What fittings for 7/16 Tubing?

Associate
Hey all,

Looking for the final parts of my loop now. I just require the final fittings and tubing. I am slightly confused by tubing / barb sizes though.

I was looking at 7/16 tubing like so:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-duraclear-tubing-16-11-clear-1m-wc-9dl-ek.html

Then I was looking at these 1/2" barbs:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-g1-4-to-1-2-barb-fitting-chrome-wc-108-xs.html

If i remember correctly 7/16 tubing over 1/2" barbs is a nice tight fit, is this correct?

Additionally I require some clamps over this, but I am not sure which ones are good?

Thanks

Soldato
Hey all,

Looking for the final parts of my loop now. I just require the final fittings and tubing. I am slightly confused by tubing / barb sizes though.

I was looking at 7/16 tubing like so:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-duraclear-tubing-16-11-clear-1m-wc-9dl-ek.html

Then I was looking at these 1/2" barbs:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-g1-4-to-1-2-barb-fitting-chrome-wc-108-xs.html

If i remember correctly 7/16 tubing over 1/2" barbs is a nice tight fit, is this correct?

Additionally I require some clamps over this, but I am not sure which ones are good?

Thanks

The EK tubing is fine if a little pricey, if you want to use barbs rather than compression fittings, I perfer the screw type hose clamps over plastic crocodile clip types even if they are more ugly

Soldato
FYI they're called jubilee clips in the trade :)

Are you really keen on barbed fittings? I haven't seen them used in a new build for ages, thought everyone has gone to compression fittings. 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs can be tricky too.

Man of Honour
Save yourself some money and buy the much cheaper 16/10mm Mayhems tubing instead. It's excellent stuff and easy to work with. I have used expensive tubing such as Primochill LRT in the past and won't use anything but the Mayhems stuff now. With the money saved buy some 16/10mm compression fittings. Barbs and Jubilee clips just look terrible and are what we used a decade ago before compression fittings existed.

Associate
OP
FYI they're called jubilee clips in the trade :)

Are you really keen on barbed fittings? I haven't seen them used in a new build for ages, thought everyone has gone to compression fittings. 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs can be tricky too.

Thanks, and yes i like the simplicity / secureness of them. A little boiling water should help them squeeze over

Save yourself some money and buy the much cheaper 16/10mm Mayhems tubing instead. It's excellent stuff and easy to work with. I have used expensive tubing such as Primochill LRT in the past and won't use anything but the Mayhems stuff now. With the money saved buy some 16/10mm compression fittings. Barbs and Jubilee clips just look terrible and are what we used a decade ago before compression fittings existed.

Thanks, i will take a look at the tubing. Not keen on compression fittings though, I like the simplicity and secureness of barbs

Man of Honour
Compression fittings are basically a barb and clip all in one but they look much better. They are just as secure as a barb and jubilee clip. There is no way I can pull my tubing out of my compression fittings. I know because I tried because I was paranoid about loose fittings as well.

Associate
OP
Compression fittings are basically a barb and clip all in one but they look much better. They are just as secure as a barb and jubilee clip. There is no way I can pull my tubing out of my compression fittings. I know because I tried because I was paranoid about loose fittings as well.

The thing that is confusing is how do you know when it is fully in with a compression fitting. With a barb it is cut and dry when a tube is fully secure. Also dont you have to mess around with O rings with compression fittings?

Soldato
The thing that is confusing is how do you know when it is fully in with a compression fitting. With a barb it is cut and dry when a tube is fully secure. Also dont you have to mess around with O rings with compression fittings?
I think you're thinking of hard-line compression fittings. In those, the hard tube goes in, through one or more o-rings. So it's tricky to know how far in it is and stuff. But soft tubing compression fittings are, as pastymuncher said, a barb with a ring over it. So you push the tubing onto the barb, it's on when you can see it's on, then tighten the ring. You can test it by pulling... How do you know when a barb and clip is fully tightened?

Associate
OP
I think you're thinking of hard-line compression fittings. In those, the hard tube goes in, through one or more o-rings. So it's tricky to know how far in it is and stuff. But soft tubing compression fittings are, as pastymuncher said, a barb with a ring over it. So you push the tubing onto the barb, it's on when you can see it's on, then tighten the ring. You can test it by pulling... How do you know when a barb and clip is fully tightened?
Oh wow okay fair enough.

So with compression fittings i see the tube has to match the inner and outer diamater.

So for 16/10 compression fittings i would need 16/10mm 5/8 tube correct?

Man of Honour
As long as the compression fittings and tubing are the same size you should be fine. You can also use 16/10mm Mayhems tubing on 16/11mm (7/16") compression fittings as well because I am doing just that as I didn't have enough 16/10 fittings so reused some of my 7/16" ones. It is a very tight fit though. There are some very nice Barrow (basically the same as Bitspower but much cheaper) fittings on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom