I feel like I'm... done with gaming?

Soldato
Since I built my first gaming PC back in 2004, I've been pretty keen gamer. Also during my childhood and adolescence a fair bit earlier on the Spectrum and Amiga.

I always looked forward to my Xmas gaming binges, took time off around my birthday to do some gaming, and generally always had a game on the go even if I didn't manage to eke out much time to play.

Earlier this year, though, something odd happened. I was at the point just before the last boss of Dark Souls III when, all of a sudden... I just couldn't be bothered going any further.

I installed Life is Strange: Beyond the Storm, but only got 15 minutes in before I completely lost the desire to play (and I was a huge fan of the first one).

It was like a switch just flipped in my brain that totally removed my interest in games. I've looked through my game libraries and wishlists, but I feel... nothing. Not the slightest desire to play anything. Complete lack of interest for most of this year (I've played Fortnite with my kids, but that's more to share an activity with them than me really enjoying it).

I am really quite surprised by this, but not dismayed, I don't think. This isn't intended to be another help me get back into gaming thread. In fact I think I've probably used my time better since this happened. I'm basically curious if anyone else has experienced this. I'm 42, so maybe I'm just past gaming? I really didn't think this would happen - I'd envisioned myself playing Original Sin 20 or Far Cry 30 in my 70s!

Associate
Maybe try VR? I was feeling jaded by the relentless derivative sequels and so I got an Oculus Rift. I get a kick out of the experience each and every time.
Otherwise maybe try indie titles in different genres to your norm, something like Papers, Please.

Soldato
I'm the same age as you OP, and while I certainly wouldn't say I've lost my interest, I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I find it quite hard to be bothered to get into or learn a new game, so often just fire up something like overwatch out if laziness. It's a shame as I do enjoy something new when I force myself.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway, not that it sounds like you are, as long as you're happy with however you're spending your free time. It's interesting though that your interest should suddenly change, assuming theit are no other factors such as something else you suddenly realised you enjoy doing instead.

Soldato
Check out my thread on single player games. Some amazing options. But yes, the last few years have been flooded with cash grabbing, loot box infested sequels. The market is now very much one of the largest entertainment branches and as a result. Companies play it safe and release games with little innovation for as much profit as possible.

Soldato
Switch up what you are playing, there are more than enough genres of games to play something you probably havent played before...if not, just take a week or 2 off and see if you fancy playing anything then...i have times where i go off games, always seem to then end up going back to TF2 for some reason haha

I haz 4090!
Don
It's because you're trying to force it. I'm old too and I go through the same thing. Sitting looking through your Steam library won't make something jump out at you and make you fall in love with gaming again. If you aren't enjoying it, take a break. I went off single player games completely, all I played was Overwatch, which I also tired of. I took a break and did normal stuff, now I'm enjoying Overwatch, and more recently, Fortnite. Last night I thought I'd give the RE7 DLC a try as it's been sitting in my list for ages, and I'm loving it.

It'll come back :)

Soldato
OP
Maybe try VR? I was feeling jaded by the relentless derivative sequels and so I got an Oculus Rift. I get a kick out of the experience each and every time.
Otherwise maybe try indie titles in different genres to your norm, something like Papers, Please.

I was looking into VR before this lull. I'm curious how well it would work for me. I'm stereoblind so no idea how I'd percieve it.

Check out my thread on single player games. Some amazing options. But yes, the last few years have been flooded with cash grabbing, loot box infested sequels. The market is now very much one of the largest entertainment branches and as a result. Companies play it safe and release games with little innovation for as much profit as possible.

Maybe it’s a seasonal thing?

I hardly game in summer at all, I’d rather be outside making the most of the light evenings.

Switch up what you are playing, there are more than enough genres of games to play something you probably havent played before...if not, just take a week or 2 off and see if you fancy playing anything then...i have times where i go off games, always seem to then end up going back to TF2 for some reason haha

It's because you're trying to force it. I'm old too and I go through the same thing. Sitting looking through your Steam library won't make something jump out at you and make you fall in love with gaming again. If you aren't enjoying it, take a break. I went off single player games completely, all I played was Overwatch, which I also tired of. I took a break and did normal stuff, now I'm enjoying Overwatch, and more recently, Fortnite. Last night I thought I'd give the RE7 DLC a try as it's been sitting in my list for ages, and I'm loving it.

It'll come back :)

Yeah, I've thought all of these thoughts. Thing is, it's not a couple of week lull - more like nearly five months. I've never had an issue gaming in summer. I have a summer birthday and always enjoyed taking a few days off to get into a game to celebrate. Also, I have a huge variety of games in my library and on my wishlist and I'm not motivated by any of them. And I went from Dark Souls III to Life is Strange: Before the Storm - can't get much more switched up than that! :)

I'm not really trying to force it, either. I'm more curious and surprised than feeling like I'd really like to get back into it. I used to remember fondly the fun times I'd had in games - Xmas playing Bioshock: Infinite or The Witcher 3, birthdays playing Tropico 5 or working through the Dark Souls games (up to the end of III anyway!) I looked back on feeling the fun I'd had. All of a sudden I recollect these times and think more, "what a waste of time". It's weird how suddenly this happened, though - it was like one minute I was really enjoying DSIII, planning character builds, etc., and the next I had no interest whatsoever. Really just like a switch flicking in my head.

It's weird because I'd been saving up for a new gaming PC. I got to £1200 and I'm still looking at the CPU forum threads, but I'm slowly starting to realise that that's not remotely important now since I have no plans at all to do anything more than browse the internet, use Word, Excel and SPSS and watch the odd video.

Soldato
On the contrary chap, buying a new PC revitalized my love for gaming a little. I picked up titles and wanted to see how they performed! Maybe a new PC might do you the world of good? Out with the old, in with the new. Revisit titles and crank those settings up! Why not invest in a new monitor at the same time to increase your resolution as well? 1440p IPS panel is night and day from 1080p LCD and the upgrade isn't expensive at all.

Hold strong, gaming hasn't died for you, it's just not your thing right now.

gEd

gEd

Associate
Or perhaps the OP has simply outgrown gaming and has realised that he wants to do other things with his life. In which case blowing a grand on a new pc may prove to be a regrettable decision.

My interest in gaming waned significantly in my 40's when time in which to do other things becomes more precious. I have kept kidding myself that I'm still into gaming. I even grabbed a Saitek X52 joystick off ebay last year to "get to grips" with the space game I can't remember the name of. Played for 2 hours and not used it since or any other game in the last 4 months.

(as I'm in my 50's) I was thinking about perhaps trying out a golf game the other day (do they still do them)? I recall Links386 very fondly from about 1990.

Soldato
42 here too and still loving pc gaming. Long may it continue. For me it has to be multiplayer and social. Loved the first 2 Witcher games. Bought the 3rd recently but got bored of playing on my own with no one to chat/interact with. Have about 1000+ hours in pubg and can't get enough of it. Not because of the game so much but more the social aspect.
Maybe look to more multiplayer games and use discord/twitch etc to make it more social?

Associate
You owe it to yourself to get an oculus rift and try VR before you decide to hang up your gaming boots for good.

I have felt the same way a lot over the past few years, but now and again a game would come out of nowhere and I would play it thoroughly. Most recently I guess were Max Payne 3 (ok that ones not so recent), new Doom, Nier:Automatica and Subnautica.

Many others came and went after a couple of hours but some games like those I mentioned would always make me rediscover that actually I love gaming, and that it truly is down to a hell of a lot of crap derivative reskinned rehashes being released the past few years, and not me growing out of it.

Then like someone else here did, I bought an Oculus Rift at the start of the year, and now I'm playing it nearly every day. The library of good quality VR games is small but is definitely growing and accelerating. The experience itself is amazing. I've probably put more hours into VR since January than I did gaming the whole of last year.

Even if you do decide to give up on gaming, I think it would be a damn shame if you didn't decide to check out VR first before retiring.

Caporegime
I think with yourself it’s actually to do with having something else to occupy the time that you enjoy more in your case the cars.

I wonder if OP has something else he enjoys more that he could spend his time doing :p
Nah i just sit at my computer doing sod all because i cant be bothered to open a game.

Soldato
It's natural to lose and gain interest in hobbies as you get older. I used to play cricket and follow it quite closely, now I don't bother with it at all and going the same with with football. However I used to have a passing interest in rugby but now that's a massive time sync via playing and watching games.

Associate
Nah i just sit at my computer doing sod all because i cant be bothered to open a game.

Sounds exactly like me a lot of the time. It's like a default "doing nothing" position. One day I had an epiphany that told me I may as well just stand upright in one place in my room for hours, asking myself what I should do. At least that way I won't be destroying my spine slouched in a chair while pondering the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom