all in one server

Associate
so my current Seagate 2TB nas can no longer fit my local storage needs , all my current library of films and TV shows are now getting changed for 4k deriviants where possible and can range from 20gb towards 80-90gb depending on bitrate + res etc.

all these files are streamed locally , however I would like to open up the front end for streaming over the internet for long haul travels and file dumping. ( usually HTML + CSS documents and assets.)

forgive me where I get things twisted , but looking at something more bespoke then just another nas as I need it to ideally host sites from IIS , FTP's & Game servers for testing and development.

with 4k files being rather huge , can someone spec me server class drives with GOOD read/writes Preff mechanical to save costs for other hardware?

ideally if streaming locally id like to be able to decode on the fly rather than have the recipient device do the work , my TV accepts certain 4k packages over network and does a good job on the whole , but these are usally MKV packaged MP4 codecd. rather than HEVC or x265 encodes. making file compatibility a pain at times. ( p.s … does handbrake not play ball with 4k files ? )

as for the game servers and hosting ( possibly at the same time ) im assuming a cheapish ryzen CPU ( 2500 and such ) would be plentiful ?

as for ram... non ecc as this isn't mission critical but what would be ample and semi future proofing … 16gb ?

cheers for the help in advanced

Associate
Have you considered renting a vps (Hetzner or similar ), and GSuite for storage. Likely to be cheaper and maintenance not your problem. Also silent if that's a concern

Soldato
For HDD's I've been using the Toshiba x300 - costs a bit less or the same as a WD Red of same capacity, but gives better performance (mainly as it's a 7.2k rpm drive)

CPU wise, anything with 4c8t or more should be fine, Im using a KabyLake Pentium in my NAS come server and it's been fine running quite a few apps/services and VM's at once, and it's only 2c4t

Soldato
I've just broken down and I'm slowly selling off my FreeNAS box that happily streamed 4k.

I had an 8 drive, WD RE4 7200 RPM Z-RAID 2 array (2 drives lost for parity) and I rarely got anywhear the max throughput of the drives.

CPU wise the box was a dual X5650, so 12C and 24T. RAM was what i found made the most difference though with it being ZFS, and I had 90GB in there

I dont think even when transcoding I ever got near using the second CPU.

Back
Top Bottom