• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP PLEASE! Nightmare problem

Soldato
Right guys everythings been working fine and dandy on my machine for years, its a good machine not the latest spec but it certainly manages with most my graphic work, and gaming etc, right here goes!

I boot up a game last night and change the graphics settings, seems okay working alright, i interact with an object on said game, and i get a weird graphical artefact but almost like a bug in the game? the pc then goes to black, no signal detected and then crashes!

So i reboot the machine, everytime i reboot it gets to windows just before login, no signal detected!

So i reboot in safe mode, that works can see everything fine, so i decide to uninstall all my Nvidia drivers, so i do it using DDU to remove everything, now i reboot in normal mode, im in again but no gpu drivers are installed so it doesnt look the best!

So i download geforce experience, and try to install it gets part way does the disconnect hardware sound, and then screen goes black, pc crashes and i reboot, everytime i reboot from here on in it gives me no signal detected on screen like before,

So im back into safe mode to remove drivers, ive changed the gpu slot, ive reseated it, ive cleared the cmos, ive tried even another boot drive, but im sat here now running of the graphics card, but just without any drivers installed!

Im losing my mind, i think ultimately i may need to reinstall windows?

Any ideas are greatly and deeply appreciated!

Help! :(

Associate
Without any hardware info, its difficult to start diagnosing issues. GFX model? CPU and MOBO?
First thought is if its a cpu with onboard graphics, it might be getting in the way of the discrete GPU and may need tweaked in BIOS.

Soldato
If you can, try the card in another system to see if it’s a hardware issue.

If it’s been working as you say for years and under graphical work along with gaming I imagine it’s quite a heavy load to place on the card. It’s possivle it’s just giving up.

Other things you can try is updating the bios, removing any over clocks and perhaps underclocking to see if it gains stability back.

Soldato
OP
Graphics card is a Geforce 680, CPU i5-4670k, 16gb ram, and MOBO is a ROG Maximus Gene Matx

@ChocoViennese How would i know where to find that?

@harry5522 No overclocks on it at all! Ive not tried a BIOS update yet, would the GPU work now (im plugged into it as i type this?) even if it was dying?

Cheers Alex

Soldato
OP
There is an option mentioned here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...w-to-disable-integrated-graphics-through-bios, its been a while since I had to do it but I had similar issues with a radeon card and an i5-2600k years ago, worth a go just to rule it out as its quite a simple test.

Spoke to Overclockers and described it all, also spoke to another tech expert they all think the GPU is basically dead, it works without drivers, but as soon as i try to install it unlock the features on it, it dies

Soldato
Spoke to Overclockers and described it all, also spoke to another tech expert they all think the GPU is basically dead, it works without drivers, but as soon as i try to install it unlock the features on it, it dies

Hey I was just thinking about this and a video I saw a few months back

Whilst the issue isn’t identical, it does hold some similarities. Basically the system fails to boot with drivers but is fine without them. He fixes the issue in this video with a rom update. As he says himself this is bit of an invasive repair method and if it goes wrong then the card will be bricked, but if it’s already goosed and out of warranty what do you have to loose from trying?

Soldato
OP
Hey I was just thinking about this and a video I saw a few months back

Whilst the issue isn’t identical, it does hold some similarities. Basically the system fails to boot with drivers but is fine without them. He fixes the issue in this video with a rom update. As he says himself this is bit of an invasive repair method and if it goes wrong then the card will be bricked, but if it’s already goosed and out of warranty what do you have to loose from trying?

I've just bought a 1060 so ill let you know what happens, we'll soon find out if its a card issue

Soldato
Recent 980Ti that died on me did the same thing, soon as drivers loaded up the system went nuts and crashed, safe mode and no drivers everything was as fine as it can be. Nice little upgrade going from a 680 to 1060, you were about due an upgrade anyhow :)

Soldato
OP
Recent 980Ti that died on me did the same thing, soon as drivers loaded up the system went nuts and crashed, safe mode and no drivers everything was as fine as it can be. Nice little upgrade going from a 680 to 1060, you were about due an upgrade anyhow :)

Did you find a new card worked?

Soldato
Yes, fortunately I was running sli so it was easy enough just to switch cards around and try individual ones in certain slots/power connectors to make sure. But exactly the same issues you had...

Graphical glitches
Black/hung screen
Wouldn't boot
Remove drivers all posts fine
Install drivers everything gos back to a crashy mess

In my case the RMA went through fine and got a 1070 in return :)

Soldato
OP
Yes, fortunately I was running sli so it was easy enough just to switch cards around and try individual ones in certain slots/power connectors to make sure. But exactly the same issues you had...

Graphical glitches
Black/hung screen
Wouldn't boot
Remove drivers all posts fine
Install drivers everything gos back to a crashy mess

In my case the RMA went through fine and got a 1070 in return :)

People were saying it could have been the pci-e slots but I doubt it with both especially using a second boot drive too!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Well I spent a couple of hours last night fixing my daughters PC with an aging Nvidia card.

Personally, I suspect it’s actually a combination of Win 10 and Nvidia’s drivers.

Soldato
People were saying it could have been the pci-e slots but I doubt it with both especially using a second boot drive too!

You'll know soon enough once your 1060 arrives.

Though I've little experience in a pcie slot going bad.

I certainly don't think it's a driver/windows issue, yes you get odd behavior from a bad driver install, but not to the extent having any driver installed hangs the system.

My money's on the card giving up.

Soldato
OP
You'll know soon enough once your 1060 arrives.

Though I've little experience in a pcie slot going bad.

I certainly don't think it's a driver/windows issue, yes you get odd behavior from a bad driver install, but not to the extent having any driver installed hangs the system.

My money's on the card giving up.
ive installed it and its full screen alrwady the 680 was giving me a weird window mode, so lets see after or if i can install drivers :) but system seems to be running better already without drivers installed!

Back
Top Bottom