Text 2 Email

i'm looking for a way for staff to text something to a mobile number, and that then gets converted to an email and sent to us.

anyone know of such a thing that doesn't cost the earth? found something but at £200+ per year inc vat was too much for the little we'd use it

we have an unused old mobile phone which we could put a sim into and perhaps get an app that auto backs up the texts to emails, however i'd rather an automated system that doesn't require a mobile being left on charge 100% of the time for the one off texts we'd get.

Soldato
OP
Why do you need something like this? Surely your staff can just send emails from their phone?

yes but enough wouldn't feel comfortable enough to do this and have probably never sent an email. i want to make it simple so that they can really easily send a text and that's it. no fuss for them. any requirement and i know it just wont happen in the end.

Instead of texting a mobile number text an email address....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/how-to/how-to-send-texts-to-email/

Must have MMS enabled phone/plan...

thanks but unfortunately i can't rely on that. I tested this myself and it didn't work, and would be too much of a PITA if staff were doing this and unknowingly wasn't working for them.

Soldato
I've used www.textlocal.com to do this before.
Create an account and set up an inbox (it'll get assigned a 5 digit number to text and a unique reference, like "HGH1R")
Configure it to forward all messages to your email address.

Users then need to send the text to the 5 digit number and start their message with the reference:

"HGH1R Hi OP, here is an email"

edit: I thought this was familiar. Just realised I recommended textlocal to you in a similar thread last year. I guess you already have an account then?

Soldato
You're the cleaning guy right? What about Whatsapp? Our cleaner uses it. I'm not sure of your specific needs (ie what happens next) but using another SIM and Whatsapp Web you could potentially scrape the contents of that.

The to email bit, who is that going to? Just you or?

Soldato
OP
Not to me it'll be a girl who works once a week Staff will send her things throughout the week which she can do when she's in. At the moment they tell me, "I need this, this needs to be done" etc, then I need to remember to tell her or they need to remind me at a better time and not while we are on sites, but too often we naturally forget so wanted a simple way for them whenever they remember anything they just text it to a number and she will pick it up on email when in the office.

Soldato
WhatsApping a PAYG number that she just accesses via WhatsApp Web would work. It's searchable and you can access media pretty easily (photos of properties/damage etc?). And she can message back with questions via WiFi and that becomes a bit more conversational than having to email/text back.

You could have it setup in 2 minutes and it'll be intuitive from your cleaners' side. Plus it'd be free apart from the initial £10 top-up.

Soldato
There appear to be plenty of Android Apps that'll forward incoming SMS messages to an email address.

An Android phone capable of handling this wouldn't cost much.

Compared to the other options it's pretty straightforward. If you don't want it on charge 24/7 plug it in via a cheap timer and only charge it enough to keep it topped up.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the suggestions. Will go with an android I think then as there will be other possible uses having a phone in the office, for instance when her phone is on silent and doesn't answer she will get a very loud shock when I ring the office phone

Soldato
Would it not just be easier to have a little app written for the phone that sits on the desktop. they click it, write their message and hit send.

You can have it pre-setup with the correct email to send it too
You can set it up so that it automatically add's their ID

It's even easier than sending a text for them and you still get a nice email come through with none of the hassle of training. Although, email training would be beneficial for all of your staff if they'd struggle with it.

You could probably even knock up a quick one with these Android WYSIWYG app creators

OR

A simple icon that links to a google form. Fill it in, save, done

Last edited:
Soldato
Not to me it'll be a girl who works once a week Staff will send her things throughout the week which she can do when she's in.

It sounds like you need some sort of ticket tracking system. Do you already have one to which you can add 'Tasks for Jane'? This may sound like overkill but it will help her manager and her justify her job. Jane can then log into a terminal, view her tasks, then mark them as complete when done.

If it's web-based, she could see it on her mobile.

Soldato
OP
we have something at the moment which we can create a todo list and assign who it's for and the importance, however that's for me and one other and not something i'd use for staff.

you're asking 60 year old ladies to do way too much. they want to vacuum floors and empty bins, they don't want to be logging into websites to ask for vacuum bags, nor downloading apps.

thinking about it. if there is such as thing as SMS divert from the operator, i could get a number that auto diverts text to me, then set up a rule that texts i get from that number are auto sent on by email. anyone know if such as thing exists with operators? i know call forwarding is a thing but not sms forwarding

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom