Iem recommendations (200 max)

Caporegime
Looking for another set of iems as mine broke.

Looking for rich treble and fast response.
Best iems I owned were triple fi 10.

Looked at Imore quad driver but although it gets great reviews the sound seems to be opposite of what I want.

Will be driven straight from laptop / phone most of the time

Soldato
Soldato
Used IE 800s. They spank pretty much anything if you can get over the non-replaceable cable and slightly iffy fit.

I have some Fischer Amps FA-04 which in isolation are excellent. The IE 800s I had were far better though - they don't really do anything even slightly badly from a SQ point. Bass is incredible, treble is 'sparkly' without being too much.

Beware the mountains of counterfeits being sold as genuine, though.

Caporegime
OP
Used IE 800s. They spank pretty much anything if you can get over the non-replaceable cable and slightly iffy fit.

I have some Fischer Amps FA-04 which in isolation are excellent. The IE 800s I had were far better though - they don't really do anything even slightly badly from a SQ point. Bass is incredible, treble is 'sparkly' without being too much.

Beware the mountains of counterfeits being sold as genuine, though.

I think these are a little over my piece range! :o

Caporegime
OP
Can't decide on anything in particular so think I'm going to try a pair of dunu 2000j. Out of the reviews I've found seem OK.
Is so hard to gauge a sound producing device in words

Associate
If you are up to a hunt... I'll also recommend 2nd hand ie800. If you can get proof, like a receipt and holographic validation code. The more proof the better. I would not trust anything on ebay. Try the forums classifieds.
I guess resale value on these things is low because of the minefield of counterfeits.
If you can get a genuine pair, in my experience there is nothing to my ear at that 2nd hand price new or used that touch them.

Caporegime
OP
If you are up to a hunt... I'll also recommend 2nd hand ie800. If you can get proof, like a receipt and holographic validation code. The more proof the better. I would not trust anything on ebay. Try the forums classifieds.
I guess resale value on these things is low because of the minefield of counterfeits.
If you can get a genuine pair, in my experience there is nothing to my ear at that 2nd hand price new or used that touch them.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Avoid ebay. Only would go classifieds. And yeah I'd like some of those to at least try

Caporegime
OP
Dunu 2000j arrived today.
I love them only for a very narrow genre of music.
Anything with vocals sounds a bit flat. But music sounds amazing.

But overall I think I prefer the old a83 I had. Those were not ideal either. But I think, better than these

Vocals. Sound waaaay to Close.
I think I need something else

Soldato
Jinxed me and my TF10s.

I just pulled out the left side cable connection and the wires also came out and ripped away from the solder.

:(

EDIT: Always said I would get the reshelled if this ever happened. Just found out that there are pretty much no places in the UK that offer the service any more. Even more :( Going to have to get a soldering iron...

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Tempted to just get myself an old pair of tf10 off the bay.

Trying to get recommendations is like a lottery.
And there is nowhere just to try a selection of iems.

I'm lucky I love my full size cans.

I'm tempted. To cycle through used ebay iems and resell those I don't like.

I knew immediately I didn't like 2000j which on paper sounded good. That's my killer blow. I thought.. These seem ideal from reviews!

Either I don't like what I think I like (converting what I hear to review feedback) or I don' kknow what I like.

All I know is I love my denon d2000
Loved my tf10
Didn't like sure se530 (or whatever they were)
A83 were ok
Hated the dunu 2000j

But can't verbalise why.

Soldato
it normally takes an hour or more for our brains to adjust to a new sound signature, so "knowing immediately" that you didn't like the 2000j is not the best approach - I absolutely hated the HD650 for the first hour and they ended up being one of my favourite cans.

Caporegime
OP
it normally takes an hour or more for our brains to adjust to a new sound signature, so "knowing immediately" that you didn't like the 2000j is not the best approach - I absolutely hated the HD650 for the first hour and they ended up being one of my favourite cans.

Don't think this is the case with these ones.
The vocals sound like. Someone is literally singing into your ear.
Usually I have to go through a fair amount of time with a new headphone to determine if I like it. But this was instant no.

Back
Top Bottom