Are 4K films really worth the premium price ?

Soldato
Neighbour has given me the use of his player and a few films for a week so I'll see how they look as I've not seen disc based content yet

Soldato
Tried the neighbours player along with sicario, magnificent seven, amazing spiderman 2 and ghostbusters and all I can say is wow, stunning image quality especially ghostbusters and the use of colour and HDR.
I still say they're too expensive for new films but I'd be happy to pay £15

Soldato
Some of them are good but TBH it's mainly the HDR you notice more than the sharper picture. We have a Sony 55" set and it does a pretty good job of upscaling Blu-ray which may be part of the problem 4K seems to be having getting established. It still seems to be hit and miss in the High Street. HMV usually have the best selection, with very selected titles (sometimes) in Tesco and Sainsbury's. Asda don't seem to give a cuss, half the time our local branch doesn't have all the mainstream titles on Blu-ray just DVD, let alone 4K.

As regards pricing, £25 vs. £7 for a DVD got to be off-putting to the average punter who just wants to watch a movie with a dog and a beer. Relatively speaking, they are still cheaper than back in the day when we were buying laserdiscs at up to £40 a time, from the likes of that company who used to trade in Wickford. But then there seemed to be something special about buying LD, you felt like part of an exclusive club. 4K doesn't really give that same buzz...

Soldato
Over decent 1080p, i'd say no. It looks cool for sure and i'd pick 4k/hdr if given the choice, but it's not as big a deal as some people make out. This is on a 65" oled.

Soldato
Some of them are good but TBH it's mainly the HDR you notice more than the sharper picture. We have a Sony 55" set and it does a pretty good job of upscaling Blu-ray which may be part of the problem 4K seems to be having getting established. It still seems to be hit and miss in the High Street. HMV usually have the best selection, with very selected titles (sometimes) in Tesco and Sainsbury's. Asda don't seem to give a cuss, half the time our local branch doesn't have all the mainstream titles on Blu-ray just DVD, let alone 4K.

As regards pricing, £25 vs. £7 for a DVD got to be off-putting to the average punter who just wants to watch a movie with a dog and a beer. Relatively speaking, they are still cheaper than back in the day when we were buying laserdiscs at up to £40 a time, from the likes of that company who used to trade in Wickford. But then there seemed to be something special about buying LD, you felt like part of an exclusive club. 4K doesn't really give that same buzz...

I believe the pick up of 4k has been very good better than Blu-ray. 4k players have had a massive jump in sales.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Zoom.co.uk have a 2 for £30 at the moment, which includes Gladiator (HMV/Amazon don't seem to) in case anyone was interested.

Soldato
You want to see it on a 75" 3000nit LCD TV ;)

I've seen it on high end led and it looks nice for sure. And better than oled in certain scenes. The vast majority of what I watch looks better on oled tho. I do rate 4k/hdr btw, it's just not all that over good quality 1080p. 4k comes into it's own, imho, with large pj setups.

Soldato
Was over in Florida last week and went into Best Buy, kinda Pc World/HMV style place, they were selling some 4K UHD discs for just over £10, normally they are 25-30 bucks there so grabbed a few. Also managed to get the HMV special Steelbook 4K UHD of Kingsman Golden Circle for £14.99 online, they are decent buys at around £15 or less.

Soldato
I've seen it on high end led and it looks nice for sure. And better than oled in certain scenes. The vast majority of what I watch looks better on oled tho. I do rate 4k/hdr btw, it's just not all that over good quality 1080p. 4k comes into it's own, imho, with large pj setups.

It depends on what TV you have and if it's been calibrated. I can't go back to 1080p as I can see the difference.

Was over in Florida last week and went into Best Buy, kinda Pc World/HMV style place, they were selling some 4K UHD discs for just over £10, normally they are 25-30 bucks there so grabbed a few. Also managed to get the HMV special Steelbook 4K UHD of Kingsman Golden Circle for £14.99 online, they are decent buys at around £15 or less.

I hope you got Annihilation 4k while you was in the store?

Back
Top Bottom