Headphone Amp for HD650s

Associate
I have been using my AV receiver (currently a denon 2300) as an amp for my HD 650s for a few years I am now wondering if they would have more to offer with a true headphone amp.

So i suppose I have two questions for you all: -
  • Would a dedicated amp provided improved sound above my AV receiver?
  • What would be the cost of entry be to see an improvement?
Thanks.

Man of Honour
HD600 series scales well with the amplifier used - look for something that has a decent amount of voltage output/voltage swing as they don't need much current but do need reasonably good capabilities to "drive" voltage.

A lot of people like tube or hybrid tube amps to drive those headphones - personally I ended up going the DIY route as I never found anything off the shelf I was 100% happy with for them as most amplifiers are designed to drive a wide range of headphones and not the 600 series specifically.

Associate
OP
Having never really looked at headphone amps I didn't know DIY is even an option.
I would prefer an off the shelf option even if it is not "perfect" i would be willing to pay a little more for a tube amp if that was the better option as they also look interesting when the tubes are visible.

Associate
OP
I will be needing a DAC, having never looked beyond AV receivers I didn't know they where general separate things that element AMP/DAC looks very interesting.

Soldato
I'd stretch the budget if you want a dac as well. Go chord mojo.

Although if you want seperates I just happen to have a graham slee srg11 headphone amp with psu1 power supply and an arcam irdac v1 available. About to go on sale

£450 for both. The headphone amp has an upgrade path available as well.

Back
Top Bottom