Road Cycling

Caporegime
They don't make ones long enough for 90mm deep aero rims.

And there we go!

If only road rims were as easy to convert to tubeless.

Tubeless rocks.

I'm running 70/75 with 25c tyres on wide rims

Really recommend the Topeak Micro Rocket pump, tiny and works really well, just push it on the valve and pump up. No chance of taking valve cores out. I was using a Lezyne but it was well dodgy, would often take out the cores so chucked it in the bin last holiday

You know I ripped my mate for his Lezyne pump, because it was awful and ripped his cores out. We had to walk most of the ride because of it. Then I forgot all about it, and bought a Lezyne pump :D

Soldato
What's the lowest pressure people are running 25mm's at? I'm 90/95psi (83kg rider weight), but would like to go a bit lower, especially on the front. Frank Berto pressure graph suggests as low at 80psi for the front. I'd probably be happy with 85.
I'd be interested to know the calculation too.

Does rim width factor too?

Soldato
On 25mm Grand Sport Races, that measure ~27mm on my 17mm internal rim width Racing77DB wheels, I was using ~70/92PSI last year when I was ~75Kg (~90Kg total for being ride-ready)... Using the FastFitnessTips spreadsheet as a guide.

But since then, I've moved to the 28mm version, far less harsh and immeasurable difference to speed. Yesterday I used ~65/85PSI, as I'm currently ~3Kg heavier than my lightest last summer.

Soldato
My edge 520 completely spazzed out on a ride today (but was fine for the first 20miles). It did an auto firmware update this morning, not sure if that had anything to do with it. Glorious sunshine and no clouds so unlikely to be weather related. It was changing data fields rapidly (speed jumping from 5 > 20mph, elevation jumping from 0% > 80% > 30% > 90% etc). Autopause was also spamming on and off. Anybody seen something similar, or have any idea what could be wrong?

Soldato
I'd be interested to know the calculation too.

Does rim width factor too?

Yes, wider rims (internal width) tend to make the tyre wider, so pressure can be slightly lower.

Lower pressures definitely seem to have caught on these days, especially with the advent of gravel bikes and 35mm tyres with very low profile tread patterns. British cycling was probably following the continent's lead in super high pressures, which will work great on their smooth roads.

Soldato
On 25mm Grand Sport Races, that measure ~27mm on my 17mm internal rim width Racing77DB wheels, I was using ~70/92PSI last year when I was ~75Kg (~90Kg total for being ride-ready)... Using the FastFitnessTips spreadsheet as a guide.

But since then, I've moved to the 28mm version, far less harsh and immeasurable difference to speed. Yesterday I used ~65/85PSI, as I'm currently ~3Kg heavier than my lightest last summer.

Ha, you have the exact same tyres and wheels as me (another Cube rider I'm guessing?).

Soldato
Ha, you have the exact same tyres and wheels as me (another Cube rider I'm guessing?).

Guilty as charged. ;)

Had it a year now, seriously thinking about a wheel upgrade to something lighter than the current ~1900g set and most importantly, a set that doesn't flex enough while I'm climbing out of the saddle to cause rotor rub. Been driving myself mad trying to pick the correct option under £400, thinking Alex CXD4 or Hunt x Mason 4 Season.

Soldato
What a lovely day for a ride today. Managed to get out for a 40 miler and am only 10-15 seconds off my PRs on most of the local climbs. Will be absolutely smashing them by mid-Summer I hope!

Soldato
Headed South West for Z2 recovery today with plans to rendevouz with Steedie to watch him take a lay down half way up Streatley :p Hayfever was ravaging him so solo'd it.

Streatley is #24 so I was keen to see how it compared to #23 Whiteleaf which is my local lung buster.

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/streatley-hill/

5:00 dead with a 5 min power PR to boot, 388w.

I still think #23 is tougher, it is about 1/3rd longer and with a fairly sharp pitch round a 90 degree bend (whichever line you take) and more undulation finding a rhythm is trickier.

Soldato
Had a good social ride on saturday with all but 1 of the usual gang out, plus 2 randoms/extras (so 7 of us). One of them a girl who'd only been riding a 'couple of weeks' and being of the larger persuasion she really struggled on the hills. Basically getting off and walking anything over 2-3%. Unfortunately for her she'd chosen one of the hilliest routes we've done for several months! :o

I waved the others on ahead but being the social group we are they waited several times to regroup, I rode alongside Helen trying to give her tips to keep her in the saddle, but found myself riding @30-40rpm & 2-3mph (walking pace). Actually quite good training in core strength & balance (gotta keep yourself amused!).

As we reached Orcop we all put efforts into a segment up to Orcop Hill, really pleased with mine (4th overall) as coming from well behind the group I caught and passed them all, even being able to kick a second time towards the summit to hold off Adam who nearly caught me. Chuffed, although my legs where pretty sore afterwards (being stood at the top probably didn't help). After there Helen had chosen to ride home, so we all rode to Wormelow and sent her on the easiest way back to town. She'd done 17 miles and would clock over 25 before home, her longest ride by far (and I'm pretty sure her hilliest!). Hopefully she'll get out and ride more before coming along next time, she was in good spirits and once I'd taught her how to change 'down' gears for hills (rather than change 'up'! wtf) she built up confidence quickly. Considering I'd done my dues, nailed a hilly segment and now had no reason to hold back the latter part of the ride I put the hammer down. Some approx mile long sustained power efforts. So even with the first half the ride being very slow/easy I still got a decent block of efforts in.

I'm using the mason x hunt 4 season disc wheels on the Mason Definition, really nice for the money with good seals. I've abused these things with some winter and gravel riding with no issues, suit gp4000s ii 25c really well.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...-disc-brake-road-bike-wheelset-tubeless-ready
Hunt have really increased in popularity the last 12 months or so, really good wheels for the money, just hope they keep up the good work! :D

Great ride and looks like great fun!

The trick is to let the core cool down after all the vigorous pumping so it doesn't bind to the pump head. I also keep one of these in all my saddle bags...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-valve-core-remover/
Good shout, well worth carrying one of these. I don't although I've never had a valve come undone, I do carry a small foldable set of pliers which would suffice (a multitool type).

What's the lowest pressure people are running 25mm's at? I'm 90/95psi (83kg rider weight), but would like to go a bit lower, especially on the front. Frank Berto pressure graph suggests as low at 80psi for the front. I'd probably be happy with 85.
What's your rim width and what tyres? I was running GP4000sii's on Shimano RS81 (20mm wide rim) at 80 front & 85 rear. I found any lower than 80 at the front they really lost pressure quickly and I'd be topping it up weekly (annoying)! Am now running 90 rear as towing a kid trailer but will be swapping the tyres for something heavier and more grippy (I've found the front is very skittish with the weight behind, even with aerobars fitted).

Now I carry a small multitool/pliers (circa 60g). Thing is the valve core key doesn't work on the threaded end ;) :o but is handy for tightening them before pumping.
That's been a gripe of mine. I've only had one jammed once in a friends pump and it seemed a stupid design - no way to remove it without pliers and probably knackering the thread!

I'm running 70/75 with 25c tyres on wide rims

Really recommend the Topeak Micro Rocket pump, tiny and works really well, just push it on the valve and pump up. No chance of taking valve cores out. I was using a Lezyne but it was well dodgy, would often take out the cores so chucked it in the bin last holiday
Really like my Lezyne pressure drive and have not unscrewed a value yet. In probably 25+ uses, although only used it with co2 twice.

Guilty as charged. ;)

Had it a year now, seriously thinking about a wheel upgrade to something lighter than the current ~1900g set and most importantly, a set that doesn't flex enough while I'm climbing out of the saddle to cause rotor rub. Been driving myself mad trying to pick the correct option under £400, thinking Alex CXD4 or Hunt x Mason 4 Season.
Really like the Shimano RS81 C24 I got in a Ribble sale & mess up (got them for £250 instead of £350!) 1500g. Carbon with an alu brake track so can use standard pads. Quite low spoke count but I had no issues with them commuting for 6 months (around 80kg loaded). Amazing wheels for the money if you can find them, even at ~£400-ish.

Another alternative would be Campagnolo Zondas. A couple of years back they where the go-to wheelset around that price point. There will be a Fulcrum branded/labelled alternative but I'm not sure of the exact one.

Picking up my training after my accident/ jaw break. Managed nearly 300km this week. Am pleased with that, even had a nice ride round Bowland on Friday afternoon :)
Amazing progress, well done! Things getting easier with the recovery?

Good numbers, looks a great little climb!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hunt have really increased in popularity the last 12 months or so, really good wheels for the money, just hope they keep up the good work! :D

They're (for the most part) off the shelf bits from novatec and kinlin, which makes me feel like they're a bit strong price-wise. The build quality is obviously good though judging by the reviews and the customer service is by all accounts, excellent.

Soldato
They're (for the most part) off the shelf bits from novatec and kinlin, which makes me feel like they're a bit strong price-wise. The build quality is obviously good though judging by the reviews and the customer service is by all accounts, excellent.

Ahhh, I knew the rims where kinlin but wasn't sure on the hubs, I always presumed they where a Hunt design. Always wished they came with a Hope hub upgrade!

Still novatec and kinlin are very well regarded by almost all who know about wheels & building! :)

Soldato
I was disappointed with Whiteleaf after all the hype!:p

As a 'experienced' (and reasonably fit) cyclist they aren't too challenging but to the normal weekend warrior they're pretty intimidating & tough ;) I know because I've been in both pairs of shoes :p

Put my SeaSucker to alternative use this morning. Needed to run a 6 meter ladder to my mothers 40 miles away... took the skewers out and put a ratchet strap to good use :)

In hindsight, for the safety of other road users, I should have really run another strap through the windows to secure the whole thing to the vehicle by another means, as it did occur to me a 'final destination' moment would be far more likely to ruin the lives of anyone in the vehicle behind than my own :eek: :o

Pictures.

Soldato
Ahhh, I knew the rims where kinlin but wasn't sure on the hubs, I always presumed they where a Hunt design. Always wished they came with a Hope hub upgrade!

Still novatec and kinlin are very well regarded by almost all who know about wheels & building! :)

Malcolm borg at the cycle clinic holds several of the rims hunt use and will build them onto virtually any hub your heart desires

Soldato
As a 'experienced' (and reasonably fit) cyclist they aren't too challenging but to the normal weekend warrior they're pretty intimidating & tough ;) I know because I've been in both pairs of shoes :p

I'm not saying it was easy or anything, it was definitely an effort! I just meant it wasn't particularly memorable. I actually don't think I'll be rushing back to the Chilterns. Similarly, Cheddar Gorge was a super hyped climb that I thought was picturesque in setting but the actual road climb wasn't interesting or memorable.

Soldato
Yeah, pretty much just full on dental work now. The nerve damage along my shin is almost recovered and I can properly move my big toe and stand on my heels which I couldn't do for a while which was pretty freaky.

Fantastic news! All tendons, muscles etc all ok? Amazing really! :)

Malcolm borg at the cycle clinic holds several of the rims hunt use and will build them onto virtually any hub your heart desires
Rim-sistance is futile? :D
(bet the poor guy hears that loads!)

Put my SeaSucker to alternative use this morning. Needed to run a 6 meter ladder to my mothers 40 miles away... took the skewers out and put a ratchet strap to good use :)

In hindsight, for the safety of other road users, I should have really run another strap through the windows to secure the whole thing to the vehicle by another means, as it did occur to me a 'final destination' moment would be far more likely to ruin the lives of anyone in the vehicle behind than my own :eek: :o

Pictures.
That is awesome! All suckers still solidly attached? I'd be quite concerned over the mechanism of the sunroof getting damage to risk that myself, but I guess you've mounted your bike there with no issues!

Sweet ride anyways, do love a white car! Just wish mine was that clean... ;)

Really should get some seasuckers, I don't have the option of a rear roof bar (small car problems!) so use a rear carrier and I'm not happy with the mounting & clearance :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom