Upgrade advice dual HDD + SSD

Associate
newbie who needs some advice

would it be possible to install an SSD alongside my existing HDD
what I want is to get a 128gb SSD and have this as my boot drive (guessing I'd have to reinstall all the programs onto this drive so they all boot from it)

but I wanted to know if something like this was possible and how easy it is to do.
I know some of the new systems seem to have a dual setup but wasn't sure if they've been designed that way and how simple it would be to do this myself

any advice, links etc that can be given would be greatly appreciated

Don
How big is your existing hard drive (or how much is in use on it)?

You can use software such as Macrium Reflect to copy your existing hard drive to your new SSD (shrinking the existing partitions etc to fit, providing they use less space than your new ssd), meaning you don't have to reinstall anything and can then just format the hard drive and use if for data etc.

Associate
OP
i have a 2tb hard drive and about 95% is free
i'mtrying to store/use an external so that the main system can run smoother and not be weighed down by lots of "stuff"

Associate
Do a disk clean, in the advanced bit remove all restore points, then remove all prev versions of windows + whatever they have taking up space that they let you delete. Basically get rid stuff thats taking up space to shrink the image as much as you can.
Then use the disk migration tool you can download on the ssd manufacturer site to copy the filesystem to the new disk. When done pop out the old disk and it'll boot the ssd. If keeping the old disk in there make sure you set the BIOS to boot from the SSD.

Soldato
My Google foo tells me this is an X51 R2 - looking at pics of the board it definitely has 3 SATA ports (1 in use by exisiting HDD, 1 for Optical drive - so luckily 1 free!), and a further google returns this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fg28qY_Xbo

So you'll need a short SATA cable, any 2.5" SATA SSD you like (Crucial MX500 and Samsung 850 Evo are good quality) and little double sided tape from the look of the video - I would suggest going for 250GB drive or more, and then just leave files on the HDD, and put Windows and your most played games and used apps on the SSD.

Cheapest 120 GB drives on OcUK are about £30, cheapsest 250 GB are about £50

Associate
OP
My Google foo tells me this is an X51 R2 - looking at pics of the board it definitely has 3 SATA ports (1 in use by exisiting HDD, 1 for Optical drive - so luckily 1 free!), and a further google returns this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fg28qY_Xbo

So you'll need a short SATA cable, any 2.5" SATA SSD you like (Crucial MX500 and Samsung 850 Evo are good quality) and little double sided tape from the look of the video - I would suggest going for 250GB drive or more, and then just leave files on the HDD, and put Windows and your most played games and used apps on the SSD.

Cheapest 120 GB drives on OcUK are about £30, cheapsest 250 GB are about £50

thank you for this looking at the youtube video it seems that the drive is velcroed onto the side of the DVD drive case.
do you think it would be possible to mount the drive on a bracket and add it in that way?
or would i need to do something similar to what was done in the youtube video?

Associate
OP
ok thank you very much
looks like I need to get the drive a combined Molex cable and a SATA cable (and velcro)

do you know if I need any specific driver software to do this (apart from the Macrium Reflect as stated above to copy the drive)

Associate
I've always preferred a fresh install of windows over copying a drive.

I found a middle ground - make a clean image with drivers installed & use it to restore a known good state later.

Associate
OP
I have just put my SSD in my computer and when I try and use the Macrium Reflect to copy over I get a message that there is insufficient space.

Which of the options on the clone drive do I need to select to have the SSD have the OS so I can use it as the boot drive for my computer?

Idea was to have it as the OS boot and have Microsoft office and a few programs on it

bLPnGy

https://ibb.co/bLPnGy

Back
Top Bottom