GDPR

Soldato
Hi all,

Need some ideas.

My wife's work has 2 websites, one is run by Yell and the other is a Joomla website I've posted about before.

It's on an out of date version, upgrading is going to be a royal pain and the developer changed career.

Now, they want to have a GDPR page where we can link to in a bulk email and then they can respond and click that they accept.

I am thinking that a MailChimp campaign may be easier to manage, or a mass email that links to a basic google form.

If I do it there way surely it'll need a custom URL per email so I can track who's clicked it and accepted the new terms but that seems like a royal pain in the backside. Numbers wise, not sure but it's every cricket club in the UK...

Soldato
Mailchimp would be easy to do.
1 create a distribution list and add all of your non GDPR-compliant addresses.
2 create an empty distribution list for GDPR-compliant addresses
3 email the non GDPR distribution list with a link to signup for the GDPR list
4 all future email is sent to the GDPR list

Needs to be done today because you wont be allowed to email the non GDPR list after tomorrow

Soldato
OP
Mailchimp would be easy to do.
1 create a distribution list and add all of your non GDPR-compliant addresses.
2 create an empty distribution list for GDPR-compliant addresses
3 email the non GDPR distribution list with a link to signup for the GDPR list
4 all future email is sent to the GDPR list

Needs to be done today because you wont be allowed to email the non GDPR list after tomorrow

Thanks,

Yeah that's what I was thinking, non-gdpr list > email > landing page > GDPR list

And yes, I've advised them that it needs to be done now

Soldato
That's exactly what we did all in Mailchimp.
Created an empty list for all new signups, used their generic sign up form which they host to capture the new data, then added the old database to a list and asked them if they wanted further communication to sign up to the new list and linked them to the opt in form. Didn't have to touch the existing websites as it's all handled by Mailchimp. After a couple of weeks once the click rate drops on the old email, delete the old list.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I actually built it all last night on my account, went in this morning at 09:30 and left at 11:40 having sat with them while they made the campaign, lists and email template and sent it out.

3,000 emails sent out today before 12. No idea what the click-through rates are yet but it'll be an interesting one.

Fastest turn around I've done on a larger scale job like this.

It's made me realise I do miss my SEO/PPC/Media position that I had, really used to enjoy that kind of work.

Soldato

You mean you're more likely to get fined tomorrow (today)

Here's an article talking about doubt-opt in requirements and keeping a record of consent dating back to 2016: https://litmus.com/blog/how-to-master-international-opt-in-requirements

It's always been a requirement for dealing with people in the UK. Just it was never enforced.

If people were implementing these things correctly in the first place then they wouldn't need to send the emails, and if you're sending them ASKING them to opt in you're doing exactly what you weren't allowed to do before in the first place.

Annoyingly, it's hard to find all the legislation in google now dating back that far because it's all hidden behind fresh pages of GDPR and I can't remember the name/date it was published, but this is stuff I've been implementing since 2004.

Soldato
OP
Well, my understanding is that they are actually offering a very bespoke service/product to every cricket club in the UK.

Because it's going to be of ‘legitimate interest’ to them that they are allowed to market to the clubs without GDPR but sometimes they will need consent to comply with the PECR.

Again, they're going to have issues because some of the club emails are personal emails for people running the clubs...

It's a bleed'in nightmare in all honesty!

Back
Top Bottom