• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Prices coming down for graphic cards?

Associate
Might have a warranty but still means the MTBF has "probably" taken a hammering if used for mining. Of course you're relying on sellers being honest and that's why I'd avoid buying GPU's used unless from a trusted seller.
Also most sellers don't allow for the card having been used for mining when it comes to pricing, they expect their card is worth the same as one that's been lightly used. Extreme example being miners expecting their two year old 1080's or 1070's to be worth the same as a used one bought 2 months ago used for gaming only. People seem to pay the prices though, caring little when it was bought sometimes which surprises me.
Of course, even GPU's for mining could last a long time - it's just the unknown factor. It's expected that something being used 24/7 and being hammered more than being idle, is "probably" not going to last as long as one sat idling or in a machine turned off for 18 hours a day.

IMO most GPU's overpriced when used. Even something a few months old should really be worth 25% to 30% less than new IMO, partly as the warranty is not guaranteed and also it's just worth paying 25% more to get something brand spanking new :p.

I'd agree about the MTBF but I think you need more information on a cards life to make a good judgment. Unfortunately we don't have gpu stats like total power on hours values might be of more value like they do in hard drives. Then you can compare total power on hours with purchase date. It's a similar to cars and mileage \age

Associate
I am 1 of those people that is sitting on the fence my System is super old now , I7 2600k 4.6ghz , 8GB ram DDR3 , 500 SSD , GTX 780.

I want a whole new system budget is £2500 was going to get the Germanium pre built system now , but I don't know if its worth getting a 1080TI for the insane price over a 1070TI the £400 difference is a lot, but would it make sense to just get all the parts off here & buy the Gfx card second hand? I just don't know what to do ... I already been waiting two months but I just don't want to buy then all of a sudden the new 11 series is out.. how much cash would I save..

Associate
You can be sure the new series is coming but you can also be sure it'll cost more than the current ones approx £50 to £100 more RRP on a founders would be my guess and taking in to account weak pound. The higher up the market you want to enter the more you stand to lose in depreciation. The new cards are likely to be a slight step up with gddr6 but don't expect revolutionary jumps. There isn't the competition in the market for it. If it was me and you know you want to get the new generation. I'd guess they will be here by Xmas then go second hand depending on your budget. That will minimise your depreciation. The best thing to do would be to wait though unless you feel you can't. Nvidia will out something by Xmas I would think probably earlier if rumours are true.

The most important thing you really need to ask is what monitor do you have and can the current generation max it out. If yes then the new generation doesn't matter as much. Match the gpu to your resolution and refresh rate requirements.

Associate
I have 42inch 3D TV 1080 at moment that am using for this computer, am sick & tired of playing all my games on medium such as fallout 4 / Witcher 3 & so on, I been saving for a few weeks now & there is no way I can wait till Xmas, I was aiming to buy a new computer no later then end of May, this is why its so frustrating I have saved hard for about 5 weeks finally got £2500 together but I am in no way shape or form rich to just waste 100s here & there so if I can save £300 I would giving the option.

I just don't know how much longer I can hold out tho I really want a 1080TI but its just not worth paying over £650 for a card thats 2yrs old

Associate
I have 42inch 3D TV 1080 at moment that am using for this computer, am sick & tired of playing all my games on medium such as fallout 4 / Witcher 3 & so on, I been saving for a few weeks now & there is no way I can wait till Xmas, I was aiming to buy a new computer no later then end of May, this is why its so frustrating I have saved hard for about 5 weeks finally got £2500 together but I am in no way shape or form rich to just waste 100s here & there so if I can save £300 I would giving the option.

I just don't know how much longer I can hold out tho I really want a 1080TI but its just not worth paying over £650 for a card thats 2yrs old

Okay so 1080p at 60hz as it's a TV will be maxed out by a 1060 depending on your game. Anything else is a bonus. What you gpu do you have now as a 970 will get you 60hz at that Res on Witcher 3.

Associate
I'd post in the general thread with your budget and ask people to spec. 2500 is way more than you need assuming you don't want a monitor as well. 1080p isn't demanding.

To be honest while your system is old it still is good so just update the gpu save the cash a bit longer for something that really makes a difference. You won't get much from a new CPU motherboard and ddr4 unless you do more than gaming.

If it was me I'd just update the gpu. You won't be disappointed.

Associate

As Aurhinius said - 1060. Some good discounts on those now, specially the Zotac Amp, Palit Super Jetstream and the MSI one (not the armor - the one with the cool red fan).

If you want more than that, RX 580.. just go with the 8gb cos the 4gb is stupidly overpriced. Else, yeah second hand 970 - and why do you only have 8gb ram? :p

Associate
I thought my PC was a lot younger then It is , I went traveling for two years came back looked at my old OC order & it was from late 2011! so my cpu / ram GTX 780 is very very old, even tho am running 1080 I wanted a little bit of future proof thats why am willing to spend £2500 on just the computer so that in time if I want to upgrade my screen I can do so, the computer is lacking a lot now tho it stutters on the latest games if I do to much, I just fancy a whole new system not sure what am going to do with my old computer its fine to run anything 2016 or below, but anything beyond that it just suffers.

in a ideal world , I wanted a I7 8700k 4.9Ghz , 32GB of ram 3200 or greater , 500 SSD 2.0 or whatever it is , a GTX 1080 TI but not costing a fortune & another 4 TB hardrive just for storage for steam so that I can put some games on the 500gb I have a spare 250 SSD just for windows 10 , trying to find all that within £2500 but not getting ripped off at the same time, thats why I was thinking of getting the gfx card from a different location second hand perhaps

Associate
I thought my PC was a lot younger then It is , I went traveling for two years came back looked at my old OC order & it was from late 2011! so my cpu / ram GTX 780 is very very old, even tho am running 1080 I wanted a little bit of future proof thats why am willing to spend £2500 on just the computer so that in time if I want to upgrade my screen I can do so, the computer is lacking a lot now tho it stutters on the latest games if I do to much, I just fancy a whole new system not sure what am going to do with my old computer its fine to run anything 2016 or below, but anything beyond that it just suffers.

in a ideal world , I wanted a I7 8700k 4.9Ghz , 32GB of ram 3200 or greater , 500 SSD 2.0 or whatever it is , a GTX 1080 TI but not costing a fortune & another 4 TB hardrive just for storage for steam so that I can put some games on the 500gb I have a spare 250 SSD just for windows 10 , trying to find all that within £2500 but not getting ripped off at the same time, thats why I was thinking of getting the gfx card from a different location second hand perhaps

Mine's similar vintage - 2012. I'm not convinced CPUs have moved on significantly enough to justify that kind of spend though, especially when you need to upgrade to ddr4 (4x the price I paid for ddr3 for naff all performance benefit). Here's a chap comparing a 3770k to a 7700k. Maybe Ryzen 2 is there but at 1080p I'm unconvinced I can excuse the silly money (I've no need / want to play / surf at 1440 or greater).

Post up your budget and requirements in General Hardware , I'm sure someone can build you a decent basket for that money.

Associate

Don't expect to get much improvement for games going from a 2600k to 8700k mate unless you are at 144Hz refresh rate.

I just upgraded last week from a 2700k at 3.9GHz with very slow DDR3 RAM to a 8700k at 5.1GHz with 3600MHz DDR4 RAM. It feels no different in games to me at all really but your mileage may vary. (Mainly because I actually play 60Hz and under)

All you really need is a used 1070 and you will see a huge difference at 1080p. If you really want to splash out just get a 1070Ti for £400.

Save the big upgrade for when you actually change your monitor/TV to a higher resolution/refresh rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am 1 of those people that is sitting on the fence my System is super old now , I7 2600k 4.6ghz , 8GB ram DDR3 , 500 SSD , GTX 780.

I want a whole new system budget is £2500 was going to get the Germanium pre built system now , but I don't know if its worth getting a 1080TI for the insane price over a 1070TI the £400 difference is a lot, but would it make sense to just get all the parts off here & buy the Gfx card second hand? I just don't know what to do ... I already been waiting two months but I just don't want to buy then all of a sudden the new 11 series is out.. how much cash would I save..

I've just made the jump, upgraded my mobo, ram and CPU. Left everything else as it. Cost around $800, got a 8700k, new cooler, 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX (3200) and a matx board (case is small). I've kept my GPU which is a 980 ti as I just can't justify $850 for a second hand 1080ti right now. I'm really hoping their prices will plummet as the jump from a 1080ti to the next gen likely won't net me a huge day to day difference, if at all. But my 980 ti is starting to show signs of age with new games.

Associate
Don't expect to get much improvement for games going from a 2600k to 8700k mate unless you are at 144Hz refresh rate.

I just upgraded last week from a 2700k at 3.9GHz with very slow DDR3 RAM to a 8700k at 5.1GHz with 3600MHz DDR4 RAM. It feels no different in games to me at all really but your mileage may vary. (Mainly because I actually play 60Hz and under)

All you really need is a used 1070 and you will see a huge difference at 1080p. If you really want to splash out just get a 1070Ti for £400.

Save the big upgrade for when you actually change your monitor/TV to a higher resolution/refresh rate.

thanks a lot , I been saving for a few weeks & since I haven't spent any money since late 2011, I thought I would treat myself brand new foundation , I doubt I would be able to sell any of my old PC off as scraps but we shall see, I don't know if I should get the germanium pre built system or just collect all the parts myself & build it like that to save a few £s , I found a 1080 TI for £550 , so am really just looking for everything else from OC as the warranty sounds nice etc

Associate
thanks a lot , I been saving for a few weeks & since I haven't spent any money since late 2011, I thought I would treat myself brand new foundation , I doubt I would be able to sell any of my old PC off as scraps but we shall see, I don't know if I should get the germanium pre built system or just collect all the parts myself & build it like that to save a few £s , I found a 1080 TI for £550 , so am really just looking for everything else from OC as the warranty sounds nice etc

If you really wish to upgrade everything, then stick with a 1070 for now if your only gaming on a 1080p 60hz tv, then when you upgrade monitor in future get the latest and greatest GPU you can afford at that point. Absolutely throwing money away getting a 1080ti now when using your current TV which by your own admission is not something you can afford to do.

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFd0aVhVKU I just found this , as am upgrading from a 2600k 4.6Ghz to a 8700k hopefully 5Ghz , how did you get urs to 5Ghz RanXzy , did you just clock it higehr your self I thought only better bin chips could reach 5Ghz
I lucked out and found someone else selling their 5.1GHz stable 8700k at 1.35 vcore, 3600MHz DDR4 Dominator Platinum and Z370 mobo for £530 in the members market.

He just kept the OC settings in the BIOS. I was lucky in a sense because some places have sold 5.1GHz binned chips for over £530 alone, so to get really fast 16GB RAM and mobo included was a bonus..

Since I'm just gaming I have dialed it back to 4.7GHz and stock volts, because as you can predict, I see about 0 percent increase in performance vs 5.1GHz when gaming at 60Hz with a 1070. I would consider OCing it again if I wanted to play at 100-144Hz or if I used the processor for rendering but I don't.

Soldato
I lucked out and found someone else selling their 5.1GHz stable 8700k at 1.35 vcore, 3600MHz DDR4 Dominator Platinum and Z370 mobo for £530 in the members market.

He just kept the OC settings in the BIOS. I was lucky in a sense because some places have sold 5.1GHz binned chips for over £530 alone, so to get really fast 16GB RAM and mobo included was a bonus..

Since I'm just gaming I have dialed it back to 4.7GHz and stock volts, because as you can predict, I see about 0 percent increase in performance vs 5.1GHz when gaming at 60Hz with a 1070. I would consider OCing it again if I wanted to play at 100-144Hz or if I used the processor for rendering but I don't.

nice... that will last you a good few years... unless something changes i doubt you will need anything other than the odd gpu refresh and possibly another 16gb of ram for the next 5 years or more

to be honest had it not been for vr and increased USB demands of the oculus rift, i probably would still have been on my sandybridge i5 2500+ @ 4.6ghz and not having a problem.

Associate
I get the whole saved up for something new and it is your money but other than being shiney you won't feel the difference. You have a solid core. Build on the core with bits you can then swap the mobo and CPU later when ddr5 and maybe pcie 4 is here. If you absolutely have to spend the money get a better gpu and monitor forget the rest.120 - 144hz 1440 monitor with gsync and a 1070ti. It will cost you around £1400 or less depends on the monitor and will feel much more of an upgrade than doing your CPU etc. Bank the £1100 for the next gpu. Oh and do a nice fresh windows install if you are seeing stuttering. Make sure all drivers up to date etc.

Dell TN panel is highly rated it seems or Acer/Asus IPS if you prefer. I went 4k and the gpu even a 1080ti doesn't cope that well. It will take another 2 generations to run a high refresh rate 4k screen I reckon.

Associate
@Aurhinius +1 Especially worth considering re-installing Windows/fresh drivers if experiencing stuttering on an i7 2600k while gaming at 1080p60 or 1440p. The difference from a 780 to 1070Ti will be huge at 1080p60.

Back
Top Bottom