Any comments or suggestions?

Associate
System:

Corsair Obsidian 500D Midi Tower Gaming Case
Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD X470 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit
WD Black 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe Solid State Drive
Corsair RM Series RMi 650 '80+ Gold' 650W Modular Power Supply
Corsair H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080Ti iChill X3 Ultra 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit DVD - OEM

Peripherals:
Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB POLARIS Mouse Pad
Corsair Gaming STRAFE RGB Cherry MX SILENT Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Corsair Gaming M65 PRO RGB FPS Gaming Mouse
Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB POLARIS Mouse Pad
Acer XR382CQK (Existing)

The computer will be connected to an Acer XR382CQK 3840x1600 monitor, though will have FreeSync disabled obviously and most likely have it de-tuned to 60Hz if frame tearing occurs. I was tired of waiting for a similar model with G-Sync as I prefer the extra screen real estate over the 34” and 35” models as it’s also a work computer. It cost £799.99 on sale at Laptops Direct and is way cheaper than the LG 38UC99 that it shares the same panel with, just be careful to get the UM.TX2EE.009 and not the older and inferior UM.TX2EE.005 version.

I’m planning on Corsair Link to manage PSU and AIO fan curves with Cue+ for the peripherals.

I went with the Corsair 500D case as it’s one of the few with a front panel USB-C port and it’s on sale at an excellent price, using the 240mm in the top and the existing two-case fans in a push-pull configuration, I’m hoping it will generate enough airflow within the case.

I went with the WD Black M.2 2280 over the Samsung 960/970 EVO due to better performance reviews, though none of them would be bad choice.

I went with the Inno3D GTX1080ti iChill X3 as my old Inno3D GTX780ti is still going strong after nearly 5 years despite being overclocked.

If anyone has any thoughts or if I’ve missed something then please advise.

Soldato
If your going nvme route for gaming, 256gb and pair it with large HDD and use AMD StoreMI to turn it into a 'giant hybrid SSD'. If not it's wasted on gaming

Above ram is a damn good steal but you'll have toaunally do the timing and tuning yourself

Associate
OP
buying into the corsair hype i see.

The trouble is the difficulty in getting different ecosystems to work together. I would have loved the Kraken X52 AIO as the infinity mirror on the cooler looks amazing, but the software doesn’t want to play nice and the lack of a proper standard for RGB interfaces is deeply annoying.

Interestingly there are some open source efforts in this area to use the SDK’s of ASUS, Corsair etc. to use a code to synchronise them. It’s on GitHub but to be honest I can’t be doing with tweaking everything.

My previous Overclockers system from 2013 used the Carbide 540 and a Corsair 1000w PSU and peripherals and it’s been rock solid, I hope this one is as robust.

Soldato
The trouble is the difficulty in getting different ecosystems to work together. I would have loved the Kraken X52 AIO as the infinity mirror on the cooler looks amazing, but the software doesn’t want to play nice and the lack of a proper standard for RGB interfaces is deeply annoying.

Interestingly there are some open source efforts in this area to use the SDK’s of ASUS, Corsair etc. to use a code to synchronise them. It’s on GitHub but to be honest I can’t be doing with tweaking everything.

My previous Overclockers system from 2013 used the Carbide 540 and a Corsair 1000w PSU and peripherals and it’s been rock solid, I hope this one is as robust.

i use phanteks Halo rgb fan covers and bolt over any fan i wish to use and plugs into the mobo

asus
cZWg5KG.jpg

aorus
NCssG0R.jpg

etc etc etc

Associate
OP
If your going nvme route for gaming, 256gb and pair it with large HDD and use AMD StoreMI to turn it into a 'giant hybrid SSD'. If not it's wasted on gaming

Above ram is a damn good steal but you'll have toaunally do the timing and tuning yourself

The StoreMI technology sounds really interesting, do you know whether it has to include the boot drive? You’ve got me thinking of using a second 256GB NVMe and a large HDD for gaming, but I want the work data to be separate as that’s critical for my business!

Soldato
The StoreMI technology sounds really interesting, do you know whether it has to include the boot drive? You’ve got me thinking of using a second 256GB NVMe and a large HDD for gaming, but I want the work data to be separate as that’s critical for my business!

I believe you get one licence to pair a drive with another and doesn't have to be permanently tied to the drive, so you could delink and then pair with a faster SSD .
but still believe if your doing OS, would have to be installed on the HDD .

in theory, with licenses could have 2x ( 1sdd + 1 hdd) + (1 sdd + 1 hdd) set up

https://youtu.be/D3-SqJHYzC0

need to set up my aorus system, but have OS already installed on SSD and spare HDD so will see how StoreMI works with away around , though have a feeling will need to clone over to the HDD

Associate
OP
The only thing I'd recommend is faster RAM, as it can benefit Ryzen a lot in some scenarios.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £193.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
I did see this in the Spring Sale but it wasn’t on the compatibility list for the motherboard, I’m hoping that given the tight timings on the Team Group RAM that it can be overclocked to at least 3600Mhz.

Associate
OP
I believe you get one licence to pair a drive with another and doesn't have to be permanently tied to the drive, so you could delink and then pair with a faster SSD .
but still believe if your doing OS, would have to be installed on the HDD .

in theory, with licenses could have 2x ( 1sdd + 1 hdd) + (1 sdd + 1 hdd) set up

https://youtu.be/D3-SqJHYzC0

I’ll definitely look into this as it’s a really interesting concept, I’ll see what I can find out! Off to see Linus, GN, etc. to see if they have any videos!

Soldato
I’ll definitely look into this as it’s a really interesting concept, I’ll see what I can find out! Off to see Linus, GN, etc. to see if they have any videos!

think they do, some were on about pairing intel Optane memory on ryzen board since AMD actually make use for an intel drive hahaha

Man of Honour

I’m planning on Corsair Link to manage PSU and AIO fan curves with Cue+ for the peripherals.
i suspect you'll use it once, maybe 2 or 3 times and then leave it well alone. once the novelty wears out it's not much more than bloatware.
IMO, you're spending waaaay too much on the corsair tax.
but to each their own :)

Associate
OP
i suspect you'll use it once, maybe 2 or 3 times and then leave it well alone. once the novelty wears out it's not much more than bloatware.
IMO, you're spending waaaay too much on the corsair tax.
but to each their own :)

Your definitely right on the Corsair tax but the case was on sale with £30 off, the PSU is £125 but it’s a good one, the cooler isn’t cheap at £120 but it’s the balance between cooling performance and noise is excellent generating the same cooling performance in quiet mode as the original did in performance mode.

As for the peripherals, I managed to snag all but the keyboard in the Maplin closing down sale and paid 32% of the RRP. The keyboard is on sale right now at OC.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-gaming-keyboard-ch-9000121-uk-kb-052-cs.html

So I think the Corsair tax has been dodged for the most part for this build! Interestingly a lot of the Corsair sale prices have ended at OC!

Man of Honour
the PSU is £125 but it’s a good one
can get PSUs that are half the price that are equally good

the cooler isn’t cheap at £120 but it’s the balance between cooling performance and noise is excellent generating the same cooling performance in quiet mode as the original did in performance mode.
same again, for £120, i'd be looking at a better AIO/CLC cooler

Associate
This is what I'd change the build to:

Total: £1,965.97 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Compared to your original build:

Total: £2,046.01 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Alphacool EISBAER LT360 review - shows it beating Corsair's newest 360mm AIO.
But, it arguably looks worse than the Corsair unit you've chosen. Tough call in a windowed case.​

Last edited:
Soldato
T

Alphacool EISBAER LT360 review - shows it beating Corsair's newest 360mm AIO.
But, it arguably looks worse than the Corsair unit you've chosen. Tough call in a windowed case.​

Also pump is a lot quieter when both are 100% !
Sure you can easily get away with eisbaer Lt 240 as well :)

Apply some thermal grizzly paste on the CPU and GPU as 2 slot 2 fan coolers for 1080ti will be pushes hard

Damn good list ! Wonder when NZXT H500 goes on sale here...

Back
Top Bottom