Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
I'm happy to help you out if I can, and I've actually been debating starting a mini blog type site with all my BSD/Linux/networking tech bits - for my own future reference if nothing else. I already have a domain and plenty of options. As for your N66U though, you're going to struggle. They don't have x86 CPUs inside and perform all their routing (packet forwarding etc) in hardware. If you ask them to do any computational tasks they'll suffer. In plain English, they're rubbish for VPN and you'll struggle to get 30 - 50Mbps overall. It doesn't help that openvpn is a single threaded protocol either. Someone needs to set up a proper by nerds for nerds VPN service that's not reliant on openvpn. There are much faster, secure alternatives. I digress.
Openswan? :)

Soldato
Openswan? :)

Yeah openswan (especially IKEv2) provide some nice improvements over openvpn, especially being in kernel space. I was actually thinking of WireGuard though. It's massively smaller (100 times fewer lines of code), secure, and way faster. It too lives in kernel space, but it can use SSSE3, AVX/AVX2/AVX512 and NEON for hardware acceleration and is extremely fast. Breaking 40Gbps is easy, and 100Gbps isn't unreasonable. It's also free and open, and easy to use. Why it's not more popular yet I don't know. Linux based VPS services abound in the VPN space, because they're easy to set up (even just following guides from Google) and cheap. What's really needed are bare metal BSD-based multi-CPU servers with redundant >10Gbps uplinks running WireGuard with no logging, with the option to run SSH, SOCKS5 and HTTP proxies. I'm feeling a project coming on...

HuSPHv7.png

Associate
Now using .603 on SH3 in modem mode and getting much better latency graphs, but internet does not feel any faster. Pages still sometimes take a while to load.

486cb40025081303ad79841d721f266e48c9e995-16-05-2018.png

Soldato
anyone moved house with virgin?

We should be moving out of our house in the next month or two and into a stop gap home for about 5 months then into our new permanent home once it is finished being built in december.

i've just looked on the virgin site quickly and it says you have to sign a new contract.

Is this a new new contract or just the same contract with a new address?

am, i going to have to pay extra because i'm moving twice in about 6 months?

Soldato
anyone moved house with virgin?

We should be moving out of our house in the next month or two and into a stop gap home for about 5 months then into our new permanent home once it is finished being built in december.

i've just looked on the virgin site quickly and it says you have to sign a new contract.

Is this a new new contract or just the same contract with a new address?

am, i going to have to pay extra because i'm moving twice in about 6 months?

Moving is free, you can take new customer offers and retentions deals, but it's a new contract period as the site says.

Soldato
Does anyone know if I reset the HUB3 will it remove any new firmware it has?

Im on .603 and I seem to have a new firmware getting pushed to the hub, but keeps failing so was going to try a reset to see if it can download successfully, but don't want to remove .603.

Thanks

Soldato
I just arrived home 10 minutes ago just as a VM van happened to pull up and park outside my house, about to visit a property two doors away. I took the cheeky liberty of going and asking if I could borrow him for a minute to check my outside VM box to make sure the wires are all good since it had some cobwebs under the cover and I wanted to make sure it's all still solid. He was very friendly and obliging on this lovely sunny day and he shortened a black cable to tidy it up. Nice timing eh :)

Soldato
is there any way of updating the firmware on the SH3???

I've had horrendous issues with lag spikes/request time outs etc - not able to ping google/bbc.co.uk etc for the last week at times. Spoke to Virgin today and their only solution was an engineer visit - I know that's going to do nothing as the chap I spoke to had no clue what I was telling him. Internet is working ok but can't play any games at all online as they are constantly lagging out etc.

There is talk of upgrading the firmware etc

The packet drop is horrendous as well. Up to about a week ago I've had no issues at all.

Soldato
is there any way of updating the firmware on the SH3???

I've had horrendous issues with lag spikes/request time outs etc - not able to ping google/bbc.co.uk etc for the last week at times. Spoke to Virgin today and their only solution was an engineer visit - I know that's going to do nothing as the chap I spoke to had no clue what I was telling him. Internet is working ok but can't play any games at all online as they are constantly lagging out etc.

There is talk of upgrading the firmware etc

The packet drop is horrendous as well. Up to about a week ago I've had no issues at all.

Firmware is pushed to your device usually in a region by region schedule, you can trigger an update check by doing a reboot on the hub.

Soldato
Firmware is pushed to your device usually in a region by region schedule, you can trigger an update check by doing a reboot on the hub.

ok thanks - been god awful the last week. hanging webpages, unable to play online games for lag etc - rebooted router a few times, reset my network etc etc.

Connection is there all the time but the packet loss etc is terrible.

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 4 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 12 ms 17 ms 25 ms renf-core-2a-xe-123-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.129.77]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 30 ms 26 ms 28 ms tcl5-ic-4-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.192.246]
6 27 ms 28 ms 28 ms m358-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [213.104.85.102]
7 34 ms 30 ms 33 ms 108.170.246.129
8 29 ms 28 ms 26 ms 72.14.234.153
9 29 ms 29 ms 38 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

I'm no expert in network stuff but surely I shouldn't be getting "Request timed out" to google dns etc??

Soldato
ok thanks - been god awful the last week. hanging webpages, unable to play online games for lag etc - rebooted router a few times, reset my network etc etc.

Connection is there all the time but the packet loss etc is terrible.

I'm no expert in network stuff but surely I shouldn't be getting "Request timed out" to google dns etc??

You've probably got more than just SH3 issues and likely need the engineer visit to see if there's something going on between you and the cab.

Soldato
You've probably got more than just SH3 issues and likely need the engineer visit to see if there's something going on between you and the cab.

yeah - Wednesday engineer booked for......16 years with Sky/BT and zero issues/downtime etc - 9 months with Virgin and one 48 hour outage, another 3 hours last night and this nonsense......

Associate
@mattyg Just had Virgin installed on Thursday. I've got two V6 boxes and yes they are wired in, one in living room and one in bedroom. Engineer was happy to put cables where I wanted and leave a little slack to allow me to tidy up and hide the cables in trunking later.

Associate
Since upgrading from 200 to 350 I havent really seen anything above 260ish.. So I spent some time playing around today and can confirm for me, once changing the SH3 from modem mode into Router mode the download speed improved from 260 to 350+..

So, is the problem the SH3 and its modem mode? Or do I need to have a look at the router on the inside of the SH3?

I've got a Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT v3.0-r35550M kongac (03/28/18).

Are others on 350Mbps package getting full speed using modem mode?

Back
Top Bottom