Poll: Monaco Grand Prix 2018, Monte Carlo - Race 6/21

Rate the 2018 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
More boring than the same race I saw in person five years ago. I'm so pleased to hear top drivers finally tell the truth, that Monaco is not a race.

Really pleased for Ricciardo but please, let this be the last ever F1 winner of an F1 race at Monaco and get rid of this abomination. There are good F1 tracks, there are average F1 tracks and there are poor F1 tracks, and then there's Monaco. It is trading on a history that was last decent when most of the audience Liberty are hoping to capture weren't even born let alone able to watch a TV and think about enjoying motorsport. F1 is like a beaten spouse, just continuing to go back because he / she loves me really and the next time it will be better, and it isn't the track that's the problem, it is me for not appreciating and understanding it enough.

Just get rid of it for Christ's sake.

Soldato
think they need to consider naming the tyres better too.

Hyper soft, super soft, ultra soft i forgot which compound was with so many times and never new which tyre was which when they where discussing tactics.

Maybe change them to M M M M Monster soft! ?

Soldato
I think they are already on that, sure i read something recently where they said that FIA have told them to drop the silly names, compounds will be named something simple like a-f or whatever and during race the three chosen compounds for that weekend would be referred to simply as Soft/Med/Hard.

I'm not sure where i stand with that, I'm sure some may have difficulty remembering whats what and it will be much easier for newcomers to understand, but its kind of belittling to F1 core fanbase. See, I've always been under the impression that the majority of F1 followers/fans are of the type that like or are interested in the detail/technology etc. I for one have never really had trouble following tyre compounds or rules/regs in general, dont get me wrong i dont have a deep understanding but i have enough knowledge to easily follow whats going on and the development etc. I think its another case of FIA & Liberty getting buried in the weeds, focusing too much on the little insignificant issues with F1, when they should be directing all attention to the bigger problems. They are focused on the little wins, things they can change with little effort or investment of time and money so they can turn round to the investors/public and say oh look we've done all this...

Sorry that just turned into a ramble but i'm sure you get where i'm coming from.

Associate
I think they are already on that, sure i read something recently where they said that FIA have told them to drop the silly names, compounds will be named something simple like a-f or whatever and during race the three chosen compounds for that weekend would be referred to simply as Soft/Med/Hard.

The FIA told FOM to change the tyre icons from 'S' with light pink, purple and red for hypersofts, ultrasofts and supersofts respectively to icons with H, U and S instead. I don't think we'll see a soft/med/hard classification for every race.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think the hyper and ultra names should be switched? If I didn't watch F1 and heard all the tyre names, I would assume the ultrasofts were the quickest.

Soldato
The FIA told FOM to change the tyre icons from 'S' with light pink, purple and red for hypersofts, ultrasofts and supersofts respectively to icons with H, U and S instead. I don't think we'll see a soft/med/hard classification for every race.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think the hyper and ultra names should be switched? If I didn't watch F1 and heard all the tyre names, I would assume the ultrasofts were the quickest.
This was the article i was thinking of.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/24/pirelli-change-f1-tyre-names-2019/

Soldato
Not a fan of Ocon letting Hamilton through so easily. That's worse than even Sauber did back in the early 00s and the hatred was piled on Sauber back then, so I'm surprised to see so little outrage here. It was clearly a pre-agreed move.

Soooo... Anyone watching Indy500 after this?
That was worse than even Monaco as it turned out!

Williams brakes were getting too hot and were cracking the wheel rims. :eek:

Not seen that before iirc.
If you watch Hamilton's stop the right-front wheel itself was smoking after they took it off the car!

Caporegime
Man of Honour
That was a 1/10 and even though the other races so far this year have been nothing special this is the first one I started nodding off while watching. It's way past the time that Monaco should be taken off the calendar, it's just not suitable for racing F1 cars. If they want to keep it then make it a non championship demonstration or something. Let's hope Canada will be better.

Back
Top Bottom