Missing files on unplugged drive

Associate
Hi, I unplugged an internal storage drive containing 700gb of data whilst tidying case.

When I plugged it back in, the computer is showing it as a blank drive.

2rgdd6w.jpg

Any idea what has happened to the data? I never formatted anything? Appreciate any help as I have lost a lot of stuff.
Thanks

Associate
I know this helps little now but system restore is not a backup, it protects core operating system files rather than user files on a separate disk. As above, try Recuva before doing anything else.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, I ran Recuva and it returned thousands of files scattered to the wind, it's a shame it doesn't return them as the full programs.

I recovered a lot of photos, will I still be able to run chkdsk on the drive if I have put photos on it and get all my other stuff back?

Associate
Personally I'd not run chkdsk until you have backed up the files you've recovered so far. Once those files are safe, then definitely worth proceeding with the chkdsk.

Associate
I think you've taken the best approach, the odds of recovering everything are far from certain. Running chkdsk before Recuva may have made even more files unrecoverable. It's generally best to run a recovery tool prior to making ANY changes that will write to the disk.

I appreciate this is an odd situation in that the disk appears otherwise fine, but unfortunately this highlights why a robust backup strategy is required for anything you'd rather not lose.

APM

APM

Associate
Do you have access to a linux system?

If yes plug it in and see what you get,if not maybe try running ubuntu from a usb stick.

Associate
OP
I think you've taken the best approach, the odds of recovering everything are far from certain. Running chkdsk before Recuva may have made even more files unrecoverable. It's generally best to run a recovery tool prior to making ANY changes that will write to the disk.

I appreciate this is an odd situation in that the disk appears otherwise fine, but unfortunately this highlights why a robust backup strategy is required for anything you'd rather not lose.

Somebody kindly provided me with some good recovery software last night but alas it only yielded about 1gb of nothing (out of 800gb of data). One thing listed in the result was indeed chkdsk so I think you are right.

Back
Top Bottom