GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Caporegime
Guys,

For the abdominal workouts I can rarely do squats (and likewise for back, can rarely do deadlifts) because of hogging/far too long a wait at my local gym for the bar/bar area.

I'm looking at moving gym.

In the meantime what's the next best thing?

Get there earlier, change your workout times, throw them out the way, wait longer.

Excuses.

Man of Honour
Guys,

For the abdominal workouts I can rarely do squats (and likewise for back, can rarely do deadlifts) because of hogging/far too long a wait at my local gym for the bar/bar area.

I'm looking at moving gym.

In the meantime what's the next best thing?

Deficit Bulgarian split squats if you think you're hard.

Pretty much. I changed my times to come in at 7am in the morning (work gym) to use the blocks and racks. It sucks, but it gets me where I want to be. :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Have you asked to work in with whoever is using the rack? I've never had a problem doing this.

In the meantime, you can do goblet squats and as mrthingyx said DBSS. These aren't really replacements for squat, nothing really is.

Soldato
Have you asked to work in with whoever is using the rack? I've never had a problem doing this.
No - it is simply an oversubscribed, small community trust gym. Consistently there will be two or three workout groups of two or three people. If it were singles it wouldn't be a problem.

In the meantime, you can do goblet squats and as mrthingyx said DBSS. These aren't really replacements for squat, nothing really is.
Thanks for the tips! Like I said, I'm moving gym and it will be to tide me over. I'll check those out.

Last edited:
Soldato
So after years of procrastinating and putting it off, I've joined a local Gym (10 mins walk from my new house) and on Friday started the 5x5 Stronglifts program. I've always hated physical exercise if I'm honest, but having just done my third session I have to say I'm really enjoying myself. I've just passed my 47th birthday and I'm determined to be fit, healthy and strong for my 50th. I wish someone had knocked it into my thick skull years ago that training with free weights is a hell of a lot more satisfying and enjoyable than those damned machines! :D

Soldato
How much can you guys barbell curl?

I think you're over focusing on curls, tbh.

The biceps are a small muscle relative to your while body, and focusing on the bigger compound movements first is advised. I have never bothered with curls except at the end of a "pull" workout to get the feeling of finishing off my arms.

You don't say if you've also got a bench, or how much weight you have, but if I just had a barbell to work with, I'd concentrate on:

Deadlifts
Hack squats
Bench press (perhaps floor press until you get a bench)
Barbell rows
Military press

Also bodyweight exercises like pull ups and dips are very good.

That will do you far better than curls.

Soldato
Hi all. For a twice a week-er, what would you guys recommend I do at the gym?

Background: Played footy for years, will still be playing once or twice a week so no cardio required. I'm in my late 30s, roughly 6ft tall and about 75kg, 20% bodyfat. Started going gym 2 weeks ago, want to stick at it. Will only realistically be able to go twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays.

Aims: Increase overall strength and fitness. I went to a mini ninja warrior course last week and it highlighted how unfit I was, couldn't even swing on the monkey bars, I can't hold my body weight with my left arm :/ right arm just about managed. Will be going back every few weeks and I'm hoping to notice inprovements.

The lads I go with go more often than me so do chest and triceps one day etc but they can get everything in, I can't. How would you split your 2 days?

I plan to do a bit of leg workouts on both days tbh, not really going for cardio. Would like to hit about 15% bodyfat and 80-85kg?

I always finish with 2 or 3 laps swimming and sauna/steamroom. Any particular order I should do those in? Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Hi all. For a twice a week-er, what would you guys recommend I do at the gym?

Background: Played footy for years, will still be playing once or twice a week so no cardio required. I'm in my late 30s, roughly 6ft tall and about 75kg, 20% bodyfat. Started going gym 2 weeks ago, want to stick at it. Will only realistically be able to go twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays.

Aims: Increase overall strength and fitness. I went to a mini ninja warrior course last week and it highlighted how unfit I was, couldn't even swing on the monkey bars, I can't hold my body weight with my left arm :/ right arm just about managed. Will be going back every few weeks and I'm hoping to notice inprovements.

The lads I go with go more often than me so do chest and triceps one day etc but they can get everything in, I can't. How would you split your 2 days?

I plan to do a bit of leg workouts on both days tbh, not really going for cardio. Would like to hit about 15% bodyfat and 80-85kg?

I always finish with 2 or 3 laps swimming and sauna/steamroom. Any particular order I should do those in? Thanks in advance.
Salaams dude,

Your options are full body or upper/lower split. I would opt for U/L for variety and recovery. Accessories ultimately depend on how much time you have, so feel free to add additional movements. For compounds, I would progress in a linear fashion 3x5 will work well. Accesories 3/4 x 12.

Upper:
Compounds: Bench, dips and Pullups
Accessories: 2 Pull (1 arms), 1 push

Lower:
Compounds: Squat and Deads
Choose 2 Legs Accessories

What's really going to make physical changes is your diet. Start cleaning up your diet and stay consistent.

Soldato
No - it is simply an oversubscribed, small community trust gym. Consistently there will be two or three workout groups of two or three people. If it were singles it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tips! Like I said, I'm moving gym and it will be to tide me over. I'll check those out.

Also try suitcase deadlifts

Associate
I thought I should reply to this post, I remember reading this 14 years ago when Gordyr first posted this and being intrigued, I always wanted to start building muscle but work and family have gotten in the way.

this post has been the most informative and down to earth that ive read though so I just wanted to say thanks!

I started stronglifts around 3 months ago and I'm now switching to this routine and will see how I get on with it.

Gordy if you are still around - thanks man, you captured my interest all them years ago and now I am following it, I wish I started when I first read though and I would be a beast by now :)

Associate
I thought I should reply to this post, I remember reading this 14 years ago when Gordyr first posted this and being intrigued, I always wanted to start building muscle but work and family have gotten in the way.

this post has been the most informative and down to earth that ive read though so I just wanted to say thanks!

I started stronglifts around 3 months ago and I'm now switching to this routine and will see how I get on with it.

Gordy if you are still around - thanks man, you captured my interest all them years ago and now I am following it, I wish I started when I first read though and I would be a beast by now :)
how is it going? i am about to embark on a mission to keep myself fit... saw the first page and would try his if you got good results?

Back
Top Bottom