Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
@Scope only had Virgin since Thursday so things could change but I've currently got the Hub 3 in router model and only syncing at approx;

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)

Speedtest via ethernet reports 280 down 20 up. I'm meant to be on the VIP bundle which includes 350Mbps Internet. Going to setup a sff pc with Pfsense and try the hub in modem mode.

Associate
@Scope only had Virgin since Thursday so things could change but I've currently got the Hub 3 in router model and only syncing at approx;

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)

Speedtest via ethernet reports 280 down 20 up. I'm meant to be on the VIP bundle which includes 350Mbps Internet. Going to setup a sff pc with Pfsense and try the hub in modem mode.
Those aren’t sync rates, there just the channel that the Hub locks on to during initial ranging, at start up, before locking on to the rest of the channels. The config will be in “Router status”.

Soldato
So again after a shocking few days of packet loss/lag/unable to play online without losing connections etc - yesterday was great......hardly any packet loss etc.

Then today again....loads.....

so frustrating - nothing has changed at all

Soldato
Never again...

I made the mistake of telling Virgin that I had moved.

Id actually moved a year previously, just plugged the kit in and away I went happily. I was a bit concerned as the previous owner of the house had opened the box and left the cover off so the wires were open to the elements. Ok, no problem I thought. Rather than navigate seven levels of hell with telephone support, I'll raise a call through the community forums. Now I realise what a mistake this was.

Here is the e-mail I ultimately sent to Virgin:

large.jpeg

Heather,
To say I am apoplectic with rage is an understatement. The engineer turned up without the box cover, but rather than turn around and say he would be back when he had one, he butchered the wiring as shown above so that out of the three rooms that were cabled, only one is now as he has just cut the rest out. This creates an issue as I was about to move all the computer equipment downstairs. Obviously I can't now.

He then replaced the Hub without giving me the opportunity to wipe the config (wifi passwords/Wireless AP name). I've no way of removing my details from the hub that I wanted to keep. The reason I wanted to keep the hub was due to the SH3 being appalling with regards to terrible latency and the fact that it is stuck with the default LAN settings which now precludes me from working from home as this clashes with work VPN settings.

To reiterate my sad story so far:

I called to update details and arrange an engineer to fix the broken box outside. For over a year I've had NO problems.

I was then lied to, firstly I was told that the SH2AC wouldn't work with the service - But it has been for over a year in this property and I forget how long at the last property.

I was lied to again being told that I had no other choice but to set up a new account at the new property.

I was lied to again when my service was disconnected and no expected date of reactivation was forthcoming until I rang to complain. Having rung the activation team, they re-enabled my old and perfectly working hub within minutes, thus proving the lies above.

To date, having been on the new account, I find the connection drops all the time. Looking at the config of the hub, I am told that during this time network access is denied. so it connects, but there is an issue at the back end with my new account (that I didn't ask for)

The equipment I have been using has now been taken without being given opportunity to wipe personal data. I would expect you to report this to the ICO as I am sure other customers are in the same position,

The reason I didn't want a hub 3 is because of its poor reputation and seeming unwillingness to fix the issue by Liberty Global, along with the terrible latency issues and inability to change such basic settings as the internal LAN.

As such, I would like you to raise a formal complaint where hopefully I won't get dismissed by letter from someone who didn't bother to read the issues or sign their name on that waste of paper that was sent previously.

I would also like the return of the HUB2AC taken from my house today.

I would like the connection and account issues PROPERLY investigated.

Below is an example of the spikes owing to the poor performance of the hub 3. This is while connected to a gigabit ethernet connection to the back of the hub directly. It is absolutely inexcusable.

Regards

Mejinks

Soldato
Never again...

I made the mistake of telling Virgin that I had moved.

Id actually moved a year previously, just plugged the kit in and away I went happily. I was a bit concerned as the previous owner of the house had opened the box and left the cover off so the wires were open to the elements. Ok, no problem I thought. Rather than navigate seven levels of hell with telephone support, I'll raise a call through the community forums. Now I realise what a mistake this was.

Here is the e-mail I ultimately sent to Virgin:

Heather,
To say I am apoplectic with rage is an understatement. The engineer turned up without the box cover, but rather than turn around and say he would be back when he had one, he butchered the wiring as shown above so that out of the three rooms that were cabled, only one is now as he has just cut the rest out. This creates an issue as I was about to move all the computer equipment downstairs. Obviously I can't now.

He then replaced the Hub without giving me the opportunity to wipe the config (wifi passwords/Wireless AP name). I've no way of removing my details from the hub that I wanted to keep. The reason I wanted to keep the hub was due to the SH3 being appalling with regards to terrible latency and the fact that it is stuck with the default LAN settings which now precludes me from working from home as this clashes with work VPN settings.

To reiterate my sad story so far:

I called to update details and arrange an engineer to fix the broken box outside. For over a year I've had NO problems.

I was then lied to, firstly I was told that the SH2AC wouldn't work with the service - But it has been for over a year in this property and I forget how long at the last property.

I was lied to again being told that I had no other choice but to set up a new account at the new property.

I was lied to again when my service was disconnected and no expected date of reactivation was forthcoming until I rang to complain. Having rung the activation team, they re-enabled my old and perfectly working hub within minutes, thus proving the lies above.

To date, having been on the new account, I find the connection drops all the time. Looking at the config of the hub, I am told that during this time network access is denied. so it connects, but there is an issue at the back end with my new account (that I didn't ask for)

The equipment I have been using has now been taken without being given opportunity to wipe personal data. I would expect you to report this to the ICO as I am sure other customers are in the same position,

The reason I didn't want a hub 3 is because of its poor reputation and seeming unwillingness to fix the issue by Liberty Global, along with the terrible latency issues and inability to change such basic settings as the internal LAN.

As such, I would like you to raise a formal complaint where hopefully I won't get dismissed by letter from someone who didn't bother to read the issues or sign their name on that waste of paper that was sent previously.

I would also like the return of the HUB2AC taken from my house today.

I would like the connection and account issues PROPERLY investigated.

Below is an example of the spikes owing to the poor performance of the hub 3. This is while connected to a gigabit ethernet connection to the back of the hub directly. It is absolutely inexcusable.

Regards

Mejinks

The Hub3 is ok going by most feedback, providing of course your on the latest firmwares .603, Ive not had any issues with hub3 but then I'm on .603 and use the hub in modem mode, I have had my hub3 roughly 8 weeks on .603 and its been fine for streaming and online gaming.
Seems like a bit of a nightmare for yourself, hope you get things sorted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another horrendous day of packet loss etc - lag/hang on webpages etc - getting worse each day.

Will await and see the "engineer" on Wednesday - not overally hopeful that anything will change.

Soldato
Someone (on the virgin forums) mentioned factory resetting the router and it might pull down the new version. I tried it and around 3/4 days later I got a new version. It could be down to areas though and I am in a very recently cabled town, area 26.

Soldato
Got new sh3 last week, albeit i only use it on modem mode, was on firmware 603 then. Left it for a week and today saw its got 608 firmware. Didn't have to manually reboot it.

Can't say I've noticed any difference I don't game

Soldato
Got new sh3 last week, albeit i only use it on modem mode, was on firmware 603 then. Left it for a week and today saw its got 608 firmware. Didn't have to manually reboot it.

Can't say I've noticed any difference I don't game

a bit ridiculous that some people have 603 and then 608 version yet others are left without getting either!!

Back
Top Bottom