boinctui - help!

Associate
Hi All,
Been a long time since I was involved in posters, just got the urge for some interest again. I'm setting up a stack of RaspberryPi's to run bionc and Seti. I've managed to get two crunching so far, with another acting as a NAT router to connect them to the net via wifi and the LAN router. They're running Jessie Sketch Lite so I want a centralised way to view what they are up to using the NAT pi. I know this is all getting quite old now so it makes things more tricky, add to the fact I'm completely new to Linux. I've found something called boinctui which looks like it might fit the bill, but I just can't suss out how to get the bloody thing to work.

I started by copying and unpacking the .tar file on the pi, but couldn't work out what to do next. Then i tried down the apt-get route but links are out of date and i'm getting all the syntax wrong. Has anyone used this before successfully that they could help!?

Many Thanks!!

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I have no idea about Linux. What you are trying to do at least sounds like an interesting challenge but I do wonder if the Pi will have sufficient grunt to achieve much of a result.

It would be worth looking at the basic BOINC wiki pages. Amongst all the add on programmes for BOINC they don't even list the one you are trying. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/addons.php

But I think you must also make sure remote access is enabled for each BOINC client. Something to do with a GUI RPC. But if I'm correct that would enable you to use the Boinc Manager on one machine to switch monitoring of many others. https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controlling_BOINC_remotely

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. Well I'm not going to lie, I saw it on youtube while i was searching about and thought "ooo". But the youtube vid is out of date so getting it up and running took many hours of sussing.

The new pi's have 1.4ghz and 4 cores and each wu takes a day to complete give or take a couple hours. They are tiny, but they consume 4 watts of juice, so a stack of 8 with a switch and usb fans will be about 35 watts, which i will test to see. With 7 running seti, that's 28 wu's a day, with a pretty low credit of roughly 250 per pi. But ultimately i'm doing it for the fun of mucking about with networking and separate machines, which you can't do for £30 a pop with a desktop!

If you scroll down a bit on that page to the Linux section it's the third item down, but like i say, linux packages is all new to me so i thought if anyone had done it previously it may help me to set it up. But i may end up down the gui route for the head pi if i find something nicer to see what they're all doing. And by scanning through that link it looks like that may well be the easiest method! So thanks for that!

I've got three running now, plus the head pi, just waiting on the nylon screw/spacer thingys to stack them up on top of each other and i'll put some pics up. At the moment they're just resting about with cables everywhere, but they're working that's the main thing!

Back
Top Bottom