Buying Used

Soldato
Hi all

This weekend i plan to visit a local dealer who has an 09 Street Triple for £3,900. Only 11,500 miles, FSH and Arrow Slip ons.

Some questions:

I've not bought Used before so is there anything to look out for?

When a bike is that low of a price is there any point in a deposit?

Is it better to get a bank loan or go through the finance company provided?

Cheers

Permabanned
Hi all

This weekend i plan to visit a local dealer who has an 09 Street Triple for £3,900. Only 11,500 miles, FSH and Arrow Slip ons.

Some questions:

I've not bought Used before so is there anything to look out for?

When a bike is that low of a price is there any point in a deposit?

Is it better to get a bank loan or go through the finance company provided?

Cheers
You be way better getting a loan, as this what I was first going to do when I was thinking of buying the Z1000SX, you could if you looked around get one in around 2.7%, whiich hands down beats what the dealers finance company will offer.

Those street triples are really nice bikes, such a pleasure to ride.

Permabanned
The only issue is, i dont have £3,900 spare :( Do you reckon id be better just getting new as finance is my only option
Well you can get that loan I showed, if your credit is good, (make sure you can cover payments first) ..if that's the bike you like and keeps your payments low, go for it

Soldato
If you're buying second hand here are a few things to check:

· Make sure it's cold when you check it, start it up yourself. If it's warm, why is it warm, why did he start it before you arrived? Could be a bad starter.

· Check that the forks are dry - wet / lubricated forks could mean that the seal has gone. A costly job if you don't do it yourself.

· Check the general condition of the tyres and that they've worn equally, same with the brakes / discs.

· Check chain for excessive wear. While you're down there check the sprockets and that they don't show excessive wear. (The points will be sharper and rounding off at an angle "hooked")

· Check the bodywork, particularly the foot pegs for any damage. Tell tale signs are obviously deep scuffs, but also if they look particularly new; has the bike been dropped?

· Check that the head stock bearings are sound; the steering movement should be smooth with no grinding or snagging.

· Check general condition of the frame and downpipes (exhausts) to make sure there’s no excessive rust.

· Make sure the chassis /VN number matches up to the logbook when / if you eventually buy it.

· Check the government website for the bikes MOT and see what it’s past advisories and failures were - https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

· If you take it for a ride let go of the handlebars, does it pull wildly to the left or right?

·Have the valves been checked/adjusted – how long ago?

If you're considering new then you can get a PCP Street for about £99 a month. Not sure what sort of HP deals you can get.

£3900 for a 2009 Street is kind of high although I don't know what sort of dealership warranty you'd get with it Vs buying privately so that's where the extra cost might come in.

Soldato
It's with loan did link it above, I see same person here posting again not what the subject matter is, I guess some people can't help themselves. (Not you Clov!s)

Huh!? Me? Not sure what your problem is? He asked for what to look out for when buying used so I've replied.

Please don't derail someone elses thread because you have an issue with me. Just add me to your Ignore list or something. Like a grown up...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Loan... at least then you own the bike and only need to worry about paying the bank.

When you finance the bike you don't own it until the final payment, which is a bit pointless on a bike of that value imo.

Permabanned
Apply online... go through moneysavingexpert as you'll get a pre-approval rating which won't count as a credit check.... this will tell you if you're likely to get approved or not.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans#eligibility
Yup this, something I should have said as well. The linked loan really is a good choice if you want to keep you cash in the bank and not lay out a big payment, I looked at taking just over 10k loan and would have paid back less than 500 in interest. (And no I don't work for them in away way what so ever)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yup this, something I should have said as well. The linked loan really is a good choice if you want to keep you cash in the bank and not lay out a big payment, I looked at taking just over 10k loan and would have paid back less than 500 in interest. (And no I don't work for them in away way what so ever)
Don't be so defensive, no one is saying you're affiliated.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Let’s put it this way, you’re coming across very aggressive. I was going to add a wink to my message but now I’m worried you’d think I was coming on to you if that’s how you’ve read my comment :eek:

Also, the fact that you found the need to stipulate that you weren’t affiliated would probably make me (as a moderator) look in to the claims more.

So what if others claim you’re linked? Brush it off and move on. I like to think the people of bikers cafe can have a bit of banter enough to not resort to trying cry foul of a poster so quickly.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Only if you need more money? otherwise get a loan amount for what you need.
You apply online, then if approved the money 'should' be in your bank within 24-48 hours, then you just pay for the bike either bank transfer or with your debit card.

Or take out £6k cash :p

Back
Top Bottom