Help! PC keeps booting up on its own - Do I have a ghost?

Associate
My games PC has started (Over the last 4 months) booting up all on its own

I shut it down properly, not sleep or hybernate, however the next morning its on again

I have unchecked wake up on lan in the bios and a few other things like UBS power wake up but still it turns back on.

Any suggestions?

Associate
OP
Well I do have a cat, 3 in fact but the rig is in the loft and the hatch to high for them to get in

Some info. I also have another computer in my office on the same network. This morning the Games rig was off so as test I clicked the share on the computer on the office. No access, however 5 mins later I had access and can see the games rig is now on. So as troops suggested I check the Wake on Lan to see it was enabled, again!, so had disabled it and will test

Associate
I don't have much information to add, but I've read through a few threads in the past (on other forums/sites) that suggested it was Windows waking the PC up (Windows update maybe?). I think the person had to force disable a certain service in command prompt every few months to get his PC to stay asleep :(
Good luck!

Associate
Are you actually shutting it down or hitting the power button and hoping Windows does something sensible?

Sometimes the power button tells windows to sleep, hibernate or some half way between the two state. In some of these states the PC is not actually off the CPU is halted, but listening for various interupts that will wake it up.

I don't switch my laptop off at night, I simply switch the TV it is display on off and go to sleep. 9 times out of 10 windows goes to sleep and then eventually hibernates. However 1 time out of ten I wake up the next morning to find the laptop sitting on the boot loaded screen and it's fan running because something has woken it from sleep and it's promptly crashed.

Check the power options and in particular what the power button does. If it's windows 10 make sure it doesn't default to hibernate which it will with fast boot.

Soldato
Had a weird issue like this a little back with one of our PCs and it strangely turned out to be using the USB ports on the side of the monitor. We had a wireless mouse with one of those mini connectors hooked up to the screen and it would constantly keep turning itself back on. As soon as the mouse transmitter was moved into a port directly in the PC the issue went away. Very obscure issue, and we'd gone over all the various checks for wake-on features(all off), but it's been cleared up since moving the little dongle to the PC.

Back
Top Bottom