God of War 4

Associate
7/10 at best for me. glad it's finished got no desire to do the collectibles.
biggest flaw was the map/realms and the and the way it was supposed to work. I just found it got in the way, was unnecessary and could have been done much better, the flow of the game really suffered.

Soldato
Anyone else can't do Muspelheim on the 2nd go around?
You know, after you finish it once, the swords come back with even bigger challenges.
Really struggling with the 1st challenge. Hahah
I wonder what evil stuff is in store after that !!

EDIT = Just noticed you don't have to do them in order the 2nd time around :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I skipped the first one. Pain in the back side it was.

Did the rings, the one with the time for killing things and the one with the regenerating health.

The challenge at the summit was easier than any of them.

Associate
Think I might be going overly slow with my play through as I'm running around looking in every corner of the area for hidden stuff.
I've just made it to the witch's house, found the fights that lead there really useful for working out which button system works best for me (ended up settling on Classic mode).

Soldato
Think I might be going overly slow with my play through as I'm running around looking in every corner of the area for hidden stuff.
I've just made it to the witch's house, found the fights that lead there really useful for working out which button system works best for me (ended up settling on Classic mode).

I tried classic mode, but found you can't aim your axe as your holding triangle already with your right thumb so it renders the lock on skills for up to 8 targets or whatever pretty useless.
Maybe i'm being special, but that's why I ended up going with the default control scheme in the end.

Associate

It might be just me but try not to spend too much time exploring, keep at the main missions. You can go back at the end and finish the bits up. I spent way too much time collecting the collectables and just ran out of steam with the game, didn't really enjoy it at the end :/

Soldato
In a fit of Muspelheim rage, I deleted it from my PS4.

I was going for Platinum and indeed only had 3 trophies left to get, but to be honest, I've been burnt out on it for about a week.
So, I've just been playing without conviction, which shows in my frustration and lack of fighting focus and ability.

Can't complain. Probably got 100+ hours out of it and loved it to death, but it sounds weird to say, I think the game might be TOO big. Heheh

Soldato
So uhh I am 4 hours in and so far it is perfectly standard ho hum 3rd person action game, solid 7/10

please tell me it does become this amazing 10/10 GOTY 95 metacritic masterpiece later

Associate
So uhh I am 4 hours in and so far it is perfectly standard ho hum 3rd person action game, solid 7/10

please tell me it does become this amazing 10/10 GOTY 95 metacritic masterpiece later

To each their own. I found GoW to be brilliant, certainly a 9/10. Once you get passed some of the early story elements the games does open up a little and offers some side quests. But by and large it’s go from point A to point B and kill something with pretty much a set path to take.

Soldato
To each their own. I found GoW to be brilliant, certainly a 9/10. Once you get passed some of the early story elements the games does open up a little and offers some side quests. But by and large it’s go from point A to point B and kill something with pretty much a set path to take.

I will stay with it and hope the story picks up. So far it has been competent.

What surprised me a bit though is that I expected graphically this game to blow me away, but apart from Kratos's character modelling and good lightning, it looks pretty standard. I have played games years ago that impressed me more on that front (AC Unity, Order 1886, Witcher 3). The water rendering in GoW is so bizzarely poor, for example.

It doesn't, HZD was a far superior experience imo.

Hmm, I enjoyed Horizon but also found it a bit overhyped :)
Would give that one 8/10. Beautiful graphics (so far, more impressive than GoW's), story was pretty good, but I found the quest design and character writing quite mediocre.

Soldato
For whatever reason, this GoW doesn't give me these "I must play this now" vibes. Maybe because of the fact that I have I couple of great titles in my backlog. I'll grab it when it goes down in price.

Soldato
For whatever reason, this GoW doesn't give me these "I must play this now" vibes. Maybe because of the fact that I have I couple of great titles in my backlog. I'll grab it when it goes down in price.

I never had "must play this now" vibe either. From all videos I saw it looked like a standard 3rd person action game with nice graphics. But then all the reviews made me believe this was a game on the level of the great ones. But so far at least, it ain't, and my initial impressions were correct. But maybe it will still change.

Soldato
Yeah, I mean I'm sure it's a solid game and I'll enjoy it the way you enjoy a typical solid action adventure title but I don't feel the urge to play it even though I really like the series. The graphics look really good but I think I've seen better.
I'd definitely like to get it but not at the current price. I think it's partially because I'm still not entirely sold on the setting and it feels a bit like The Last of God of War (nothing wrong with that but it has lost that GoW raging insanity).

What's funny is that by changing the game, they made it look more standard that it would have looked had they decided to roll with the usual GoW vibe. Also, I'm not sure why this reboot was even needed as 3's slightly enigmatic ending provided a very decent conclusion to Kratos' story.

Soldato
Relax, I'm not slating the game. It does look pretty great and fun and I certainly won't miss it but it's hard to argue it hasn't lost a certain part of its identity.

They've changed the setting because they ran out of gods to kill, that alone made a big difference.TLoU influences are clearly visible, the combat is completely different, they've made it open-worldish, camera work is totally different, there's Atreus and the incessant "boy!", Kratos is different etc. Nothing wrong with that but it's certainly a bit less GoW.
I understand they had to switch stuff up to make it fresh but the game wasn't needed after 3's conclusion, no matter how good it is, and it's obvious why they made that weird transition into Norse mythology.

I've seen some later parts, it's pretty normal for things to ramp up in the last 20% or so. It's still less bonkers than 3 which tears **** up even in the opening section.

Associate
Just finished the main story. Massive game took ages. A real challenge on the hard difficulty! Would never even dream of playing it through in the hardest difficulty as that would be ridiculous!

I really warmed to the game during the second half and would score it 8.5/10. The Gfx in the cutscenes are the best I’ve seen yet on ps4pro. It would have been 10/10 if the first half wasn’t so slow and also it was a bit more open. There was a real lack of being able to jump or climb over the environment when you should have been easily able to.

Brilliant story though and one of my favourite ever endings in a game. Although I found the constant “BOY”
From Kratos really irritating for the first half I grew to love it by the end! Haha. Kinda sums my feelings of the game up really. One of the best games of this generation all things considered and a technical
Masterpiece through a tv that can do hdr justice. It’s a real shame that the majority of people have yet to experience proper hdr as it is simply visually stunning.

Unfortunately I had to download the game as the rainforest weren’t pre-ordering and Asda had sold out on the morning of release so I can’t get £25 back! Never mind though; worth every penny.

Soldato
People who havent played it think that its lost its 'soul'. Those that have played it, get to a certain point and think nope it hasnt.
It has lost its soul a bit.

I've platinumed god of war 1 and 2 and 4 I've gone back to play 3.

Already there's loads of bits in that game where Kratos is just brutal and he speaks to absolutely everyone with such contempt.

They've changed him too much in 4. He's a shadow of his former self and the game loses something for it. It'd be different if his rage boiled over now and again and you saw flashes of the old Kratos but you don't really.

I liked the game a lot but it's lost a bit of what made him interesting.

Back
Top Bottom