Need a new desk, any ideas?

Associate
Looking for something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAJ0SHv1T8 (if it will fit through my flat door lol)

Currently got this (see below) but the with X34A its just too small to do anything, well when I say small I mean not enough width (only 50cm) I cannot place the monitor any further back and I'd also like the overall desk to look more grown up and neater :p

This is my current desk.

Thanks for any input guys :)

Associate
I would check for office surplus sales (or the local gumtree for the same). Large IT office desks typically sell for £100 or so. New they are usually around £400 to £800. These will be professional grade desks, large, sturdy with cable trunking solutions etc.

I got mine this way, it's 205cm x 185cm with a curved front giving a sort of curved L shape. It has enough width for two 34" ultra wides + desktop speakers and still room for a load of junk and a laptop!

Associate
It sounds daft but have you checked Amazon to see if there's a desk you like? I bought a desk from Amazon after looking everywhere else but couldn't see anything I fancy and it worked out great.

Soldato
Check your local gumtree and freecycle, as someone already mentioned, you can pick up some nice ex-office desks at great prices, sometimes free, we have a massive one in our dining room that would have cost hundreds which we managed to snag for free when a big IT company a friend worked at replaced all their desks. You could certainly build the desk from that video(total cost would be £140 - £190(depending on choice of top) if you can go to a store directly, more if you had to have parts delivered), UK Ikea stocks all those parts and you could even use a cheaper thinner top(less weight, less cost), but as they are worktops and 63.5cm wide(depth), the build probably wouldn't represent much of an upgrade over the depth of your current setup by the looks of things(try sitting 13cm further back to see if that represents enough extra depth?).

I see desks all the time on gumtree and freecycle, they come and go constantly, so that's where i'd be looking if i was aiming to save my pennies.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
The link you posted is what I have at home, well the same draws although I have 3 sets of those 2 on one side of desk and 1 on the other then the same top with a bar that comes down supporting the middle of desk, although I think I ended up going for a 2 meter long table top now come to think of it. Easily fits a triple 27" monitor setup and my full tower and plenty of random junk :) Can grab a couple of pictures once home if it helps.

Associate
OP
The link you posted is what I have at home, well the same draws although I have 3 sets of those 2 on one side of desk and 1 on the other then the same top with a bar that comes down supporting the middle of desk, although I think I ended up going for a 2 meter long table top now come to think of it. Easily fits a triple 27" monitor setup and my full tower and plenty of random junk :) Can grab a couple of pictures once home if it helps.

That would be amazing mate thank you,

Think its a trip to Ikea tomorrow and hopefully it will fit in the 5DR Leon FR

Associate
Yep that is the 200cm one, Ikea seemed to be one of the very few places that offered a 200cm desktop at the time and for a decent price.

The draws are great as well as can fit a lot in them, I found the only thing that sometimes was an issue was when it came to the desktop sitting on the chest of draws. They supply these little domed rubber pads that stop the desktop from sliding around to much but still it happens from time to time and have to keep sliding the desktop back into place other than that its be great :)

Associate
OP
Yep that is the 200cm one, Ikea seemed to be one of the very few places that offered a 200cm desktop at the time and for a decent price.

The draws are great as well as can fit a lot in them, I found the only thing that sometimes was an issue was when it came to the desktop sitting on the chest of draws. They supply these little domed rubber pads that stop the desktop from sliding around to much but still it happens from time to time and have to keep sliding the desktop back into place other than that its be great :)

I will drill with a L plate i think, do you think the draws are too big for the 150cm table top?

Associate
I would say if you going for the 150cm desk if does really matter as you don't need to have all 3 sets of draws actually under the desk, right now I have 1 set of draws supporting each side of the desk and the other set just to the side of everything that way loads more leg room and still space on top of the draws.

So 2 sets of draws on the 150cm desk will be fine :)

Soldato
Drawers are 36cm wide each, that's 72cm off your 150cm top, leaving you 78cm of space in the middle. Must say the kitchen tops are tempting(shame the depth isn't a bit larger), considering one myself, i'm on a piddly desk up in the bedroom right now, would love to have a walnut(sandstone and walnut themed room) countertop though, battens on the wall(setup in a corner of the room and have solid walls) and a few legs for plenty of movement space.

Associate
OP
Drawers are 36cm wide each, that's 72cm off your 150cm top, leaving you 78cm of space in the middle. Must say the kitchen tops are tempting(shame the depth isn't a bit larger), considering one myself, i'm on a piddly desk up in the bedroom right now, would love to have a walnut(sandstone and walnut themed room) countertop though, battens on the wall(setup in a corner of the room and have solid walls) and a few legs for plenty of movement space.

you seem good at maths, can you figure out how much space id have left on either side for my pc if I got the 200cm one and my monitor which will be in the centre is 82cm

Looking like I'm going for the 200cm one now as I think being 10cm further away from my screen will be better than being 25cm further away

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Going tonight to get the 200cm one and the alex draws,

Also thinking weather to get the mouse matt but I'll have to figure that out after I've put it all together tonight,

MBQakKS.jpg

8z53exx.jpg

Old picture as have a different tower Etc, will grab some better ones once home.

Did you drill L plates into the top and draws to keep it more stable from sliding?

Soldato
Angle brackets would probably be a sensible idea(it might not necessarily just be sideways movement you need to worry about but also that it can lift up and will be housing your screens/pc, consider what will happen if you knock the top with your knees or if you get up too soon when managing wires under the desk), a small pack of angle brackets at screwfix are only a few squid.

Associate
Hey, and nope the only thing I am using at the moment is that pole/bar you can see underneath the middle of the desk to give it abit more support, I found in some ways it was handy not having the desk fully supported as that way I can slide it back and forward when I need to put plugs and other cables down the back of the desk, if it was fixed would have been more hassle to do but that's just me as I'm lazy :p

Back
Top Bottom