Fantastic thunderstorm in Kent

Soldato
We have had another few rumbles this evening - nothing like they had down south I am glad to say.

It was getting close so I unplugged both PC's

Does anyone else do this - years ago on my first PC I got home and it didn't work online - Got PC World out and it was modem card - we had a surge and it fried it - fortunately they replaced it for free and ever since then if it looks like it's going to be a hum dinger I unplug everything - PC -TV the lot.

My job involved following thunder storms repairing damage to cable that had been struck - If you see what damage a strike can do then I think everyone would unplug - I have seen all power sockets in a house blown out of wall - main power and telephone cables with sever damage - faulting a lightning strike is a total PITA - especially over head stuff.

Man of Honour
If it is particularly bad I unplug some of my main systems - a lot of stuff is running through UPSes so I hope for the best but they are no guarantee against a local strike.

Soldato
Yeah I'm watching that storm out over the Chilterns from West London - looks awesome flashing away but can't hear anything - Like a silent movie!

Shame as it seems to be heading away eastwards now ...

Soldato
It was getting close so I unplugged both PC's

Does anyone else do this - years ago on my first PC I got home and it didn't work online - Got PC World out and it was modem card - we had a surge and it fried it - fortunately they replaced it for free and ever since then if it looks like it's going to be a hum dinger I unplug everything - PC -TV the lot.

Many years ago one of my neighbors house was struck.

You would not believe the amount of damage it caused!

The thunderbolt basically hit a tree in the garden. Unfortunately the cable for the phone ran through the tree so the charge jumped to that and traveled along it to the house.

My neighbors Son was actually underneath this when it happened just 10ft over his head. Definitely a fresh underwear moment!

It then went all round the cast iron guttering and blew it all off the house.

It got into the wiring and totally fried it, including blowing the fuse-box off the wall

And it got into the plumbing and ripped all the pipes out of the walls! (As with the guttering I guess it was magnitostriction)

Ya don't want to get struck. Really you don't....!

Soldato

The thunderbolt basically hit a tree in the garden. Unfortunately the cable for the phone ran through the tree so the charge jumped to that and traveled along it to the house.

My neighbors Son was actually underneath this when it happened just 10ft over his head. Definitely a fresh underwear moment!

It got into the wiring and totally fried it, including blowing the fuse-box off the wall

And it got into the plumbing and ripped all the pipes out of the walls! (As with the guttering I guess it was magnitostriction)

Shocking! ;)

Caporegime

I had a cousin who was struck twice, he was basically unkillable, until he deliberately killed himself.

Soldato
Pretty spectacular in Birmingham! Managed to get to bournville and back via selly oak before the worst of it struck. Sounds like we would have been swimming through selly oak at certain points of the evening.
Managed to do a bit of gardening in the afternoon... my new bedding plants are looking a bit sorry for themselves after the enormous hailstones battered them!

Soldato
24edacaaa5576c520aa325a7cf30a5c5-png.jpg
pretty bad in northampton .. some huge strikes and torrential rain . quite abit of the town got flooded
24edacaaa5576c520aa325a7cf30a5c5

Back
Top Bottom