Powerline or 5GHz Wi-fi for gaming?

Soldato
So I just got a new Virgin install and the living room at my new build is the only damn room that doesnt have RJ45 connections (who plans this stuff?!!).

Anyway, I need to either game on 5GHz Wi-Fi or decent powerline adapters. I've done some searching and there is no real definitive answer so can anyone shed some light on the best approach?

No. I cannot cable.

Thanks

Soldato
Power line - WiFi on the Superhub is dire. I've tried, but because my flat is a refurbished old building, wiring is terrible so I went with a decent mesh network. Use cable direct to the mesh network and I get 20ms extra ping compared to direct to router, and similar DL speed.

Powerline should see (in a new build especially) little to no latency increase.

Associate
Definitely go with powerline over wifi. I got powerlines as I was seeing on Destiny no damage being done by my shots , then I would die and then on killscreen see the enemies healthbar start to drop - 10 seconds later killedfeed would show i got the kill (which would do little to calm my rage lol). That was on PS4 wifi which isn't the greatest, but when I moved my PC into the same room even with a pretty decent asus pcie wifi 5ghz card with 3 antenna I was seeing similar issues. Shots just not registering, that couldn't be explained away by poor aim or panicking in the moment, plugged the PC into the powerlines and all was better. On games with not great netcode powerline is just a far more consistent experience for me than wifi ever was.

Soldato
Do you have a Virgin connection in the living room for the TV?

Could you use their cable route to add a network cable?
I can't cable. TV device and router right next to eachother.

I think what he meant was ‘can you pull a second cable through the hole the Virgin one comes in through?’

Because of my work I often have to rent a flat or house for 3-12 months and I’ve never had a landlord yet state that I couldn’t run a cable as long as I either made any damage good after it was removed or that I did it properly so it was an additional feature that either added value to the property or, at least, did not detract from it.

A cable is ALWAYS the best way to do anything on a network.

Soldato
OP
I think what he meant was ‘can you pull a second cable through the hole the Virgin one comes in through?’

Ahh I see, unfortunately not. He did not pull a cable through he piggy backed onto the aerial feed until he found the living room. Then he put the Virgin line onto that and plugged the gear in the living room.

Soldato
Ahh I see, unfortunately not. He did not pull a cable through he piggy backed onto the aerial feed until he found the living room. Then he put the Virgin line onto that and plugged the gear in the living room.

You’re a bit stuffed then. I’ve got LOADS of powerline adaptors lying about if you want to try that out. Send me a trust e-mail if you’d like a couple before you actually buy anything.

Soldato
OP
You’re a bit stuffed then. I’ve got LOADS of powerline adaptors lying about if you want to try that out. Send me a trust e-mail if you’d like a couple before you actually buy anything.

Thanks for the offer! Very nice of you!

I just ordered a set to play with. If they don't work out for gaming i'll use them anyway as I don't think the top floor gets a good wifi signal so may put powerline + router up there.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom