Poll: Poll: Do you store glasses and mugs rim down or rim up?

Do you store glasses and cups rim up or down.

• Rim up

Votes: 195 57.7%
  • Rim down

Votes: 103 30.5%
  • Who cares

Votes: 40 11.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Up here too. We have about 5x the amount of mugs and glasses than we need, the beauty of up is that the mugs that don’t use daily can have other bits that also don’t get get used like egg cups and shot glasses tucked inside.

Man of Honour
Because the part of the glass you drink from is more hygienic when pressed against a shelf that probably hasn’t been washed for months? :p

this

If its something that's not been used in a while I'll give it a quick rinse, however most glasses/mugs are used on a weekly basis so its unlikely things like dust will have a chance to build up.

Man of Honour
Don't know about you, but we keep ours clean.

:)

Clean and sterile are very different things. You may keep your shelves clean (without obvious dirt) but they will not be sterile (free of germs).

How often do you clean your shelves? Really clean them, i.e. take everything off the shelves, clean them thoroughly, dry them and put everything back? Do you use an effective sterilising agent each time?

I doubt if it really matters. I'd be very surprised if rim orientation is a significant factor in food poisoning. But which is more hygienic isn't obvious.

rim up because trapping the air inside a glass/mug isn't good. the treated surface will naturally give off gases and you're trapping them in the mug. i also use my mugs/glasses often enough that the max time they are sat rim up are a week, but that's the max, often far less.

however with that said, they are rim down in the dishwasher, and i also find i often use the dishwasher as a cupboard.

Caporegime
OP
rim up because trapping the air inside a glass/mug isn't good. the treated surface will naturally give off gases and you're trapping them in the mug.
Wow, I've never heard that one before! Do those trapped gases given off by the inert glass remain trapped as they travel from the cupboard to the work surface, and on to your mouth?

Fairly sure the answer is no!

Man of Honour
Wow, I've never heard that one before! Do those trapped gases given off by the inert glass remain trapped as they travel from the cupboard to the work surface, and on to your mouth?

Fairly sure the answer is no!

In fairness, they referred to "treated surface", not "inert glass". Are the surfaces of glass drinking vessels treated? The surfaces of mugs are - plain pottery is porous - but I don't know about glassware. Then the question would be if there's any outgassing from the treated surfaces. There have been safety issues with some glazes in the past, so it's not an entirely implausible idea.

Soldato
Used to be rim down until being informed it was utterly unhygienic to do so by a very smart looking person in a white lab coat on TV.

trapped gases given off by the inert glass

the gasses are given off the cupboard shelf material and the dirt particles that are on the shelf which you create a seal around with the glass.

That's why I always bleach my surfaces regularly, so that when the glass rim lies on the bleached surface, a small amount will transfer to the glass and kill any bacteria, and then onto my lips

Soldato
When I used to be a bachelor.....Cups and glasses would just get used straight from the dishwasher... Put in the sink afterwards until either dishwasher empty or sink and draining board full......Then they would go back into the "magic" Cupboard and come out clean again.......

Proper kitchen cupboards were for crisps, bread and tools....

Back
Top Bottom