2 player mini-arcade

Don
After my success with the iCade resurrection I decided that I wanted to make something from scratch. it needed to be table-top and look good. So, without further ado.....

I had this old laptop kicking around. It's an Acer Aspire V. 8GB ram, a 60GB SSD and an i5-3000 series CPU. Lets build something.

zw19X8G.jpg

Ikea Aptilig chopping boards are an excellent source of good quality bamboo. They're cheap too.

93Rar5b.jpg

Screen out of the laptop

D3uetkm.jpg

I'm going to use two of these joystick controllers. I've used them before and they are low latency and seem to be reliable.

efssgOk.jpg

Some speakers I'm going to use. Ignore the Pi. That was for another project.

LlCa5er.jpg

Speakers apart.

ukjh9WG.jpg

Side panels cut and screw holes countersunk.

VDJeeHB.jpg

I routed the edges for a nice finish.

Q3vTHTi.jpg

Close up of the countersinking.

Lm02PG2.jpg

Screen back cut from 3/4" MDF and test fitted.

cXA2CO2.jpg

Button and joystick panel cut, routed and holes made.

lqQ4gKD.jpg

Seems to all line up so that's good.

M7hXRcv.jpg

Countersinking for joystick screws.

ODCWd8f.jpg

Routed so it looks tidy.

umbr04h.jpg

There we go.

UHOk3uo.jpg

Test fit of the buttons and joysticks. I'd not yet routed the joystick holes when this was taken.

sMM6Ee7.jpg

I love Forsner bits.

0aKTjXu.jpg

Power button test mounted on front panel.

e8TEO0w.jpg

Looks OK.

yUR8WKj.jpg

Front panel buttons all test mounted.

g1vsOMb.jpg

Auxiliary buttons mounted. This panel goes between the main button panel and the screen.

d0LlsxT.jpg

Test fit of all the panels. Looking good.

3rgV2fE.jpg

View from underneath.

TrKMyio.jpg

Hole for the speaker.

AlS5cvl.jpg

Holes for the speakers and a vent for the laptop CPU cut on one of the side panels.

nhUh4cq.jpg

Top panel cut and routed.

ISxJYns.jpg

Motherboard test mounted on rear panel.

jGSUT8a.jpg

Fan hole cut and a few standoffs mounted.

Pv4MxKr.jpg

All the holes for the standoffs, CPU fan, USB port, and power socket cut and routed.

37JrwHI.jpg

This is the power button for the laptop. I want to retain the USB port so I needed to remove the button and add some wires to my metal power button on the front panel.

SacUlbK.jpg

Wires added.

JhwmhBJ.jpg

Now to make the wood look nice. I love this stuff. It stinks though.

nHVPBRe.jpg

Wire wool to apply the wax. It lightly scratches the wood helping it penetrate.

S4ZPxQb.jpg

All waxed and waiting to dry.

jJXnRvT.jpg

Speakers and buttons mounted. The circuit board is the control panel for the speakers.

mn1I8pz.jpg

Motherboard wired up. The small blocks of wood on the right are ducting for the CPU heatsink.

t47OHSw.jpg

Wiring tidied up

vHiHXtL.jpg

Finished

wRpuOic.jpg

OtCODB1.jpg

8Lj8siS.jpg

g6RXVHR.jpg

Don
OP
Sound is good. The little "subwoofer" actually produces some bass when mounted inside the cabinet. The mids sound fine for the kind of stuff it plays.
Can't really post a video as it would be in contravention of our rules on emulation.

Caporegime
Sound is good. The little "subwoofer" actually produces some bass when mounted inside the cabinet. The mids sound fine for the kind of stuff it plays.
Can't really post a video as it would be in contravention of our rules on emulation.
What front end are you using for this, i assume emulationstation? But what underlying OS, windows or Deb/Arch?

Back
Top Bottom