Cloud Storage Recommendation

Soldato
I’m after some cloud storage for backup redundancy; minimum 500gb, with desktop software that lets me specify multiple folders for syncing, preferably accross multiple drives.

So for instance my system and documents backups are stored on my Media drive, so I want to sync that folder to be backed up to the cloud. My Archive drive also has older backups on it, which I would also like to sync too.

Decent non-bloaty software would be nice, running win 10. Cheaper the better but I don’t mind paying for a good service.

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn’t sure where to put this!

Soldato
Recently went with Google drive having looked at everything, was very much a case of what suited me personally (got a lot of stuff on google apps shared etc).

They are changing their plans from what I gather, I'm really happy with how the client works, you can throttle it's up/download rates and select any folders on your PC. Also you have the option of syncing photos which won't in many circumstances count against your total if you are happy to allow it to adjust the quality. I'm fine with this as it doesn't appear to alter RAW files so just the other ones.

Soldato
OP
Backblaze

Yeah I hear good things, I already have encrypted backups with redundancy, I was looking to sync my backup folders as they are so I don’t have to create yet more backups.

Would you just create additional backups with a cloud provider instead?

What’s your thoughts on Backblaze?

Soldato
Thanks for suggestions chaps, unfortunately neither of this solutions allows you retain your current file structure, as far as I’m aware.

The only one I’ve found is SugarSync : https://www2.sugarsync.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdiarciR2wIVS77tCh1rbwwTEAAYASAAEgLXffD_BwE

Which is apparently excellent, but very pricey.

Folders are simply added to google drive, regardless of which drive they came from so it'd up to you whether you save it back down to the same drive should you need to do a full restore etc.

Personally I used Crashplan for years and would prefer to have stuck with it but it's pricing is moving to business only and it's a pure backup solution, doesn't enable any form of collaboration which is increasingly what I need to do.

Backblaze I considered but the collaboration requirement kept me for option for it tbh, otherwise I'd have been all over it. It's not as simply to do as Google drive etc. although as a backup solution it's likely better over all.

Caporegime
Thanks for this thread - it prompted me to look at Microsoft's OneCloud which I already use but didn't realise the data isn't encrypted. :eek: So I just went and 7zipped everything.

Back
Top Bottom