Windows 7 install problem

Soldato
Using a genuine windows 7 ultimate disk, when I try to install windows I get an error saying ‘A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing’.

I get the same message when trying to install via USB too.

Never had this before when installing windows.

Any tips?

I have set USB 3.0 to Disabled and set USB ports to Auto but no good so far.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z370 gaming 7.

Soldato
What are you trying to install w7 on too? Is it a normal ssd, is it a raid or something else? Sometimes w7 needs drivers to be able to find the drive you need to install it on as it doesn't have it built in to the os.

You could always try w10 up to that stage and see if it finds the drive w7 cannot find

Associate
I have Windows 7 on my Gigabyte/Ryzen set up & install was a mare because of this kind of stuff.
IF it is an AHCI incompatibility, disabling AHCI mode for the disk controller in BIOS may help according to MS.
But first I would download "Windows USB Installation (version B17.1116.1 for your board)" Tool which Gigabyte say we should install BEFORE attempting to install Windows 7 (they hide the instruction to install this first on the specification page for some reason) but the download itself is here
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl

When I did my Windows 7 install I was unaware of the USB incompatibility problems & ended up having to use an old ps2 mouse to get it to do anything.

Soldato
OP
Cheers both, I lost patience and installed windows 10 instead, it installed first time and in 2-3 minutes thanks to my new M.2 drive. :)

Soldato
Sorry to bumb this thread but I am having the same issue as the OP. Just finished my new Ryzen 2600 build with a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 board. Even if I plug in my internal bluray I get the message above when trying to install win7. Even tried this suggestion and it didn't work - How to install windows 7 with only USB 3 ports. Also tried changing settings in BIOS without any success. I took a picture but it is similar to OP's so you can look at that for exact information when trying the installation. :p

I have Windows 7 on my Gigabyte/Ryzen set up & install was a mare because of this kind of stuff.
IF it is an AHCI incompatibility, disabling AHCI mode for the disk controller in BIOS may help according to MS.
But first I would download "Windows USB Installation (version B17.1116.1 for your board)" Tool which Gigabyte say we should install BEFORE attempting to install Windows 7 (they hide the instruction to install this first on the specification page for some reason) but the download itself is here
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl

When I did my Windows 7 install I was unaware of the USB incompatibility problems & ended up having to use an old ps2 mouse to get it to do anything.

How do you install the USB drivers before installing Windows 7 ??

I did try Win 10 through USB stick and that works fine, I quit before installing it though, but it getting past the above screen when trying win7. Can you install win 10, then install the mother board stuff and then downgrade to win 7 ?? I prefer win 7 since not liking 10, having it on my laptop and 2nd PC and just find it "blotware" ish. So any suggestions on how to get win7 installed would be greatly appreciated !!

Soldato
I'm pretty sure baking the drivers in to the boot/install.wim file is the only way to go. Did you make sure to grab the drivers specific to your board and not the ones on that instruction page?

Soldato
Not being funny but you really need to look at moving to 10, I know you might not prefer it but by all means use hokey third party tools to make it look like 7 and strip out the inbuilt functionality but 7 is just not well supported on modern hardware and its out of support in 18 months time.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure baking the drivers in to the boot/install.wim file is the only way to go. Did you make sure to grab the drivers specific to your board and not the ones on that instruction page?

Yes, I used the ones from AMD's site for my mother board.

Not being funny but you really need to look at moving to 10, I know you might not prefer it but by all means use hokey third party tools to make it look like 7 and strip out the inbuilt functionality but 7 is just not well supported on modern hardware and its out of support in 18 months time.

Yeah I know, one day I have to but if I can avoid it for a while longer I prefer that.

I actually managed to install win 7 finally, so I WILL avoid Win 10 for a while longer !! :p Had to be a bit cheeky though and use another manufactures tool to make it work. The Windows USB Installation Tool from Gigabyte themselves did not manage to burn the USB drivers into the Win7 USB Installation ISO. But the Asrock Windows 7 USB Patcher sorted it out just fine (once at their site, have to use drop down menu to pick Win7 64 Bit, and then the patcher is at bottom). I did switch the drivers to the ones from Gigabyte though, not sure if it was needed but thought I do that, to be on the safe side.

Once the installation was sorted, I could not use the mouse though (USB input mouse, and USB drivers was not working once win7 was running after installation, not quiet sure why though. :confused: ). To solve that I had to use my old internal sata DVD player as can be seen in the picture.

oTjs1HI.jpg

No room for it due to having a 360 Radiator at the front so had to connect it that way, it worked though ! :p

By doing that I could access the Gigabyte sotware disc for the mother board, then opening it and tabbing my way around until I could find the AMD Chipset Drivers, pathway was folder Chipset then Bristol folder. There after run the setup and it installed all the needed drivers and now the USB ports working and so does the mouse. :D Tomorrow will be less fun by installing more drives and get all programs up and running that I had on my old PC. :p Edit: Ohh and I forgot, have to do all the windows updates too. :(

But for now I am well chuffed though !!

1JY3MVx.gif

Edit 2: Thought I run the Windows Updater to see what needed to b done. I got a small shock though ! :eek: :p

t6Zc02R.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom