About to buy a used bike...I need ...

Soldato
On behalf of all South Africans I apologise for his attitude. We're not all like that! :p
Most of the ones I know and work with are exactly the same. :p :D

This thread has shown something to me though, that there is a potential gap in a the market for a pre sale bike inspection, similar to the car services that the AA and RAC (amongst others) provide for small fee. Google didn't return any results for something like this which did surprise me.

Best option for the OP would be to ask a friend that knows about bikes to go along with them and help with the usual checks, plus any others they think of too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
On behalf of all South Africans I apologise for his attitude. We're not all like that! :p
You are a sad person, one thing you right about, not all are like me, some are just plain stupid. Guess it's not your day to sign up, so nothing better to do than continually add utter rubbish to this thread, people like you never happy till the the thread has being totally junked, not one thing you have said from your first idiotic post, till now has had one iota to do with the subject at hand.

Re InvaderGIR, sure does seem to be, would have thought the garages would be happy to send out a meachanic for a hours labour + bit on top.

Soldato
You are a sad person, one thing you right about, not all are like me, some are just plain stupid. Guess it's not your day to sign up, so nothing better to do than continually add utter rubbish to this thread, people like you never happy till the the thread has being totally junked, not one thing you have said from your first idiotic post, till now has had one iota to do with the subject at hand.

Re InvaderGIR, sure does seem to be, would have thought the garages would be happy to send out a meachanic for a hours labour + bit on top.
Okay then angry man. Enjoy your bike.

Caporegime

Nope, we certainly aren't.

I clocked him the second he called Zimbabwe Rhodesia. Every single Southern African I've ever met who called it Rhodesia are all miserable *****, usually of a certain age too.

Shame really, these old boys live their whole lives being bitter about the post-apartheid era.

Best to leave them to wallow in their misery and get on with your life.

(we actually had a Zimbabwean agency guy here a few months ago for some weekend work, the guy was so bitter it was unreal, he and his family lost a lot in Zimbabwe but he carried that hatred over to here and blamed everything on "the blacks", he just moaned non stop all day long, to the point where everyone just avoided him as they got fed up with it, suffice to say he hasn't been back)

Soldato
The only thing that has derailed this thread has been the attitude and reaction of the OP, in response to praise for his bike and a light hearted comment about being careful getting back on to a bike.

Imagine what would have happened if a real insult had been thrown out there? Or the bike was panned as a poor choice? Or people just ignored the bike and decided to comment on the pros and cons of using eBay to buy motorcycles?

Permabanned
OP
Nope, we certainly aren't.

I clocked him the second he called Zimbabwe Rhodesia. Every single Southern African I've ever met who called it Rhodesia are all miserable *****, usually of a certain age too.

Shame really, these old boys live their whole lives being bitter about the post-apartheid era.

Best to leave them to wallow in their misery and get on with your life.

(we actually had a Zimbabwean agency guy here a few months ago for some weekend work, the guy was so bitter it was unreal, he and his family lost a lot in Zimbabwe but he carried that hatred over to here and blamed everything on "the blacks", he just moaned non stop all day long, to the point where everyone just avoided him as they got fed up with it, suffice to say he hasn't been back)
My last comment in this thread as total knackered now, but here is an example of another fine idiot, I left the country 6 years before it became Zimbabwe, so was Rhodesia then ffs pls I would say try think but it's clearly beyond you.

The rest of the garbage you typed will not even bother answering.

Caporegime
My last comment in this thread as total knackered now, but here is an example of another fine idiot, I left the country 6 years before it became Zimbabwe, so was Rhodesia then ffs pls I would say try think but it's clearly beyond you.

That's a good lad, take your bitterness elsewhere.

Soldato

Well fingers crossed you don't frequent the Biker's Cafe too often with an attitude like that. Cya.

It's a place where people can get advice (like you've done) and when those threads are posted you will always get someone mentioning something slightly off topic, maybe "nice bike" or "oo I wouldn't do that if I were you" type thing. In fact I'm pretty sure this is how most if not all threads work on these forums. It's what makes these forums great, community input.

My comment was slightly off topic, but **** me right for saying nice bike, be careful?

Soldato
Let’s get the thread back on topic, there are a few mobile mechanics in your area, might be worth giving a few a call and seeing if they have any past experience with bikes? Failing that, you could pay a local motorbike dealer for their time to have a look? You may pay up to 1 hours labor charge though.

Soldato
Let’s get the thread back on topic, there are a few mobile mechanics in your area, might be worth giving a few a call and seeing if they have any past experience with bikes? Failing that, you could pay a local motorbike dealer for their time to have a look? You may pay up to 1 hours labor charge though.
And, although more expensive, official dealerships may be able to help if he's desperate.

edit: Just realised you already put that down...dear me lol.

Soldato
Nah guys, your doing this all wrong.

Of course, everybody knows that eBay sellers are 100% honest. I mean I've never heard of anyone buying a used motor from eBay and having a problem, ever right?

You don't need to bring a mechanic, it'll be 100% trust, don't even give the bike a look over.

Also, on the way home, make sure you really give it some, you know, especially on a blind corner, because that's just alpha manliness.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Can you explain how I would tell if seals are shot by grabbing the front brakes? Honestly this seems like just bad advice to me, but I am genuinely curious - it has been said that I have no common sense in the past ;)
Compress the forks with your body weight whilst holding the front brake, how's that for you? :)

Back
Top Bottom