Dolby Atmos and PC gaming

Associate
I've got an amp that is capable of Dolby Atmos and was thinking about getting a couple of speakers for the ceiling and setting it up.

I'm just thinking is there any point as it doesn't seem like any PC games even support it?

Has anyone got Atmos setup for gaming and does it make a difference even if you're playing a game that doesn't have the Atmos audio format?

I'm not a big Movie watcher so really it's just for gaming and the footy on Sky really.

Associate
OP
Cheers bud, but I know how to set it up already ;)

I was just asking what peoples views were on Atmos for PC gaming and if it's worth setting it up or not.

I did find out my amp will allow non-Dolby Atmos/DTS:X encoded audio content to be "upmixed" to the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X environments, So that's good news because of the lack of content atm.

Associate
OP
Just an update for anyone whos thinking of Setting up Atmos/DTS:X I would thoroughly recommend it.

I only bought some cheap ceiling speakers to make up the height ones in a 5.1.2 setup and they work brilliantly. Its add an extra dimension to games and movies, when it's raining or thundering on screen in it sounds unreal with it coming from above lol

Caporegime
I had to go with Upward firing speakers, but a 5.1.4 ceiling setup would be ideal.

I mainly use it when watching 4K blu-rays, but I did test Battlefield 1 and that sounded really good.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I'm really glad I went ahead with it.

I'd like 5.1.4 but my amp only does 5.1.2. I'm happy with it though and will have to forget 5.1.4 exists or ill end up buying a new Amp lol

Associate
Just an update for anyone whos thinking of Setting up Atmos/DTS:X I would thoroughly recommend it.

I only bought some cheap ceiling speakers to make up the height ones in a 5.1.2 setup and they work brilliantly. Its add an extra dimension to games and movies, when it's raining or thundering on screen in it sounds unreal with it coming from above lol

What speakers did you go for? I take it you recommend them..?

Associate
I have 5.1.2 with my Denon 1300W amp and Boston Acoustics SE speakers. Really happy with it, but i mostly watch movies. BF1 sounds pretty amazing in Atmos tho! My amp also only goes upto 5.1.2, i'll be upgrading in the future too. Do many PC games support Atmos?!

Associate
OP
I have 5.1.2 with my Denon 1300W amp and Boston Acoustics SE speakers. Really happy with it, but i mostly watch movies. BF1 sounds pretty amazing in Atmos tho! My amp also only goes upto 5.1.2, i'll be upgrading in the future too. Do many PC games support Atmos?!

9 games support it properly but at least we have the faux Atmos modes on amp's for everything else.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/games.html

I'm playing Origins atm and can't say that i have seen "Atmos" pop up on my amp when im playing it, i'll have to check later and get it working properly if not. I have Tomb Raider as well so i give that a go as well while im at it.

Associate
OP
So they took it out of AC:O and they never put it in Tomb Radier on the PC :(

It looks like the PC only has 2 native Amtos games and the Xbox One X 9 lol

Caporegime
9 games support it properly but at least we have the faux Atmos modes on amp's for everything else.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/games.html

I'm playing Origins atm and can't say that i have seen "Atmos" pop up on my amp when im playing it, i'll have to check later and get it working properly if not. I have Tomb Raider as well so i give that a go as well while im at it.

Origins on Xbox one X worked fine in Atmos. I dont believe the PC version supports it though.

Associate
OP
Have you found any more pc games supporting atmos? Interested myself as I've just ordered parts for a 5.1.4 set-up myself.

Not as yet no.

The faux Atmos does a decent job of it for now on Amps so it's still worth sorting out. Just don't forget to get the Dolby app on the PC which allows you to set the spatial sound as Dolby Atmos in playback settings.

Back
Top Bottom