The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
Same boat, still trying to find reasons not to sell my 70-200ii. Was thinking about a 1ds mkIII but decided I would struggle with the antiquated interface and high ISO performance.

Things I’ve noticed from using it in a work environment.

These are mostly to do with settings, custom buttons.

1 – Don’t set Auto image review after a shot is taken.

This is because the normal way to set the buttons for most people to use Eye Focus is to set one of the buttons at the back AF-ON or AEL as the eye focus. But these buttons are also the Zoom +/- buttons. So if you have auto image review turned on, after a shot is taken, it’ll pop up on the EVF or LCD. If you immediately want to take the next shot and press AEL, or AF-ON, you end up zooming into the last photo, instead of Eye-focus lock on the next picture. This is isn’t a problem on the Canon since that’s not the zoom buttons and also of the Optical Viewfinder.

I used to like a 2 second review….but I guess this won’t be possible now.

2 – I’ve seen a few tutorials online on how to set up the cameras by various YouTubers, they all put the FF/APSC Super35 toggle as one of the custom buttons so in a pinch they can use it as a zoom. I tried this and came away thinking this is a stupid idea because I know in the rush of a wedding, I can accidentally press the wrong button and end up cropping my images and end up with 10mp images…..I think I’ll leave it FF all the time and if I need to, crop in post. Same thing anyway.

3 – The focus zone select need a hard stop as opposed to loop da loop. That way I can press a button then turn the wheel to reset the focus points to WIDE without looking and save time. When it just loops around I can’t.

4 – I don’t like I am unable to move the spot focus point around with the dials. You can set the thumb wheel to move either Up/Down or Left Right. But there is no way to custom the front dial to the same. So you can either have the thumb wheel to do one, and use the stick to move the other direction. This is just weird.

I have no problem with its colour science, focus is good, very good although not perfect like some reviews have you believed. Ergonomics is fine, battery life is good, 2200 images with 40% battery left after 3 hours shoot.

I’ll fill in more later after I review more of my images.

Associate
Oh I wasn't going to jump ship lens wise, I have a decent collection now (24-70L 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 100L Macro, 135L, 50 1.8 and 24-105L), but the Sony Body just seems incredible and I wanted to ensure my glass could be used to the best of its ability still via an adaptor.

BTW that bag is really really lovely, I hate you for posting it :D

I wish to do the same just add a Sony body ( A7iii ) to my kit and use as much canon glass as possible on it.

Caporegime
Picked up a Nikon D7200 with 3k shutter actuations, compatible battery grip and the dummies book for £500. Added the Peak Design clutch strap, but undecided on that atm.

GBQIgWG.jpg

inZwfLh

Soldato
Just bought a Sony RX100 V after a few years of having no camera at all. Decided that a DSLR is just too big as I do a lot of travelling in my job but having that amount of space in my travel bag isn't really an option. Its not the most intuitive camera I've ever bought but the image quality is rather nice.

Soldato
My leather stuff, the Leather grip arrived today.

Aluminium base with a built in Arca Swiss compatible plate. Enough space for my fingers to go between the lens, even a 50/1.4, battery door opens, enough height for my pinky. Tile screen opens easily. The only downside is access to the micro USB and USB-C flap is a little restricted. I can get to the USB-C but not the micro USB. Not a problem as I can still charge via USB-C anyway. Job done, pinky problem solved.

orXROoe.jpg

Where did you get this metal plate and leather cover Raymond ?

Caporegime
A nice little combo to replace my a6000.

g64Mpcfl.jpg

I'll be keeping my 70D and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM for a while longer as Sony telephotos are ££££. This is just easy to carry around gives me the chance to try out some nice lenses.

Soldato
My leather stuff, the Leather grip arrived today.

Aluminium base with a built in Arca Swiss compatible plate. Enough space for my fingers to go between the lens, even a 50/1.4, battery door opens, enough height for my pinky. Tile screen opens easily. The only downside is access to the micro USB and USB-C flap is a little restricted. I can get to the USB-C but not the micro USB. Not a problem as I can still charge via USB-C anyway. Job done, pinky problem solved.

CSyBbRR.jpg

UX8Al78.jpg

orXROoe.jpg

UNEyZIO.jpg

P3CUCyN.jpg

vtKsWm9.jpg

How are you finding the finger clearance when using the chunkier lenses? I've only handled the A7III with a 55mm f1.8 attached, which was nice but I can see larger lenses causing problems with my fat fingers...

I just spent an age trying to find your post in the A7III thread, started to think I had imagined seeing it!

Caporegime
How are you finding the finger clearance when using the chunkier lenses? I've only handled the A7III with a 55mm f1.8 attached, which was nice but I can see larger lenses causing problems with my fat fingers...

I just spent an age trying to find your post in the A7III thread, started to think I had imagined seeing it!

I only have the 50/1.4 Zeiss and it fits fine, there’s perhaps about 3-4mm gap between the knuckles to the body of the lens and that’s where the lens shape changes angle to fit on the mount to 45 degrees.

I actually find myself ticking the little finger in the little battery door for grip and stability too.

Associate
Just got my first filter since I'm a noob, got a Hoya Pro1 polariser, as well as a Tenba BYOB 9 insert, and Peak Design Slide Lite (which is being sent back, as they sent me the old revision). Heading to Ireland tomorrow to see my GF, looking forward to trying out my new stuff.

Associate
A complete school boy error resulting in a new toy, TLDNR my Nikon D7100 was on a tripod up in Scotland (Eileen Donnan Castle) and a gust of wing blew it over onto some rocks. Complete right off :( . Mad at myself because i was just about to grab it as I thought to myself 'this winds getting up a bit'. I was basically about 2 seconds too late.

Oh well lesson learned and in with the new... i've decided to go full frame.

32337193_10215415096791468_84685596752084992_n.jpg

Soldato
A complete school boy error resulting in a new toy, TLDNR my Nikon D7100 was on a tripod up in Scotland (Eileen Donnan Castle) and a gust of wing blew it over onto some rocks. Complete right off :( . Mad at myself because i was just about to grab it as I thought to myself 'this winds getting up a bit'. I was basically about 2 seconds too late.

Nice upgrade :)

Associate

Congratulations. A truly superb camera. Enjoy ☺

Back
Top Bottom