• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU wildly hot after new build

Associate
Hhhmm, while the rear and top fans are most likely the wrong way round, if you've removed the whole side panel and front panel at this point you've pretty much eliminated the case from the equation.

Associate
OP
Yup that looks about right. Also, for reference a lot (all?) of fans have a small arrow stamped into one edge to show you the direction of airflow.
Alright thanks, i'll bare that in mind.
Well atm i'm on BF1 and running at 80-84 degrees. Not sure how normal that is.

Associate
Alright thanks, i'll bare that in mind.
Well atm i'm on BF1 and running at 80-84 degrees. Not sure how normal that is.
I will try out BF1 later today but I am currently playing Far Cry 5 with 99% GPU utilisation and 79% fan speed and my 970 temps are 78 degrees. My 970 has triple fans though and is factory overclocked

Soldato
Seems more normal now, as long as it doesn't go over 90c you're fine.

How are you applying the thermal paste on it by the way? Unlike CPUs the cooler goes on the die directly so ideally you want to spread the paste to cover the entire area first before putting on the cooler.

Soldato
https://ibb.co/k3ifgT
https://ibb.co/eWqAgT
This correct?
I've just took it apart to move the fans, and applied some new thermal paste again. I'll see what the temps are like now ingame.

Ah you used AMD stock CPU cooler that could explained how wildy hot your GTX 970 card are. In Ryzen 7 2700X reviews tested AMD stock cooler saw 2700X temp gone through the roof at 90C dumped very hot air in the case.

I will try out BF1 later today but I am currently playing Far Cry 5 with 99% GPU utilisation and 79% fan speed and my 970 temps are 78 degrees. My 970 has triple fans though and is factory overclocked

78C on Far Cry 5 seem about right for your GTX 970 with AMD stock CPU cooler blew very hot air flowed into back of GTX 970 card and triple fans very struggled to keep temp down at 79% fan speed.

DudeRandom84 on youtube tested Far Cry 5 on ASUS GTX 970 Strix OC with dual fans, 8700K OC 4.7GHz with Corsair H115i water cooler, be Quiet Silent Base 800 PC case showed GTX 970 OC ran much cooled at around 50C probably with all cases fans running so that was huge difference with GPU temp compared to your GTX 970 with triple fans.

You may need a better CPU cooler to replace garbage AMD stock cooler like Corsair or NXT 360mm triple fans or 280mm dual fans water coolers.

I played Far Cry 5 with 8700K OC 4.7GHz around 55-60C used Corsiar H80iGT with only 1 Noctua 120mm fan pushed airflow at the back of case and MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 temp around 60-65C at 70% fan speed all ran slient with no cases fans.

I googled your Stormforce LUX PC case, you said it is new case but I was surprised to find Stormforce discontinued LUX case and it now no longer listed on their website so I looked at LUX case pictures and I think Stormforce made terrible design decision with plastic covers on top and front that fans on top and front cant get enough airflow push through with plastic covers blocked with no air flowing, Stormforce should used fan filter covers on both top and front so fans can push airflow through fan filter covers.

You could try remove plastic covers on top and front to see if it will improve airflows.

Associate
Would it really matter what cooler you have on the cpu for the temp inside the case? You are removing temps from the cpu so regardless of whether the cooler let's you get the temps lower than 90c you still have the temps being placed into the case or am I understanding wrong?

Try the game you told us about your problem with so we can cross check the results. Its not very useful saying you played wow and got xx temps now you have done all the changes and are playing bf1 with better temps. If the wow results are the same then the problem is still there. But i reckon the exhaust fans changed to the correct orientation will have helped quite a lot. You should always be looking at the pretty side of the fans when looking from the angles of your pictures.

Associate
Would it really matter what cooler you have on the cpu for the temp inside the case? You are removing temps from the cpu so regardless of whether the cooler let's you get the temps lower than 90c you still have the temps being placed into the case or am I understanding wrong?

Try the game you told us about your problem with so we can cross check the results. Its not very useful saying you played wow and got xx temps now you have done all the changes and are playing bf1 with better temps. If the wow results are the same then the problem is still there. But i reckon the exhaust fans changed to the correct orientation will have helped quite a lot. You should always be looking at the pretty side of the fans when looking from the angles of your pictures.

The OP has said he gets the same GPU temp with the side of the case off... the CPU could have feasibly dumped extra heat into the case, but the OP's entire room (in a short enough space of time)? Doubt AXP's little theory holds much water there.

Soldato
Surprised nobody has asked about overclocks and voltage. If its a new build, which it sounds like it is, I'd definitely check that your gpu core voltage is as low as it can be stable at. Might be afterburner setting it too high.

Back
Top Bottom