Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Pesky thread has made me pop into my local games workshop - been at least 20 years since I last touched an Ork or Gremlin, now got a Space Marine Tactical Squad and paint starter set for a nice gentle reintroduction :)

Its changed a lot - last time I was doing this 40K looked very very different!

Soldato
Had a go at making a wet palette.

kIPHUDa.jpg

They're bath sponges I've just in 1/2, seemed to work o.k, paint stayed useable for well over an hour, but think I need to try to find some more absorbant sponges.

Models driving me crazy, so many places that are near impossible to reach, so tempted to say screw it and just start on another model, but gonna keep going in the aim of practising.

Commissario
With a lot of more complicated/detailed/fiddly models it can often be worth considering how you're going to paint it when assembling, often it's best to leave off things like capes or bulky weapons that go too tight against the body off until after you've painted.

Soldato
With a lot of more complicated/detailed/fiddly models it can often be worth considering how you're going to paint it when assembling, often it's best to leave off things like capes or bulky weapons that go too tight against the body off until after you've painted.

A thousand times this - space marines with a bolt gun across the torso can be a bitch to do with the weapon in place before you paint for example

Commissario
*points at Tau Fire Warriors*

Aye, the Lord of Skulls I'm very slowly working on is going to have most of it's painting done whilst it's in about 6-8 parts, one of my friends did a Knight in about 6 parts, and my brother is currently working on an Admech tech guy (I think it is) in about 3 parts.

When I finally do my Greater Brass Scorpions I'm going to do it was main body and legs, with all the plates separate.

Soldato
*points at Tau Fire Warriors*

Aye, the Lord of Skulls I'm very slowly working on is going to have most of it's painting done whilst it's in about 6-8 parts, one of my friends did a Knight in about 6 parts, and my brother is currently working on an Admech tech guy (I think it is) in about 3 parts.

When I finally do my Greater Brass Scorpions I'm going to do it was main body and legs, with all the plates separate.

I've just started building my first Knight and it looks like the best way to paint it is to build everything up but leave all the armor panels off. Does mean it's going to be a bit of a pain individually spraying each armour piece but will be worth it. Sounds like the brass scorpion is going to be trickier, how many panels does that have?

Commissario
I can't remember how many panels, but it's something like 20+ in total as there are the ones on the body/tail and legs.
I've got a fairly good idea of how I'm going to build and paint it (building will include making a frame to support it in transit and construction*), but it's not going to be for a long time :/
I'm lucky to do 10-15 minutes model work a day at the moment.

IIRC my friend basically sprayed the knight frame with metal, then worked up from there (it was a couple of years back I think).

*I've had "fun" with things like some of the Tau suits from FW, and watched a friend struggle with his Brass Scorpion as he tried to assemble the legs and hold them in place whilst it was sat on books/model bricks, I'm thinking a basic plywood frame, or threaded rods with a topper to support the weight and give points where I can anchor the leg parts to whilst the glue sets (and take the weight if I take it anywhere by car so the legs aren't supporting when it's getting bounced around).

Man of Honour
Super excited to play my first real game at a club tomorrow - here’s 1,497 points of Nitefly’s unfinished and thus far undefeated army \o/

I thought long and hard at what to pick and I get a whopping 11 command points to spend - happy days.

BgnCQeD.jpg

The ‘ghost crawler’ at the back is the most offensive for sure, but there’s plenty of ‘drying bases’ and unfinished transfers / details to sort at a later date. Was really, really pleased at some of my attempts at eyes though - see below.

O6ov36B.jpg

Wish me luck :D

Man of Honour
Played this afternoon and had a great time - after being reminded of the rules a whole bunch of times I ended up winning (on the relic mission). Opponent was very friendly and didn’t mind being patient with me and helping me out. All in all a very positive experience! Can’t wait to play again :)

Soldato
Glad you had fun.

I haven't picked up a brush in getting on a month if not longer. Been so busy with work and stuff going on in and around the home that when I get spare time I'm so bushed I can't even think about painting. :(

Man of Honour
Glad you had fun.

I haven't picked up a brush in getting on a month if not longer. Been so busy with work and stuff going on in and around the home that when I get spare time I'm so bushed I can't even think about painting. :(
I was rather encouraged that the chap I played (whom had 15 games of 8ths under his belt and had been playing for over 10 years) played with a primed but unpainted army (he was repainting them) - many other players were playing with unprimed models too. I don’t think many people care too much, which is encouraging as it was taking sooooooo, soooooo long to paint everything. In short, I’ll be opting to play with models just primed, for sure.

Soldato
Every time I see this thread I want to get into the modeling and painting side of things, something like a tyranid army. I'm not sure my patience is up to the job though! Maybe even chaos instead.

Man of Honour
A few snaps from my most recent game.

1JNl6KL.jpg

ym3uaHw.jpg

ES45sBl.jpg

Soooo many imperial guard... they swamped me, only had one model left at the end. Very close match, lost due to a bloomin’ line breaker rule I was unaware of until the match ended and it was explained to me - noooo! :)

Really going to mix it up with my next match... will be swapping most of my troops out.

Edit - the one model left was Bjorn, the dreadnaught. So stupidly overpowered in close combat... think I did 19 damage to my opponents HQ guardsman in one turn. Liquified!

Last edited:
Soldato
I went Half's with poomie off hear for the wh40k base box and took all the death guard.

Instead of just sticking them together decided to start converting them. Changing the Lord of Contaigan a fair bit and modding a death guard to be an icon bearer.

I now have 16 marines, 20 walkers, lord and sorcerer to paint and then a tank and desthshroud when purchased to take the army to 1k. Too much! :p

Commissario
Nitefly that looks like a really nicely laid out table, with the models and scenery nicely done.
Is that a realm of battle table or something else?

We really need to finish our realm of battle table, we got to this point in about 2014 and then nothing :( (I even got as far as building a storage rack under one of the benches in the garage for our two sets).
table29.jpg

We also need to get on with painting the scenery, of which we've ended up with loads (trenchline, tau floating wall/gun thing, imperial sector, 2x armageddon sets, loads of smaller bits).

I've finally got properly started on my current khorne builds, I managed to get 90 minutes in with the airbrush a couple of days ago (mephiston red air thins down fairly well at 3:1 paint/vallejo thinner for a .35mm needle), so I managed to do this little lot, although I may go over them again with a darker red (the joy of airbrushing, it's fast to redo if you're not happy:)).
I'm quite happy with the progress so far as it's been about 3 yeas since I last did any real model work.
bloodforthepaintgod.jpg

I'm holding off doing more spraying until I get new filters for my mask, as I realised they expired nearly 3 years ago :eek:
I'm probably over cautious given the extractor and the fact it's acrylic via an airbrush rather than enamel or cellulose etc, but I also use it for spray can undercoats.

I have to paint:
Lord of Skulls (AKA the Khornemower)
3x Bloodcrushers
Skull Cannon
and 3x Flamers (I'm going to try some fancy colour change paints for that, probably burning gold, nebular copper or red goblin depending on what looks best on my test)

by late July for a weekend of gaming at a friends house.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Werewolf no idea! It’s just one of the tables they have at a local club which is based in a warehouse. All the terrain is movable and can be swapped in and out for other bits. £3.50 a booking. Dozens of tables, want to try the ice world one next :)

Here’s my game on the volcano base.

128YUJT.jpg

KiZV16A.jpg

Good times.

I saw there’s a forge world kit that lets you covert the Khorne-mower to a standing model, if that appeals!

My B-squad army requires me to build 2 dreadnaughts, 2 warglaives and a set of terminators. Hurrrrghn!

Back
Top Bottom