Spec me a saloon

Associate
ive got a 2006 micra that ive never looked after but has served me well for the last 5 years or so of moving around london and weekend trips away with mates.

In the last year ive bought a flat and finally think its time to get my first ‘nice’ car.

I known nothing about cars but know what I like, car will be used for long journeys mainly on the weekends so comfort is a must and super reliable, but also want something ‘nice’.

Im thinking of spending up to 15k on something 3 or so years old.

My ideal car would be a volvo s90 but theyre not old enough to have come down in price that far, and i havent read good things about the s80.

Other options seem to be an a5 or a c class?

Man of Honour
An A5 isn't a saloon.

Most sub 3 year old prestige saloons for under 15k are going to be fairly crap examples.

You'd be better off with something with a less impressive badge.

Associate
OP
I guess 3 years was an arbitrary number. Not fussed about modern tech..

Did consider buying new but also not a huge fan of being tied to monthly payments

mjt

mjt

Soldato
What's your annual mileage? You could get a new model Skoda Superb for £15k; most sensible purchase probably.

If that's too big, an Octavia or a Golf. £15k will get you a 1.4 with all the bells and whistles.

Associate
If you're in London just buy something cool like an VW UP it'll be fine for the odd trip, and call Enterprise when you want something decent (it's much cheaper that way!).

Associate
OP
If you're in London just buy something cool like an VW UP it'll be fine for the odd trip, and call Enterprise when you want something decent (it's much cheaper that way!).
Having driven an up and a fiat 500 recently i definitely dont want something like that.

Soldato
You could get a 3-4 yr old BMW 3 or 4 series for 15-20k (depending on things like engine and trim).
I just got a lovely 335 for ~£19k. ~30000 miles.

Get a used approved.

Soldato
Are you expecting it to last 5 years like your Micra?

Super reliable

Lexus IS or GS

Used approved GS250 for £16k. I'm sure it will be reliable too. Not fast , but comfortable and looks pretty cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
The point is that good 3 year old ones cost more. So you'll be looking at cars older than his requirement at this budget.

If he didn't mind a 4 year old one I bet he could get a good one. You just have to be prepared to look around and look hard. Sometimes make compromises on spec you want.

Man of Honour
I think you'll need to push to 5-6 years old before you start being able to avoid the base spec rubbish and tatty ex fleet stuff.

Which will then start to cause him issues with his total reliability requirement.

Soldato
I think you'll need to push to 5-6 years old before you start being able to avoid the base spec rubbish and tatty ex fleet stuff.

Which will then start to cause him issues with his total reliability requirement.

I can see your point but any car can have it's issue. It's not always dependent on age.

Spec wise yes, maybe he will have to spend more for what he wants but then like I mentioned before you have to make the compromise. .

I'm not disagreeing with you in your opinion, but I do feel if he looked and luck played a part he could bag a car he'd be happy with for around that sum of money within his requirements. It just depends how impatient he is and if he's prepared to wait for the right one to come along.

Back
Top Bottom