Matx decision woes

Associate
I've recently moved house and my setup is just too big to fit comfortably in my room. It has a pitched ceiling so a normal ATX case just wont fit nicely. My PC could do with a bit of an upgrade anyway so I've decided to go with a micro ATX setup. However there are a couple of stipulations. I currently have a 170mm PSU plus the connectors and a 305mm graphics card. These both must fit in the case as I am not changing them. I also need to fit 2 SSDs and 2 normal HHDs.
It would also be great if it had decent thermals. I absolutlely love the look of the raijintek styx but upon further reading it doesn't look like the PSU and graphics card will fit in together.
I'm ideally looking for the smallest case possible that fits these critera. I dont want a case more than 35ish cm in height. Width and length not so much of an isse, though the smaller the better. Must also be of good build quality and be aesthetically pleasing, not a silly mega gamer looking case. Brushed /anodized aluminium would be great but it's probably asking too much. I also looked at the define C mini. Fits the criteria but its just gonna be too tall.

Anyone got any suggestions? Budget ideally no more than about £80.

Associate
OP
The P6 looks great actually, but according to the specs my PSU is too big. Max 160mm. Again the in win looks great too but only has support for one 3.5" HDD :(

Caporegime
Also consider a small ATX case as I had a nightmare trying to find a suitable mITX case due to my psu (165mm) and gfx card height (145mm) with good airflow. I ended up going with a mATX one and it's a great case (InWin 301) :)

Soldato
You could always rest one HDD in the bottom off the case and hook/loop tack it down to free yourself up from the 2 hdd requirement(bring it down to 1), or consider housing one in a 5.25 hotswap rack(simply forego using it as a hotswap solution, but it's a nice convenience for later). The PSU and GPU sizes are going to narrow your options already.

Associate
I use a Coolermaster Silencio 352, and its spot on for the price. Currently debating putting a window in, and making a PSU shroud to suit but it's a brilliantly flexible case :)

Soldato
The P6 looks great actually, but according to the specs my PSU is too big. Max 160mm.

I think in this instance Antec may be a victim of something fairly unique to some of their new cases along with an oversight when it came to writing up the specs for their website and retailers - that you can actually slide the HDD cage further forward to the front of the case, gaining a few more cm and leaving more room for the PSU. Reckon there's a fair chance a 170mm PSU will fit, and that the stated 160mm is for the HDD cage's default position. Usually the measurements for such things are for "out of the box" positions. In any case, Antec may have been better served to avoid confusion by listing both measurements and making it absolutely clear.

MmWe2Ot.png

Associate
I use the thermaltake v21 for my Matx build, a little bigger than I thought it would have been from the pictures but it’s good for me plenty space for everything as well

Caporegime
I think in this instance Antec may be a victim of something fairly unique to some of their new cases along with an oversight when it came to writing up the specs for their website and retailers - that you can actually slide the HDD cage further forward to the front of the case, gaining a few more cm and leaving more room for the PSU. Reckon there's a fair chance a 170mm PSU will fit, and that the stated 160mm is for the HDD cage's default position. Usually the measurements for such things are for "out of the box" positions. In any case, Antec may have been better served to avoid confusion by listing both measurements and making it absolutely clear.

MmWe2Ot.png

@Ace Modder may be able to confirm this info? Would be useful to know for all prospective P6 buyers :)

Back
Top Bottom