Commodore Amiga owners thread!

Associate
Did anyone ever link up multiplay with their Amiga? I never did personally but I do remember seeing two Amiga's hooked up via serial (I think null modem?) playing Lotus II, my parents weren't keen on purchasing another Amiga though, hardly surprising :D
Yup, did that regularly with friends. Mostly Lotus II, but also Armour-Geddon on occasion. Linking an Amiga with an ST was possible, but in practice they tended to go out of sync and crash after a while.

Man of Honour
Yes me and my brother had Amiga 500+'s and connected via null modem cable :D I can't remember us playing anything apart from Lotus 4 player though over it.

Permabanned
The Amiga 500, what a BEAST this machine was with the gameplay to match. So much originality, lastime repeated by the PS1 and never since. Now consoles are like "The same room with a new lick of paint"..zzZZzz

There was one other machine i rate alongside the Amiga and thats the C64, awesome.

Soldato
500, 600 and 1200 here. I need to redo one I think.. I messed with a GOTEK drive and installing WHD Load and think I borked it.

I'm having DF:0 errors when putting a floppy disk in. Any ideas..?

Associate
500 here, Screen Gems pack. Had it one Christmas.

But the preceeding weeks leading up to Crimbo I knew where it was hidden and I had a 40 minute window from the time my parents left for work and the time I had to catch the bus to school.

Timewise I had unboxing, setting up and boxing back up again down to a fine art. Secretly playing Nightbreed, Back to the Future, Days of Thunder (pooh) and the classic Shadow of the Beast II with the '10 Pints' cheat :)

Soldato
I had the Amiga 500 "10 star" pack from Silica systems. I loved that to death. I think I got it in 1988. It came with Kickstart 1.3, and the first game I bought for it (yes, bought, I know!), Double Dragon 2, didn't work with 1.3, only 1.2. D'oh! Though I didn't say "D'oh!" as the Simpsons wouldn't exist for a few more years.
For joysticks, I used to like the Cruiser and of course, the Competition Pro. Though I did try a Zip Stick once and that was also ace.

Later on we got an A1200, which I still have and it still works. It was bought from Trilogic in Bradford, where they shoehorned a 210MB 3.5" IDE HDD into it. Having a hard disk was a revelation. I used to love ripping the music mods out of anything I could, then playing them back on Eagleplayer. I nearly died when I pulled the tune out of Chuck Rock and converted it from ProRunner2 (or some other mod compressor) back to a standard protracker mod. At some point later I ended up getting a 68030 accelerator, which is still in the 1200. I think that came from Gordon Harwood, though I have no recollection if I bought it or my parents did. If they bought it, I'd love to know how I talked them into it.

I spent my first year online (1996) using the Amiga to do email, FTP (Aminet was a gold mine), web browsing and IRC.

Soldato
Yes me and my brother had Amiga 500+'s and connected via null modem cable :D I can't remember us playing anything apart from Lotus 4 player though over it.
I remember doing that too my Amiga in my bedroom and my brothers upstairs. We had A500, then A600 & A1200. Also remember fitting a HDD internally into the A1200. We also created a very very long null modem cable that ran between our house and our neighbours house over the driveway in between so we could connect our two Amiga's together. I used a bow and arrow with the cable attached to fire it through the neighbours upstairs window.

I was also known as Vark back then and did Vark Utilities discs upto about 28 featuring the best collection of Amiga utils I could fine that month and most of them were featured on the front of Amiga Magazines. Wrote a few demo's too as part of a group and I found some of them when I was looking at Amiga stuff in Google available to download.

Also remember ACE magazine, won a competition on there to spend a day at Gremlin Graphics.

Soldato
Owned: Amiga 500 & CD32.

I had an Amiga 500 and remember the upgrading it to the full 1meg ram.

I just had the basic Amiga with mouse and joystick. I had quite a lot of games, more than I've owned for any machine I've had since.

I also owned for a short time the CD32. I think it was the first CD-ROM based fully 32-bit console. But sadly it didnt have a long life. I wish it had been around longer. There was lots of potential in that machine.

I think I've played more games on the Amiga 500 than any other console/computer ever since.

Soldato
Anyone know what the "DF:0 ????" error means on the A1200?

I tried installing a CF card for WHDload and borked it somehow with a GOTEK drive I have. I can play Frontier Elite 2 but trying to load Roadkill for example gives that error or "Icons have no default tools" as well.

I tried installing Roadkill to the little hard drive but had a read/write error I can't remember which. Is this a bad floppy disk, or bad floppy drive?

Also my A500 has the Workbench 1.3 boot screen showing a hand with a floppy being inserted. Is it waiting for a game disc or workbench discs? I ordered some from Amiga Forever but completely forget what to do..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't help much with the CF card. But DF:0 indicates an issue with the first floppy (disk floppy 0). The workbench hand is indeed waiting for you to insert the workbench floppy disk.

Soldato
I have the Workbench disks somewhere when I got them off Amiga Forever. Would cleaning the floppy drive work?

I have Top Gear 2 and disk 1 is having the DF:0 error, so I found another set of disks on the bay and thankfully comes with a manual, which I haven't got yet. Getting some Isopropyl Alc to clean the drive and hopefully these disks will then work..

However disk 2 shows up as an installer, then has "Read errors on block xxx"

I also have a SUM USB keyboard adapter coming soon as my A1200 keyboard is missing springs and doing constant key presses and driving me nuts..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm really tempted to buy an Amiga 500+ again. I'm not yet sure though whether to get a nail and do it up or a reasonable one.

I eventually found the original pack I had before -

Zool-_Software-_Pack-_Commodore-_Amiga-4.jpg

My brother had the more common Cartoon Classics one. I've not seen so many of the Silica pack I had around?

Man of Honour
Well I took the plunge and won a bid on a working but in need of a little TLC 500+ for £80 inc delivery :) Just looking up how to retrobright again...

Plans are to: Get a joystick, get 512k extra memory (had that originally - also the extra floppy and CD drive but not likely to get those now) and mod it so it can run games off CF card. I'll definitely pick up some boxed classics as well. Pics and mini blog begin next week. Might start a new thread on it...

Back
Top Bottom