***Han Solo movie***

Caporegime
Heard about the "cameo"

Not really sure what the point of having Darth Maul was, yes they're showing he's alive (the cg series confirmed that ages ago), but are they hinting he might reappear at some point? Or did they just put him in as a nod to the prequels and aren't going to do anything with the character??

Caporegime
One thing these new films do wrong in my opinion is the aliens.
They pride themselves in making anamatronics and puppets but their actual design to me is just ****. So over the top.

Associate
Bi
Heard about the "cameo"

Not really sure what the point of having Darth Maul was, yes they're showing he's alive (the cg series confirmed that ages ago), but are they hinting he might reappear at some point? Or did they just put him in as a nod to the prequels and aren't going to do anything with the character??

The hardest part for me, is at what time frame is the Solo movie set?
It's obviously after "The Revenge of the Sith" but before "Rogue One" and estimates have it at 10-13 BBY.
This is going to annoy me.

Personally for me the best part of Darth Maul's Cameo is the look on Kira's face, the look of fear and dread, as she realises she has to work with that monster going forward.
This is partly one of the big reasons why I'd love another movie to see where Kira + Han characters will end up.
Perhaps they'll conceive a little Rey of light in the galaxy...

As for the reason for including Maul, I'd have to suggest its to show his position of power.
As the head off all major crime syndicates and cartels. During the Clone Wars he used the Mandalorians, in a power play against Chancellor Palatine. Again at the beginning and during the reign of the Empire he would seek power and influence, with the potential view to challenge Palatine or Vader.

Soldato
I saw it today and perhaps I was not in the mood but I never got into it at all.

There were some great scenes for those who relate to Star Wars such as how han and chewie met

I think it’s once I would rather watch at home in my own time one evening

Cinema was a third full

Soldato
Saw it last night at 7pm. Honestly there must have been no more than 20 people in the cinema. Screen 1 too.

It was ok. Felt quite cheap imo, almost like a TV movie, totally lacking in spectacle I felt. I really didn't have any empathy for any of the characters and didn't care if anyone died.

Liked the cameo at the end but a bit confused by the timelines??

Rogue One deffo the best of the new bunch still, and sadly, for me, this is the worst of all the SW movies.
Bi

The hardest part for me, is at what time frame is the Solo movie set?
It's obviously after "The Revenge of the Sith" but before "Rogue One" and estimates have it at 10-13 BBY.
This is going to annoy me.

Personally for me the best part of Darth Maul's Cameo is the look on Kira's face, the look of fear and dread, as she realises she has to work with that monster going forward.
This is partly one of the big reasons why I'd love another movie to see where Kira + Han characters will end up.
Perhaps they'll conceive a little Rey of light in the galaxy...

As for the reason for including Maul, I'd have to suggest its to show his position of power.
As the head off all major crime syndicates and cartels. During the Clone Wars he used the Mandalorians, in a power play against Chancellor Palatine. Again at the beginning and during the reign of the Empire he would seek power and influence, with the potential view to challenge Palatine or Vader.
it is set roughly 9 years before A New Hope.
@

Soldato
Went to see it today. Was mint I really enjoyed it and imo is far better than FA or TLJ. It's about as good as rogue one. Seems like the best starwars films since Disney took over is the standalone stories instead of the continuation of the old story plots.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Seems like the best starwars films since Disney took over is the standalone stories instead of the continuation of the old story plots.

It's the other way round, both Rogue One and Solo work strictly within OT's plot story lines and tying to them ("How I met your Chewie", "Lando", "The Kessel Run", "Many died to bring us those plans" etc) - where Disney fails is trying to diverge from old story plots, coming up with their own version of how the Force works and the laws of SW universe in TFA and TLJ (destroying OT heroes, breaking canon, being disrespectful to established "physics of things").

Caporegime
Heard about the "cameo"

It's setting up the Obi Wan movie. Chances are it's going to detail what he did between the end of ROTS and ANH which was namely dealing with Darth Maul once and for all.

Associate
They aren't because Disney don't do droid sex scenes :p.

Saw Solo today with my daughter, going again in the week to take my son when he feels up to it. We both really enjoyed it, the main cast fit their characters well and I would be happy to see more of Solo's life pre-New Hope.

Glad I wasn't the only thrown by the spoilered cameo and timeline.

I expected the screen to be a bit more packed, especially as the booking system said seats were taken that no one ended up sat in. It was probably about a quarter full at best, although was lunchtime and they have allocated a fair few screens to it (Vue, Bristol Cribbs).

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Surprised the film is tanking in box office takings. It would be a travesty if it flops and ends the series. :(

Associate
Surprised the film is tanking in box office takings. It would be a travesty if it flops and ends the series. :(

Not surprised it's tanking here.

Multitude of reasons (not all, but my immediate thoughts):-
  • It was up against Cable Thanos/Deadpool in a small time frame. Budget for films is already out for most families who went to those.
  • The Last Jedi backlash. Doesn't matter whether Last Jedi was good or not, or you enjoyed it or not. You don't go trolling your "fanboy" fans ala RJ and co. Because those "fanboys" are now "fan fathers" (fathers with jobs and money and heading up a family, etc), and if they're upset and not going, guess what, the rest of the family won't be going either. No viewers = no box office.
  • Personally, I just don't think there's anything about the mystery of Solo that I "want" to know. Especially if all you're going to do is shoehorn everything in "just so" you have an "origin" for it. Which sounds like they did from spoilers I read.
Personally, I feel for the actors in Solo. Just hope they can weather it out to other pastures.

Caporegime
Just out of seeing this with my 16 year old son. Both enjoyed it, was pretty quiet though, a dozen people. Could be the first financial Star Wars flop? Or one that doesn't make a lot of coin though.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Not surprised it's tanking here
  • The Last Jedi backlash. Doesn't matter whether Last Jedi was good or not, or you enjoyed it or not. You don't go trolling your "fanboy" fans ala RJ and co. Because those "fanboys" are now "fan fathers" (fathers with jobs and money and heading up a family, etc), and if they're upset and not going, guess what, the rest of the family won't be going either. No viewers = no box office.
  • There is an active #BoycottSolo campaign all around the globe during opening weekend to force Disney's hand and remove Kennedy from overseeing SW. There is no SW without fans and going against fans has consequences. I support this agenda (in spirit).

Caporegime
Yeah but that's a tiny tiny minority of internet nerds..

Reality is that people weren't really looking forward to the movie, and even though reviews have been better than expected it was never going to have the hype of the December star wars releases (TFA, Rogue One, TLJ)

The past 3 years I made a trip down to London to watch star wars on laser projected IMAX but this one I'm going to see tomorrow at my local cinema.

Caporegime

I'm not so much. The release timing was bad for it - squeezed between big hitters Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2 - and too close to the last Star Wars release. Even a great Star Wars film would struggle in those circumstances.

It doesn't help that it's a fairly ordinary film. Apart from the script problems, the loss of a Williams soundtrack really hurt it, and I wonder why they dropped the signature Star Wars screen wipes?

Back
Top Bottom