many options when if we need to change things, more lots of similar players to cover for injuries.

Generally a more exciting squad compared to the usual big name rubbish though. Last 16 probably, last 8 perhaps if we're lucky. But in all honesty that's where we are at anyway.

Don
Lallana has played 234 minutes in the prem all season how can he be on standby, Welbeck going is a complete joke.
As above, the Lallana thing makes zero sense. Southgate really rates Lallana so I can understand picking him in the 23 if he really wanted but if he's decided he's not fit enough to be in the squad, why then put him on stand-by? Surely it's either in the 23 or not at all.

Soldato
It really smacks of a get-the-ball-to-Kane tactic being our only option. The fact that he's gone for Delph and Young and Rose is a bit conservative IMO - yes Young and Delph can fill other roles within the side, but they're both rubbish options for those roles. Think Bertrand can count himself unlucky. Can totally see why Welbeck has been included - he tends to do well at international level, 15 goals in 37 appearances is very decent, and he's mobile, which Southgate clearly prefers.

I'm quite enjoying the lack of expectation at the moment, hopefully it won't rise as we get closer to the tournament.

Back
Top Bottom