Off to Venice.... any recommendations?

Soldato
Off to Venice this weekend with the missus for our 10 year wedding anniversary and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for any "must do" things to see and do?

We have a gondola ride booked but that's about it - has anyone got any experience of Venice and can make any suggestions?

Soldato
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace the obvious ones, erm the Rialto bridge.. To be honest there's not a million one things to do in Venice as such, we had a great time just getting lost in the back streets it's amazing what you can find. We stumbled into a glass factory they invited us in and showed us around, The main piece was a £500K Chandelier which was bigger than my house. If the weather's nice and you got some time there's some nice beaches just 30mins up the coast.

Oh ye.. Congratulations man... Have a great time whatever you do.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Get around the back streets and drink lots of wine and eat lots of cicchetti (basically like Venetian tapas). We did a great walking food tour which was excellent as well.

Take a water taxi to or from the airport if you can afford it, probably don't need to do it both ways but it was amazing to just step out of the hotel and jump in a boat and arrive right up to the airport.

Soldato
You need to walk around the back streets and don’t eat anywhere that has a tourist menu. Amble around and enjoy the architecture and ambience.

Soldato
Check for the possibility of high tides. We were there some years ago and the place flooded which apparently it does quite often. We were lucky to buy a pair of wellies.

Soldato
Sunrise is spectacular and also quiet because the tourists buses haven’t arrived. I’d recommend an itinerary of exploring early morning followed by a nap followed by cichetti and spritz for 5 hours before a huge dinner.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I quite like the idea of there not being much to do and just wandering around aimlessly!

With 2 kids we rarely get to just wander in and out of places without having to keep an eye on them! (They are having a sleepover with grandma!)

Thanks again....

Soldato
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I quite like the idea of there not being much to do and just wandering around aimlessly!

With 2 kids we rarely get to just wander in and out of places without having to keep an eye on them! (They are having a sleepover with grandma!)

Thanks again....

dont eat in the main squares. as people have said, wander the back streets and find bars and restaurants there. cheaper and better...!

Soldato
Was there last month.

The Doges is the best €20 you will spend by far in Venice.

To save money eat lunch outside of the water based Venice then have evening meal there. Don't go to restaurants because they are cheap (a €9 meal might sound a bargain but its awful). Buy nice meals for €13+ a pop to get good meals. Rialto is nice but is always packed.

If you are catching a bus on the way in, buy from your hotel (€3 for a return), but don't scan them on the bus. That will save you money. Only scan if asked. I saw about 3 people do it in the 4 days I was there.

St Marks, its ok. Inside stick to going upstairs on the roof. Make sure you and wife are covered up too. Rather than brave the queues, with St Marks at your back head over to the left far corner to ticket/info shop. You can specify a time and get a queue jump for €3 and its well worth it.

For souvenirs the further out of Venice you go, the cheaper. Gondolas were €80 for a short ride iirc. Sure it was 30mins???

Be mindful of the City tax. Think its about €2 per person per night.

Oh have a chuckle at the Antifa signs and the sign that says: Bombing for peace is like ****** for virginity.

Soldato
Go for a wander. Some of the best bits of Venice are away from the crowds. My misses went for a nap one afternoon and I went off for a wander round the back streets and canals. I found a "bar" that was actually a window some guy was selling wine out of to a bunch of Italians who had obviously just finished work... 60c a glass and was glorious, but this was a long time ago :p Spent an hour or so chatting in my broken Italianish and English to them and got recommended two local restaurants away from the main strips, both of which were superb. Venice is probably the only place I have been to that looks exactly like you imagined it would

Soldato
Yes, don't bother. It's over hyped and probably worth only a half day max there. Actually, one of the best (better) options is to see it from the water as it's actually far less crowded and you see more.

Back
Top Bottom